Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › LF: IEM Version of AKG's Q701
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LF: IEM Version of AKG's Q701

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Hiya! This is my first post here, but I been looking around here for a week before joining! 

 

Lets get down to business, I'm pretty much content with the q701 and would love to be able to have some IEM's with similar sound signature. Yeah, q701 is a bit big to take out often... I will not be in high noise areas, so, sound isolation isn't a priority nor is a mic or audio controls.

 

I will be listening to a wide variety of genre, most commonly classical and club music, yeah, two completely different types of music! 

 

So far, I have looked at some UE's TripleFi 10 and HiFiMan's Re-Zero and Re262. I would like to keep it under $500, any recommendations or suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

 

-WB

post #2 of 15
Thread Starter 

Bumping for Muffins!

 

Err... Actually for answers, yep, still looking for suggestions and thingamajigs!

 

- WB

post #3 of 15
tf 10 has a similar sounding to q701.
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofastreamer View Post

tf 10 has a similar sounding to q701.

Imo, the TF10 sounds nothing like the Q701. Try the RE272. 

post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post

Imo, the TF10 sounds nothing like the Q701. Try the RE272. 

 

Agreed.. Nothing like the Q.. The e-Q5 was probably closest. The B2 is similar but a little too dry and lacks the bass of the Q's.  The GR07 was also close.  The pfe112 was very similar as well.  None of them capture the Q's soundstage or overall flavor but they come closer than the TF10. 

post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyRusso View Post

 

Agreed.. Nothing like the Q.. The e-Q5 was probably closest. The B2 is similar but a little too dry and lacks the bass of the Q's.  The GR07 was also close.  The pfe112 was very similar as well.  None of them capture the Q's soundstage or overall flavor but they come closer than the TF10. 

 

The GR10 could actually be a good option, too. 

post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post

 

The GR10 could actually be a good option, too. 

I have both. Works for me. Please, if you try the GR10 don't resell after 20 hours. Give them a couple hundred vigorous ones before you judge.

700


Edited by goodvibes - 8/14/12 at 3:28pm
post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 

Well, Thank you for the replies so far! I'm intrigued by those Ortofon IEM's, and as a bonus, they look nice too! 

 

That kind of widened the product choices now, it's between the RE262, 272, and E-Q5.

 

Still trying to figure out if I want to actually get something more analytical or something more fun. Having a analytical microscope at home is fine but in the end, I may as well get something little more warmer for use outdoors.

 

I see more extensive research in the foreseeable future!

post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBreeze0318 View Post

Well, Thank you for the replies so far! I'm intrigued by those Ortofon IEM's, and as a bonus, they look nice too! 

 

That kind of widened the product choices now, it's between the RE262, 272, and E-Q5.

 

Still trying to figure out if I want to actually get something more analytical or something more fun. Having a analytical microscope at home is fine but in the end, I may as well get something little more warmer for use outdoors.

 

I see more extensive research in the foreseeable future!


Not sure why you're not, but you sure really add the GR10 to your list... Sounds to me perfect for you. 

post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 

I looked at it at first and I just couldn't find it brand new, that's why, just looked at it again and found it new!

 

It definitely is on the list now, trying to read more reviews and opinions on it, sadly I can't try any of them first hand... Especially when the closest place that sells headphones or IEM's is Bestbuy.

post #11 of 15

uhm... ba200 anyone? Sure the bass is on the light side, but more fun than the b2 from what i've read and a tiny bit laid back. It's the closest thing i've heard... then again i haven't heard that many.

 

I'm hoping the 3/4ai from heir audio will be the one.

"Fingers crossed*

post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegR View Post

uhm... ba200 anyone? Sure the bass is on the light side, but more fun than the b2 from what i've read and a tiny bit laid back. It's the closest thing i've heard... then again i haven't heard that many.

 

I'm hoping the 3/4ai from heir audio will be the one.

"Fingers crossed*

Actually never thought about a pair of custom IEM's! HA's Heir 4.A would be pretty high up on the budget, especially with the forms that I would have to get, but it would save money to go with the 4.Ai for sure.

 

So many choices, and such riches aplenty!

post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyRusso View Post

 

Agreed.. Nothing like the Q.. The e-Q5 was probably closest. The B2 is similar but a little too dry and lacks the bass of the Q's.  The GR07 was also close.  The pfe112 was very similar as well.  None of them capture the Q's soundstage or overall flavor but they come closer than the TF10. 

ok, i have them both here side by side. if i am wrong, i might have some kind of inner ear illness. and the gr07, i also have, is no where near the q701. but i agree with the phonak. with grey filters, they could be a good choice.

post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 

For closure, I have ordered the RE262 after I auditioned my friend's, they should be showing up in around five days, can't wait!

 

Biggest reason for getting these was to save the money and shift my focus towards acquiring the HD800 for in-home use, not a compromise when the RE262 was pretty fantastic for the half an hour I used it! Though, maybe someday I may upgrade up... Heck, that's part of the hobby, It'll come sooner or later!

 

Thank you very much to everyone that helped!

 

- WB

post #15 of 15

I'm also looking for IEM's similar to the Q701's.

For example:
Sound signature as close as possible to the Q701 (tight extended bass, clear mids (no veil), detailed highs)

 

A big soundstage if possible

I looked up the sony 7550, but people have mentioned issues about it being sensitive to picking up wind microphonics. I'm worried because I'm using it as a portable solution for the summer.
I looked up the sennheiser IE80, the sound signature looks great for outdoor use, but I like clear mids.

 

I'm driving my portable cans off a FiiO X3, so amping shouldn't be a problem here.
Now, for the final factor: Under $250. Anything over has to really be justified, because I got my Q701's for $180.
I don't mind if it's used, because I'm the 3rd owner of the Q701's.


Edited by Nec3 - 6/3/14 at 11:09pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › LF: IEM Version of AKG's Q701