hi, i recently decided that i need a new pair of cans. However, i cannot decide what to get. I listen to a wide range of music so i need headphone that is good all around. My current headphones that im using is the Denon ahd 5000 and the Shure Se215. I love the bassyness of these cans but however i beleive that i need a change. What im looking at right now are the Grado 325i, Grado Rs2i and the Heir audio 4.ai and 3.ai. I really want a headphone that will run well without a amp because i will be carrying these new ones around. The bleed in sound is not a issue FYI. Also it would be great to keep the price under 500. Thank you in advance
- productGrado RS 2itagged by System, 8/12/12
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 8/12/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/12/12
- productHeir Audio 3 Atagged by System, 8/12/12
- productHeir Audio 4 Atagged by System, 8/12/12
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 8/12/12
- productSennheiser HD-558tagged by System, 8/12/12
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser IE8 replacements - opinions wanted! Last post on 7/25/12 at 8:45am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread Last post on 6/24/13 at 3:09am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Have a neck issue. Need a light weight open can. Last post on 12/14/12 at 1:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need open headphones or IEMS Last post on 8/10/12 at 11:17pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
I like to mod…yes, I am one of those head-fiers. My specific area of interest is Grados, and wooden cups for them. I delight in sourcing cups, finding the drivers, and transforming a prosaic...
The Korean company really needs no introduction at this point. They have proven themselves as a capable IEM maker with a series of top of the line hybrid as well as some good sound yet budget...
These iems are better than some entry levels (Shure 215/ hifiman RE0/ RE 400/ Sennheiser CX300) with a wider soundstage due to the 13mm dynamic driver , however need serious burn in for at least 50...
First, I’d like to thank the folks at Narmoo for providing a sample of their R1M earphones for review. In recent years, the IEM market has sort of exploded, seeing a number of established...
I work with Trance music most ... Before The New released update 3.0 for the thing i wasn't really satisfied with its quality of sound in trance ...but the update Changed everything ,EVERYthing...
Need Open headphones or IEMS!!post #1 of 148/10/12 at 8:07pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 148/10/12 at 10:02pm
You need to post on the Portable IEM section of the forum to get folks who best know those items.
With regard to the Grados, I'm not sure what you mean with regard to how you be using these new can by "carrying them around". Generally speaking the Grado woodies are probably too delicate for this type of use. In addition both the the Grados you mentioned have a long, thick cord/cable. Is that OK?post #3 of 148/10/12 at 10:28pmThread Starterpost #4 of 148/10/12 at 10:30pmThread Starterpost #5 of 148/10/12 at 11:14pm
In that case I highly recommend the RS2i (which can be had at a discount from Amazon and elsewhere once in a while) and an affordable protective case like this one:post #6 of 148/10/12 at 11:19pmThread Starterpost #7 of 148/10/12 at 11:31pmQuote:
I think so--at least when I was able to get it at a $100 off. However, it will depend on what you want and your budget. In fact I would select the Alessandro MS2 (which is based on the 325is) over the 325is because the Alessandro tames the highs a bit. This is especially true if you are not using a tube or hyrid amp--which understand is your situation.
Placed at the top of the SR line, the 325/MS2 is a transition can from the SR line to RS line. The SR line gives you that classic Grado wall of sound. The 325/MS adds build quality, better cable, clarity, separation, bass and little sound stage that its less expensive SR siblings lack. The RS2i is a different animal in many ways. The wall of sound is gone, replaced by greater clarity, separation and sound stage, plus more bass and great range in general. It pulls apart the music and allows you to pick out each individual musical voice--at the cost of the SR slam/in your face sound.
Edited by KG Jag - 8/10/12 at 11:32pmpost #8 of 148/11/12 at 8:45amThread Starterpost #9 of 148/11/12 at 8:50amThread StarterAlso however I'm starting to think that buying a expensive can will make me worry too much about damaging it during travel. For that reason what do you guys think will be the best for UNDER 200. The audio technica ath ad 700 looks promising and so does the superluxpost #10 of 148/11/12 at 9:46pmThread Starterpost #11 of 148/11/12 at 9:53pmpost #12 of 148/11/12 at 9:58pmThread Starterpost #13 of 148/11/12 at 10:01pmQuote:
If you want neutral Senns within your budget, you should look at the HD 600.
- Need Open headphones or IEMS!!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › FiiO X5 beta firmware 2.06beta-2.07beta download and discussion: ... 30 seconds ago
- › Grado e Series 47 seconds ago
- › NocturnaL Audio Custom Headphone Cables 1 minute ago
- › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 2 minutes ago
- › Audiophile by accident . The Hobby: An Unexpected Journey 3 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 5 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 6 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 9 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by shak85
- › C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp by shak85
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by cel4145
- › TDK BA200 by Ch1Kn
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Xyrium
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)