Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Can't decide on sound card.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can't decide on sound card. - Page 2

post #16 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

Only if by "newer Creative cards", you mean the Recon3D line.

The X-Fi Titanium HD is an overall competent card, unlike most Creative efforts. Call me lucky, but I have no major problems with the drivers.
it's not the drivers
that can be fixed with the newer alsa driver or pax drivers
all the new SB cards suck IMO, I never used the HD tho. it wont even work in Linux lol tongue.gif
I tried just about every other xfi card tho
if you can get one cheap/free then go for it, they arn't all bad. I just know there is better out there for about the same price
Edited by voodoo do-er - 8/10/12 at 1:16am
post #17 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSushi2 View Post

I play a lot of total war games and other games that run CL software technology. I also have my own amp for headphones and a set of 2.1 speakers for music, etc. I am not worried about digital to analog, etc. I honestly want a good card that will make my gaming experience amazing. I only use the audio on my pc for games and music/youtube videos. I use my TVs for everything else. 

BTW This MSI Realtek (Realcrap is more like it) is erking the hell out of me. Horrible software they designed. As soon as I change a source is freezes and I have to reload the program every time.
unless your playing old games like doom or quake, a SB is no different then a asus card or any other card.
I used to use a SB xfi then switched to a HT omega cliro plus+ and never looked back. BTW I have played most total war games and seen nothing about SB cards in the games other then EAX, most cards have eax2 or 3
but TBH I find that my omega card has more software bundled with it, most of it is grate for gaming with cans

if your going to buy anything SB I'd go with the audigy 2 ZS gold, but I have no clue how that card is with new games
I have one in my laptop and love it for music
Edited by voodoo do-er - 8/10/12 at 1:15am
post #18 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo do-er View Post


unless your playing old games like doom or quake, a SB is no different then a asus card or any other card.
I used to use a SB xfi then switched to a HT omega cliro plus+ and never looked back. BTW I have played most total war games and seen nothing about SB cards in the games other then EAX, most cards have eax2 or 3
but TBH I find that my omega card has more software bundled with it, most of it is grate for gaming with cans
if your going to buy anything SB I'd go with the audigy 2 ZS gold, but I have no clue how that card is with new games
I have one in my laptop and love it for music

Uh... they advertise Sound Blaster X-Fi before every Total War game. Just watch the intro and there it is. "Better on CL SB X-FI" or w/e it says.

 

Here is a low down of the major PC games I play or have played.

 

TW: Almost every total war including the mods.

Fallout 1&2

HOMM (Heroes of Might and Magic) Almost all of them.

SC1, SC2, soon to be SC Universe.

D1, D2, D3.

WC2, WC3

Red Alert 1, 2, 3.

Any awesome RPG that deserves a computer. Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3, Way of the Samurai type games.

AOE 1, 2, 3.

Counter Strike

BF3.

 

Mostly RPG and RTS games but a few FPS if their worthy of using a PC. Otherwise I play on xbox.

post #19 of 70

One thing to note is that it seems that ST/STX don't allow Dolby Headphone on RCA out (used to connect to external amp), perhaps someone can confirm this...

post #20 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by kn19h7 View Post

One thing to note is that it seems that ST/STX don't allow Dolby Headphone on RCA out (used to connect to external amp), perhaps someone can confirm this...

True, the Essence STX/ST can not output any surround sound (Dolby Headphone) thru the RCA outputs, the RCA outputs are just basic 2.0 channel stereo.

The Essence STX/ST can output Dolby Headphone surround sound thru the S/PDIF (optical/coaxial) output.

post #21 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo do-er View Post
it's not the drivers
that can be fixed with the newer alsa driver or pax drivers
all the new SB cards suck IMO, I never used the HD tho. it wont even work in Linux lol tongue.gif
I tried just about every other xfi card tho
if you can get one cheap/free then go for it, they arn't all bad. I just know there is better out there for about the same price

 

Oh dear, the Linux driver situation...it took several years for my X-Fi Prelude to "just work" in Linux without having to recompile drivers after a kernel update, and it still took a bit longer for distros to start supporting the X-Fi Titanium HD without problem. It's a much better situation now, but I still wouldn't recommend X-Fi cards or most other Creative hardware if your primary OS isn't Windows.

 

Do note that most of the cards I've used tend to be the higher-end ones, specifically the X-Fi Prelude, X-Fi Forte, and X-Fi Titanium HD. I haven't spent much time with the cheaper ones.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo do-er View Post
unless your playing old games like doom or quake, a SB is no different then a asus card or any other card.
I used to use a SB xfi then switched to a HT omega cliro plus+ and never looked back. BTW I have played most total war games and seen nothing about SB cards in the games other then EAX, most cards have eax2 or 3
but TBH I find that my omega card has more software bundled with it, most of it is grate for gaming with cans
if your going to buy anything SB I'd go with the audigy 2 ZS gold, but I have no clue how that card is with new games
I have one in my laptop and love it for music

 

Doom and Quake are too old to make use of hardware-accelerated audio; I'm not even sure if most source ports even bother with implementing it. Now, if we were talking Quake III Arena or Doom 3, that would be a different matter...I'd say it's around 1997 that hardware-accelerated 3D audio began to take off and was in full swing by 1999. Back then, Creative actually had competition from Aureal and Sensaura and so forth before they bought them up...

 

The advantage I find with X-Fi cards in DirectSound3D and OpenAL games isn't just EAX 3/4/5 support, but CMSS-3D Headphone's ability to use the 3D positional audio information when mixing to present a proper 3D binaural mix, not just virtualized 7.1.

 

Of course, your main point here is that most recent games (generally from 2007 onward) don't use DS3D or OAL in the first place. I admit that I'm a bit more into older games than most, and I do make the point in my PC gaming audio guide that if you don't care for such titles, then you get no particular advantage with X-Fi hardware and you can use whatever sound card you want. But on the off chance that someone does want to fire up some Unreal Tournament or Battlefield 2 or Killing Floor or Bioshock or whatnot, I still tend to consider X-Fi cards first for gaming if they're reasonably priced.

post #22 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

 

Oh dear, the Linux driver situation...it took several years for my X-Fi Prelude to "just work" in Linux without having to recompile drivers after a kernel update, and it still took a bit longer for distros to start supporting the X-Fi Titanium HD without problem. It's a much better situation now, but I still wouldn't recommend X-Fi cards or most other Creative hardware if your primary OS isn't Windows.

 

Do note that most of the cards I've used tend to be the higher-end ones, specifically the X-Fi Prelude, X-Fi Forte, and X-Fi Titanium HD. I haven't spent much time with the cheaper ones.

 

 

Doom and Quake are too old to make use of hardware-accelerated audio; I'm not even sure if most source ports even bother with implementing it. Now, if we were talking Quake III Arena or Doom 3, that would be a different matter...I'd say it's around 1997 that hardware-accelerated 3D audio began to take off and was in full swing by 1999. Back then, Creative actually had competition from Aureal and Sensaura and so forth before they bought them up...

 

The advantage I find with X-Fi cards in DirectSound3D and OpenAL games isn't just EAX 3/4/5 support, but CMSS-3D Headphone's ability to use the 3D positional audio information when mixing to present a proper 3D binaural mix, not just virtualized 7.1.

 

Of course, your main point here is that most recent games (generally from 2007 onward) don't use DS3D or OAL in the first place. I admit that I'm a bit more into older games than most, and I do make the point in my PC gaming audio guide that if you don't care for such titles, then you get no particular advantage with X-Fi hardware and you can use whatever sound card you want. But on the off chance that someone does want to fire up some Unreal Tournament or Battlefield 2 or Killing Floor or Bioshock or whatnot, I still tend to consider X-Fi cards first for gaming if they're reasonably priced.

I love reading y'alls banter. I learn more by said debating than asking questions half the time. lol Yeah I really like that Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional, yada yada yada. (One hell of a title)

 

I too play older games such as DukeNukem 3D, Quake 1 (ALL THE EXPANSIONS! w00t w00t!), Duke Nukem (the original games) Doom 1-3, Quake 4 was awesome too. *never finished 2..* Shadow Warrior (Spin off of DN3D), SC 1, etc. etc. etc. I also want to get into ARMA 2 because of all the mods they make.

post #23 of 70

Let's not forget most older games have their digital sounds @22,050 Hz hi-fi isn't the word here, lol.

post #24 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushNerd View Post

Let's not forget most older games have their digital sounds @22,050 Hz hi-fi isn't the word here, lol.

lol I honestly want a SC that makes my games sound gorgeous. The Recon3D pro sounds like it would be the card for me because it seems most of my games were made around that sort of tech. I'm still on the fence and really don't care what I get, okay I do... I want a SB card lol. I just don't want to over pay. I think I want a SB card so bad because when I was a kid I always wanted one and a voodoo gpu but my dad never sprang the money on me and I was stuck playing games on prebuilt machines or on my sega, etc.

post #25 of 70
Thread Starter 

So I was looking up the HT Omega and other cards like that. Which is generally preferred out of the top brands. CL, HT, ASUS, etc.

post #26 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSushi2 View Post

So I was looking up the HT Omega and other cards like that. Which is generally preferred out of the top brands. CL, HT, ASUS, etc.

 

HT Omega is surprisingly devoid of recognition around here, but those who have their cards generally think they wipe the floor with Asus' offerings.

 

On the other hand, they're more expensive, and all but the eClaro use the old PCI interface.

 

I'm known for recommending X-Fi-based cards specifically (generally the Auzentech ones that aren't the Bravura or Creative's Titanium HD if budget permits), but only where PC gaming is concerned because Creative has all the good PC gaming audio tech in their iron grasp. Otherwise, any competent sound card will do.

post #27 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

 

HT Omega is surprisingly devoid of recognition around here

I've quickly noticed that after I bought one this month and took to these forums. I haven't gotten much positive feedback on it either. I'm not sure how many grains of salt I should carry around when people talk about the Asus essence being a better card for SQ. 

post #28 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo do-er View Post

stay away form newer Creative cards. out of the 3, go with the Xonar
you may what to look into omega sound cards smily_headphones1.gif

There's nothing wrong with the Titanium X-Fi HD card, it has similar components to the Xonar ST and STX just without the in-graded headphone amp. It actually a good card and do have op-amp sockets for swapping op-amps. Its a great card another option to have besides a Xonar ST and STX.

post #29 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSushi2 View Post

Uh... they advertise Sound Blaster X-Fi before every Total War game. Just watch the intro and there it is. "Better on CL SB X-FI" or w/e it says.

they say the same thing about the i7 too, it's all marketing
post #30 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post


Doom and Quake are too old to make use of hardware-accelerated audio; I'm not even sure if most source ports even bother with implementing it. Now, if we were talking Quake III Arena or Doom 3, that would be a different matter...I'd say it's around 1997 that hardware-accelerated 3D audio began to take off and was in full swing by 1999. Back then, Creative actually had competition from Aureal and Sensaura and so forth before they bought them up...
doom 3 and quake 4
it's all software now adays, heck vista and 7 cut out most hardware support for sound in dx , everything like eax is done in a software over layer.
if you want the software spoof it and run it on whatever you have.


edit
also the old doom, quake and other dos games have hardware accelerated audio, but it a completely different direction
it has to do with how midis and other module files are played. SB cards used a mpu, adlib cards use a Yamaha system, Roland systems used Linear Arithmetic, and GuS cards used a wavetable system
if you ever play old games in dosbox be sure to emulate the GuS or a Roland card in games that support them, your thank me smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by voodoo do-er - 8/12/12 at 10:14pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Can't decide on sound card.