I have used the 3.Ai for a few month now and thought I share my impressions. In short, I am very disappointed.
- they look great.
- isolation is absolutely fantastic. Best I ever experienced with an IEM
- sound stage is nice (but not as good as the IE80 IMO, but close)
- reasonably comfortable to wear
- bass: nice, but not too impressive. A little flabby perhaps, but not offensively so.
- mids: vocals feel somewhat recessed and distant (compared to a IE80 or SE535). This could be because the highs are so dominant and mask the mids, I don't know. I don't feel like troubleshooting.
- build quality: I have dropouts on one side occasionally when I move my head. After some fiddling with the connector (which is not exactly sophisticated) I managed to fix the problem. This should not be needed with equipment in this price range.
- highs: extremely bright and nasty, nasty nasty. I think piercing is a good word for it. My ears hurt after listening to music for a few minutes, even at low to moderate volumes. I have heard phones that I think are overly bright, but never anything like that. I hoped this would get better over time, but no luck.
I always tell people to audition phones before they buy them, but I of course I ordered them blindly and got burned - badly. I will get over it. I wish I had the same experience as the people in here who seem to love them, but this was not to be.
Edited by Happy Hamlet - 2/14/13 at 12:01pm