Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › QUICK: SE535, Westone UM3X, or Westone 4Rs?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

QUICK: SE535, Westone UM3X, or Westone 4Rs?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

Hi, I'm choosing between the three mentioned in the title, the SE535, Westone UM3X, or Westone 4R. They seem to be what I'm looking for, something that'll really bring out the detail in music, namely baroque pop/indie rock/classical/jazz/etc. 

 

So, what do you think is best for me? I generally have long commutes and would like a good everyday IEM to take on the go. 

 

Thanks! 

post #2 of 18
You would be happy with any of them. I would get the Westone 4 and never return to this site.
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasdoc View Post

You would be happy with any of them. I would get the Westone 4 and never return to this site.


x1

post #4 of 18
Or you can get the Heir 4.Ai which has the same driver configuration as the W4 and look a lot better and is a better package. Obviously sounds phenomenal. I would go there!
post #5 of 18

535 seems to be among the top overated iems

 

look the thread about overated iems

also if you dig neutral balanced sound , the re-272 is a great pick

post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by proedros View Post

535 seems to be among the top overated iems

 

look the thread about overated iems

also if you dig neutral balanced sound , the re-272 is a great pick

 

I found the SE535 to be far better than that. Its not overrated for certain genres, like folk, pop, etc. Its vocals are stellar and its bass is among the best universal iems, amazingly controlled and well extended. I really don't like its treble though and it shows its weaknesses on well recorded classical. 

post #7 of 18

I've heard both the IM3X and the se-535's. The UM3X were the better ones for me. Very warm, better bass, and very intimate. The se535's sound very cold in comparison, and kind of boring.

post #8 of 18

Stay away from UM3X if you are looking for clarity. The details are there but you need to pay a lot of attention to hear them because of the very limited clarity especially in the midrange.

post #9 of 18

I think UM3X has great clarity.  It's certainly not a bright IEM but everything is there.  It's just buttery smooth.

 

I agree on SE535 being over-rated.  For a triple driver everything just seems really reigned in or boxed in and conservative sounding.  While the midrange is good the forward sound is distracting and really takes away from the bass and treble which seem distant.

post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

I think UM3X has great clarity.  It's certainly not a bright IEM but everything is there.  It's just buttery smooth.

 

I agree on SE535 being over-rated.  For a triple driver everything just seems really reigned in or boxed in and conservative sounding.  While the midrange is good the forward sound is distracting and really takes away from the bass and treble which seem distant.

I guess it depends on on which IEMs you compare them to. To me it was way too smooth/thick and vocals just sounded not clear enough especially compared to IEMs such as Grado GR10 or Yamaha EPH-100. 

post #11 of 18

Okay frm what i knw  .. U cant go wrong with a Westone 4 or R lol.....

post #12 of 18
Of the three the OP asked about, I have both the SE535 and W4R. I really can't agree that the SE535s are overrated. Nor do I find the mid range over powers the bass and treble. I can't help but wonder if there has been seal issues for some reviewers of the Shures. They are far less forgiving to a bad seal. I have quite large canals and must use the large foam tips to get a good seal. With them I find them. Very satisfying for Jazz and classical music. The low frequencies are nicely done with good resonance. Double basses sound really nice with them, yet cymbal brushes are present without being tiring.

On the other hand, the W4Rs are in my opinion much more forgiving to seal issues. I use the large Comply tips that came with the kit and have tried many others but I like the Complys best. The W4s are more neutral than the Shures. About the same bass response but more veiled treble than the SE535s.

I have a pair of Shure 840 full size headphones which seem to be regarded as quite neutral in many reviews and thus I use them as the benchmark for comparing other phones as to neutrality. The W4Rs I have are almost identical in sound signature and stage to the 840s to me. The 535s are more lively and I confess the more I listen to them, I am falling back in love with them. I purchased the W4s after the 535s thinking that the 3way, 4 BAs would be superior sounding. But despite being neutral, I am just not liking them as much especially with Jazz which makes up a good proportion of my listening. I've been listening to Diana Krall, Live in Paris while writing this and her vocals are just beautiful with the 535s but the clarity of the backing guitar, bass and drums is so detailed and pure, I think I have to give my vote to the Shures. The Westones are just a little muddy to me in comparison.

Wile I've never heard them, I doubt the UM3X would bring anything more to the music than some more bass going by various reviews I've read of them. Can't see that helping most of the music the OP asked about.

My 2 cents for those interested in these buds.
post #13 of 18
Se535: not overrated imo, mostly because head-fi dropped that baby ages ago. Somewhat mid-focused and lush, extended linear bass, treble is kinda peaky and notably lacking extension. Not terribly detailed. Stage is okay overall, kinda average really.

Um3x: warm, emphasized bass and midrange, treble is shelved as per westone's stage monitor approach. Don't look for air here. Small upfront stage, excellent separation of instruments.

W4r: a more neutral iem, slight emphasis on the midbass. Nicest treble of the three, in that there is a treble that has pretty good extension. Very wide stage, depth is okay with most of the um3x instrument separation.
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by briskly View Post

Se535: not overrated imo, mostly because head-fi dropped that baby ages ago. Somewhat mid-focused and lush, extended linear bass, treble is kinda peaky and notably lacking extension. Not terribly detailed. Stage is okay overall, kinda average really.
Um3x: warm, emphasized bass and midrange, treble is shelved as per westone's stage monitor approach. Don't look for air here. Small upfront stage, excellent separation of instruments.
W4r: a more neutral iem, slight emphasis on the midbass. Nicest treble of the three, in that there is a treble that has pretty good extension. Very wide stage, depth is okay with most of the um3x instrument separation.

Agree 100% on all 3 descriptions.

post #15 of 18

I had the SE535 as most of the people here mentioned, they're indeed overrated. I tried a couple of time the Westone 4R, and, compare to the SE535, it sounds much better (i.e. more balanced sound and better extension).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › QUICK: SE535, Westone UM3X, or Westone 4Rs?