I think I've narrowed it to Bottlehead Crack or DarkVoice 336SE. Any preferences between these, or something in the price range that I'm missing? Also, how hard are the Bottleheads to build. I'd like to to do it myself so I can do more kits in the future, but have no soldering experience. Is the factory option worth $150 or should it be something I can do myself? Thanks.
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 - 32 Ohmtagged by System, 3/1/13
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 8/13/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT880Stagged by System, 3/1/13
- productBottlehead Crack OTLtagged by System, 8/13/12
- productDarkvoice 336SEtagged by System, 8/13/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 8/13/12
- productWoo Audio WA3tagged by System, 8/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- Which amp for HD650 and DT880 600ohm! Last post on 7/18/12 at 4:49pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Recommended amps for HD650 and DT880/600? Last post on 11/15/12 at 6:31pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Final setup help. Specifically in choosing a DAC and possibly a sound card to pair with my... Last post on 11/9/12 at 11:00am in Dedicated Source Components
- Dac/Amp Pairing for Q701's and DT770-250 DT880/DT990-600hm Last post on 10/27/12 at 11:50am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- DT880 - Best Soundcard + Amp combo? Last post on 11/10/12 at 3:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
Woo Audio: FAQ and Product Troubleshoot
Last edited: 6/17/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
It might be one of your favorite cans if you pay an intense listen to them for a few hours. Really its a steal while you might get it for 60ish or 80ish. I got mine for 75 ish. I still wonder why...
The MEE Audio RX18P was sent to me from MEE Audio with the intention to compare it to some of the most popular Chinese budget offerings and let Mike know the result of my findings. The ida was not...
In the audio world, nobody can say we don’t have a tonne of choice available to us. Some audition gear with slight differences to find the piece that truly stands out to them. This...
A good sounding inexpensive product. As of my late work has pushed me to have to work at many hours at once on writing Visual Novels, I began asking myself if there is a buds solution that...
I just sell my Yamaha EPH-100, so before I forget how they sound I will write a little review here. My attempt for this micro driver earphones was BIG, especially because of the praise I found...
Buying an amp for DT880spost #1 of 158/8/12 at 8:21pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 158/9/12 at 5:42pmThread Starterpost #3 of 158/9/12 at 10:11pm
I'd try the Bottlehead if I were in your shoes. Had my 880 for 3 years on various SS before trying a DIY tube (Aikido, built by a friend) and that's definitely the best I've heard it.
The Crack keeps getting recommended by "old time" forummers for years, so it looks like the most sensible choice.post #4 of 158/10/12 at 8:35pmThread Starter
That confirms it, Crack it is. Now I just need to decide if I can build it myself or choose the factory option.
I'd really like to do it myself since I have plans to build the S.E.X. amp later maybe build a small bookshelf kit for my room so I don't have to sleep with headphones.
I have no doubt I could solder if I was healthy, but I have a muscle condition that causes double vision up close--it can be easily taken care of with an eye patch, but that means no depth perception.
I just had surgery that may correct it--I'll know in about six months, but don't plan to wait that long to buy. Really frustrating...especially since this is level one and I think the other kit is a higher level. Oh well, I'll make a decision sometime next week and put my order in.post #5 of 158/13/12 at 5:49amThread Starter
Unfortunately, I'm leaning toward the factory option due to the whole double vision problem. Haven't decided yet, but that would put me in a new price bracket. What's the best tube amp I can get for DT880, plus a planned purchased of DT990 sometime in the future. Lets say my budget is ~$500. Am I still looking at the crack or are there other choices now?post #6 of 158/13/12 at 6:12amThread Starterpost #7 of 158/13/12 at 6:20ampost #8 of 158/13/12 at 6:23amThread Starter
Would like to, but that would be the $500 budget + cost of having it built. What I'm afraid of is that the double vision, plus the fact I'm recovering from surgery, will make soldering difficult. If you could put my mind at ease and tell me I'll be able to build it just fine, that's the option I'll go with. Otherwise, I'm looking for something prebuilt.post #9 of 158/13/12 at 6:24amThread Starterpost #10 of 158/13/12 at 6:24ampost #11 of 158/13/12 at 6:29amThread Starter
Why would I do something logical like that when I'm doing 5 things at once and working under a deadline at work (while searching for an amp)...after I finish my current project for work, I'll read through the thread. Thanks for looking it up.post #12 of 158/13/12 at 11:08pmThread Starter
Here's what I'm thinking (mostly decided). The value of the Crack is that you get an awesome amp for very little money due to being a kit, and it can be upgraded. If I have it built for me, I've negated both those pros. I looked briefly at amps in the $500 range, but that would kill my budget for the DT990s.
