- 4,091 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headamp Pico Unsampling DAC serial# 099 (Black) Last post on 9/8/16 at 1:40am in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- Macbook pro's build-in DAC vs FiiO E10? Last post on 12/6/16 at 4:58am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Best amp DAC for hd800 Last post on 10/31/12 at 6:10am in Dedicated Source Components
- Portable USB DAC to drive headphones and maybe speakers Last post on 10/13/12 at 1:57pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
I like these just a little better than my Sony MDR XB90ex, which I think is saying a lot. They both have a very ergonomic design that allows them to stay in ear securely and comfortably for...
TOTL (Top-of the line) is something you hear quite often around Head-Fi. The cream of the crop of the audio-world. While that may be true in most instances, investing into a 1200$+ product seems...
Firstly I would like to thank iFi for this sample to review, as always I try to write honest reviews, this unit has had over 50hrs of burn-in, no real differences were noted. Gear Used: HP...
At 240 dollars new (price I paid) there is not a single headphone in the world with better price/performance ratio. Each song is a new listening experience and these sound far superior to any other...
I am writing this because I have read so much more than I have written, and I believe it's time to give back. There are two new versions of JVC's famous Bass iem: The FX99X and the FX77X, I am...
Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC/Preamp/Amplifier Thread - Page 14post #196 of 34312/11/13 at 3:23amThanks
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #197 of 34312/14/13 at 2:33pmThe "preamp" function is somewhat of a confusing issue, as many folks consider "preamp" to mean that the DAC can be connected directly to an amp and can use its own (remote if possible) volume control. Well, this is true of ALL Mytek Stereo 192 models, not just the one they call "preamp" (to differentiate it from the "mastering" model). The way Mytek defines "preamp" is to add rca analog inputs into the DAC, thereby making it not only a volume attenuator but also both a digital (of course) and analog switcher.
As a remote volume DAC (the remote codes are in the user manual and work perfectly) it is ok, but not great. As Michal and I have discussed ad nauseum, for a budget of $1500 they had to make sacrifices, and one area IMHO, is the variable analog stage. It suffices, but is wayyy better (again IMHO ) in bypass mode, which then requires the user to use a preamp or integrated amp (or active speakers, etc). Also, as a Mytek-defined preamp the analog ins are clean and would suffice for someone who primarily listens to digital but needs a secondary analog source for those few times.
Note: the simple difference between the preamp model I am discussing and the mastering model Bruce is using is the choice between RCA analog ins or a set of pro-level SDIF DSD ins (Bruce can hook his Sonoma directly to it). In both cases, remote analog volume is still a menu selection.
As you can tell, this little wonder box has a lot of features, not to mention user set-able DSD and PCM filters, upsampling, etc.
This is a quick review as I found as well the dac is best used in biomass with any volume control. And it greatly improves how it soundspost #198 of 34312/14/13 at 3:55pmpost #199 of 34312/14/13 at 6:00pmpost #200 of 34312/14/13 at 10:12pmpost #201 of 34312/15/13 at 12:45pmQuote:
I had a 121. The first one had issues and was returned. Tried a second one.
It was just ok, as a headphone amp it had barely enough power to run the HE-500. As a DAC it was decent, running neck & neck with the Calyx 24/192. It was a real pain to pick up the remote every time you wanted to do anything since that was the only way to operate it.
I think the Mytek is far better in almost every way.post #202 of 34312/15/13 at 1:03pmpost #203 of 34312/15/13 at 1:12pmpost #204 of 34312/15/13 at 1:52pmWhat I meant was the mytek has a dac, an preamp and a headphone amp. In the setup menu you can disable the preamp function and just use the dac at line level output. Try it as the sound is much better with out the preamp.post #205 of 34312/15/13 at 4:39pmpost #206 of 34312/15/13 at 4:42pmpost #207 of 34312/15/13 at 5:59pmQuote:
Yes I use it with the fixed output and control the volume on my Woopost #208 of 34312/16/13 at 3:52ampost #209 of 34312/16/13 at 4:29am
- Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC/Preamp/Amplifier Thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
- › Headphone limitations and when to draw the line on Source components 8 seconds ago
- › Can't Decide (Portable Headphones) 43 seconds ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 minute ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 1 minute ago
- › Sonore microRendu Music Streamer impressions 1 minute ago
- › DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar... 3 minutes ago
- › Mint Anti Cables Level 4.2 Reference PLUS Silver RCA Analog... 4 minutes ago
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds 5 minutes ago
- › Cowon Plenue D 5 minutes ago
- › Sony In-Ear Dynamic Headphones MDR-XB70-B (Black) by aafanatic
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by FUYU
- › iFi Micro iTube2 Vacuum Tube Buffer and Preamplifier by ostewart
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by Jiawen Zhen
- › JVC Hi-Res corresponding canal type earphone HA-FX99X-B (Black) by aafanatic
- › Grado Labs SR80e by audiophilefan
- › UITaudio PMP-353P by Army-Firedawg
- › UITaudio PMP-354P by Army-Firedawg
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ngoshawk
- › Onkyo Over Ear Headphone (H900MB/27) by Sonic Defender
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear