hi, i recently decided that i need a new pair of cans. However, i cannot decide what to get. I listen to a wide range of music so i need headphone that is good all around. My current headphones that im using is the Denon ahd 5000 and the Shure Se215. I love the bassyness of these cans but however i beleive that i need a change. What im looking at right now are the Grado 325i, Grado Rs2i and the Heir audio 4.ai and 3.ai. I really want a headphone that will run well without a amp because i will be carrying these new ones around. The bleed in sound is not a issue FYI. Also it would be great to keep the price under 500. Thank you in advance
- productGrado RS 2itagged by System, 8/12/12
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 8/12/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/12/12
- productHeir Audio 3 Atagged by System, 8/12/12
- productHeir Audio 4 Atagged by System, 8/12/12
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 8/12/12
- productSennheiser HD 558tagged by System, 8/12/12
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser IE8 replacements - opinions wanted! Last post on 7/25/12 at 8:45am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread Last post on 6/24/13 at 3:09am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Have a neck issue. Need a light weight open can. Last post on 12/14/12 at 1:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need open headphones or IEMS Last post on 8/10/12 at 11:17pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
Introduction:The newest member of Noble Audio’s line of IEMs, the Savant, has taken Head-Fi by storm and has caught the attention of many eager Head-Fier – myself included. Noble’s reputation for...
These headphones will let you know if your source is good or not. I won't repeat much of the pros and cons of this headphone that hasn't already been said. These are really comfortable for...
Out-of-box experience.....Accessories and packaging Receiving and unboxing the RHA T20 gives the impression that this product is not just "some" product. Everything signals quality and thought....
Firstly, like to thank Billy from Busisoft for organising the Westone UM PRO 10 for this review. Westone needs no introduction, they are one of the industry leaders for professional monitors...
Need Open headphones or IEMS!!post #1 of 148/10/12 at 8:07pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 148/10/12 at 10:02pm
You need to post on the Portable IEM section of the forum to get folks who best know those items.
With regard to the Grados, I'm not sure what you mean with regard to how you be using these new can by "carrying them around". Generally speaking the Grado woodies are probably too delicate for this type of use. In addition both the the Grados you mentioned have a long, thick cord/cable. Is that OK?post #3 of 148/10/12 at 10:28pmThread Starterpost #4 of 148/10/12 at 10:30pmThread Starterpost #5 of 148/10/12 at 11:14pm
In that case I highly recommend the RS2i (which can be had at a discount from Amazon and elsewhere once in a while) and an affordable protective case like this one:post #6 of 148/10/12 at 11:19pmThread Starterpost #7 of 148/10/12 at 11:31pmQuote:
I think so--at least when I was able to get it at a $100 off. However, it will depend on what you want and your budget. In fact I would select the Alessandro MS2 (which is based on the 325is) over the 325is because the Alessandro tames the highs a bit. This is especially true if you are not using a tube or hyrid amp--which understand is your situation.
Placed at the top of the SR line, the 325/MS2 is a transition can from the SR line to RS line. The SR line gives you that classic Grado wall of sound. The 325/MS adds build quality, better cable, clarity, separation, bass and little sound stage that its less expensive SR siblings lack. The RS2i is a different animal in many ways. The wall of sound is gone, replaced by greater clarity, separation and sound stage, plus more bass and great range in general. It pulls apart the music and allows you to pick out each individual musical voice--at the cost of the SR slam/in your face sound.
Edited by KG Jag - 8/10/12 at 11:32pmpost #8 of 148/11/12 at 8:45amThread Starterpost #9 of 148/11/12 at 8:50amThread StarterAlso however I'm starting to think that buying a expensive can will make me worry too much about damaging it during travel. For that reason what do you guys think will be the best for UNDER 200. The audio technica ath ad 700 looks promising and so does the superluxpost #10 of 148/11/12 at 9:46pmThread Starterpost #11 of 148/11/12 at 9:53pmpost #12 of 148/11/12 at 9:58pmThread Starterpost #13 of 148/11/12 at 10:01pmQuote:
If you want neutral Senns within your budget, you should look at the HD 600.
- Need Open headphones or IEMS!!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton? 53 seconds ago
- › Huge Comparison of [almost] all the best Bluetooth Headphones -... 2 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW first look at the Macaw GT100S IEMs by... 3 minutes ago
- › Vorzüge VorzAMP PURE II - review and impressions 4 minutes ago
- › silver dragon iem cable shure connector 5 minutes ago
- › Introducing The Cozoy Astrapi: Hi-Res Lineout audio from your... 7 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio Micro iDAC2 8 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 8 minutes ago
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 9 minutes ago
- › Seattle Secret meet 5/31/2015 9 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio Savant by Cotnijoe
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by snellemin
- › Don Scorpio sMushroom HD Bluetooth iem by Baycode
- › RHA T20 by rasmushorn
- › Westone UM Pro10 High Performance Single Driver Noise-Isolating... by pformagg
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by suman134
- › Noontec Hammo S Over Ear Headphone Audiophile Sound Stylish Looking... by Lunatique
- › OPPO PM-3 by RazrLeaf
- › Xtreme Xplosives In Ear by Omar717
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by morethansense
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)