If I get a DarkVoice 336SE, I'm still within budget and it should sound better than the SS I've been using. In the meantime, I get one of those toy soldering kits and workout whether I can solder with either double vision or no depth perception (or I can practice on some old mobos I've got laying around). This gives me an amp I can use right away, money I can spend on DT990s and time to practice/learn soldering. If the surgery worked and my double vision gets better, I can build a Bottlehead in a year and sell the 336SE.
If anyone has a better idea, I'm all ears, but I think this is my best bet at this point. Are there any other $300 amps I should check out, or is the DarkVoice my best bet? Thanks.post #13 of 158/13/12 at 11:29pm
Once again, I have to emphasise that I'm going by what I've read here, and that it's ultimately your money...
There's folks in there saying the Crack outperforms the DV336, and the WA3. That the Crack works well even with the T1 and HD800. And that the next step up in an amp would cost '000s of dollars.
I remember auditioning some DV amps a very, very long time ago on my 880's (cannot recall the models now); I was unimpressed across the board. My impression of DarkVoice amps is that opinion on them is divided between the fans and the "meh". However, what I keep reading about the Crack and Woo Audio products in general are more positive--but I really have not read a single bad review of the Crack.post #14 of 158/13/12 at 11:34pmThread Starter
I'll have to think about it then. Maybe I'll get my toy soldering kit first and see what I can do with it. I really hate to have someone else build it and not be able to do the speedball upgrade if I wanted. Thanks for your help.post #15 of 158/13/12 at 11:43pmThread Starter
Just checked Amazon. For about $10 I can get a "toy" soldering iron (probably as good as Radio Shack's?) and then each project is $10. So I can get a couple of those, too. So for about $30, I get a good idea of whether or not this is something I can do. If so I'll go a head and get the real soldering tools and the Crack...if not, I guess I choose the factory option, but stick to the Crack as my main amp. Now I need some sleep.
Edited by BackwardPawn - 8/13/12 at 11:44pm
- Buying an amp for DT880s
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › DUNU 4 Driver, 5 Driver new Hybrid earphone presentation on 2015... 5 seconds ago
- › Shozy Zero: $50 IEMs with real rosewood, taking on the $500 big boys! 13 seconds ago
- › MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd... 1 minute ago
- › poor audio problem with beats studio wireless 1 minute ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Wave 2 minutes ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 2 minutes ago
- › Kumitate (くみたて) Lab: A Triumph and Celebration of DIY - Impressions... 2 minutes ago
- › What Headphone and Amp are you listening to right now? 3 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG +... 3 minutes ago
- › PS1000 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Philips SHP9500 by Mosauwer
- › MEE Audio RX18 Comfort-Fit In-Ear Headphones with Enhanced Bass... by peter123
- › Schiit Magni 2 by Aornic
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Dobrescu George
- › Yamaha EPH-M100 High-Performance Earphones by Nymphonomaniac
- › PMV A-01 HYBIRD IEM by peter123
- › Cayin N5 DSD Lossless Music Player by H20Fidelity
- › Campfire Audio Orion by piksnz
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by Asr
- › 1MORE EO323 Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone... by leesure
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse