I think I've narrowed it to Bottlehead Crack or DarkVoice 336SE. Any preferences between these, or something in the price range that I'm missing? Also, how hard are the Bottleheads to build. I'd like to to do it myself so I can do more kits in the future, but have no soldering experience. Is the factory option worth $150 or should it be something I can do myself? Thanks.
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 - 32 Ohmtagged by System, 3/1/13
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 8/13/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT880Stagged by System, 3/1/13
- productBottlehead Crack OTLtagged by System, 8/13/12
- productDarkvoice 336SEtagged by System, 8/13/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 8/13/12
- productWoo Audio WA3tagged by System, 8/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- Which amp for HD650 and DT880 600ohm! Last post on 7/18/12 at 4:49pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Recommended amps for HD650 and DT880/600? Last post on 11/15/12 at 6:31pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Final setup help. Specifically in choosing a DAC and possibly a sound card to pair with my... Last post on 11/9/12 at 11:00am in Dedicated Source Components
- Dac/Amp Pairing for Q701's and DT770-250 DT880/DT990-600hm Last post on 10/27/12 at 11:50am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- DT880 - Best Soundcard + Amp combo? Last post on 11/10/12 at 3:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
Woo Audio: FAQ and Product Troubleshoot
Last edited: 6/17/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Can’t believe nobody has commented on the lack of an extremely basic feature that exists on 99% of MP3 players but missing from this and many other Fiio units — which is the ability to bookmark....
Advanced AcousticWerkes Q: Deceptively Small The AAW Q is an upcoming IEM from Singaporean company Advanced AcousticWerkes, scheduled for release in the first week of September. It boasts a new...
Now that I've heard all the ADEL modules from Asius technologies(what has been released since 8/16), it's even harder to pick a favorite. Some days I want to tune the sound to my unique anatomy,...
I dont want to waste my time writing an essay for something that lasted only 1 or 2 months. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBnJ9zrnhGU My Rant and broken Shures in link above The bass...
Buying an amp for DT880spost #1 of 158/8/12 at 8:21pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 158/9/12 at 5:42pmThread Starterpost #3 of 158/9/12 at 10:11pm
I'd try the Bottlehead if I were in your shoes. Had my 880 for 3 years on various SS before trying a DIY tube (Aikido, built by a friend) and that's definitely the best I've heard it.
The Crack keeps getting recommended by "old time" forummers for years, so it looks like the most sensible choice.post #4 of 158/10/12 at 8:35pmThread Starter
That confirms it, Crack it is. Now I just need to decide if I can build it myself or choose the factory option.
I'd really like to do it myself since I have plans to build the S.E.X. amp later maybe build a small bookshelf kit for my room so I don't have to sleep with headphones.
I have no doubt I could solder if I was healthy, but I have a muscle condition that causes double vision up close--it can be easily taken care of with an eye patch, but that means no depth perception.
I just had surgery that may correct it--I'll know in about six months, but don't plan to wait that long to buy. Really frustrating...especially since this is level one and I think the other kit is a higher level. Oh well, I'll make a decision sometime next week and put my order in.post #5 of 158/13/12 at 5:49amThread Starter
Unfortunately, I'm leaning toward the factory option due to the whole double vision problem. Haven't decided yet, but that would put me in a new price bracket. What's the best tube amp I can get for DT880, plus a planned purchased of DT990 sometime in the future. Lets say my budget is ~$500. Am I still looking at the crack or are there other choices now?post #6 of 158/13/12 at 6:12amThread Starterpost #7 of 158/13/12 at 6:20ampost #8 of 158/13/12 at 6:23amThread Starter
Would like to, but that would be the $500 budget + cost of having it built. What I'm afraid of is that the double vision, plus the fact I'm recovering from surgery, will make soldering difficult. If you could put my mind at ease and tell me I'll be able to build it just fine, that's the option I'll go with. Otherwise, I'm looking for something prebuilt.post #9 of 158/13/12 at 6:24amThread Starterpost #10 of 158/13/12 at 6:24ampost #11 of 158/13/12 at 6:29amThread Starter
Why would I do something logical like that when I'm doing 5 things at once and working under a deadline at work (while searching for an amp)...after I finish my current project for work, I'll read through the thread. Thanks for looking it up.post #12 of 158/13/12 at 11:08pmThread Starter
Here's what I'm thinking (mostly decided). The value of the Crack is that you get an awesome amp for very little money due to being a kit, and it can be upgraded. If I have it built for me, I've negated both those pros. I looked briefly at amps in the $500 range, but that would kill my budget for the DT990s.
If I get a DarkVoice 336SE, I'm still within budget and it should sound better than the SS I've been using. In the meantime, I get one of those toy soldering kits and workout whether I can solder with either double vision or no depth perception (or I can practice on some old mobos I've got laying around). This gives me an amp I can use right away, money I can spend on DT990s and time to practice/learn soldering. If the surgery worked and my double vision gets better, I can build a Bottlehead in a year and sell the 336SE.
If anyone has a better idea, I'm all ears, but I think this is my best bet at this point. Are there any other $300 amps I should check out, or is the DarkVoice my best bet? Thanks.post #13 of 158/13/12 at 11:29pm
Once again, I have to emphasise that I'm going by what I've read here, and that it's ultimately your money...
There's folks in there saying the Crack outperforms the DV336, and the WA3. That the Crack works well even with the T1 and HD800. And that the next step up in an amp would cost '000s of dollars.
I remember auditioning some DV amps a very, very long time ago on my 880's (cannot recall the models now); I was unimpressed across the board. My impression of DarkVoice amps is that opinion on them is divided between the fans and the "meh". However, what I keep reading about the Crack and Woo Audio products in general are more positive--but I really have not read a single bad review of the Crack.post #14 of 158/13/12 at 11:34pmThread Starter
I'll have to think about it then. Maybe I'll get my toy soldering kit first and see what I can do with it. I really hate to have someone else build it and not be able to do the speedball upgrade if I wanted. Thanks for your help.post #15 of 158/13/12 at 11:43pmThread Starter
Just checked Amazon. For about $10 I can get a "toy" soldering iron (probably as good as Radio Shack's?) and then each project is $10. So I can get a couple of those, too. So for about $30, I get a good idea of whether or not this is something I can do. If so I'll go a head and get the real soldering tools and the Crack...if not, I guess I choose the factory option, but stick to the Crack as my main amp. Now I need some sleep.
Edited by BackwardPawn - 8/13/12 at 11:44pm
- Buying an amp for DT880s
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Earbuds Round-Up 52 seconds ago
- › Little Dot MK8SE / MK6 Super Mods (All verified mods are on first... 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 5 minutes ago
- › The decline of cheap concert tickets 5 minutes ago
- › Review: Meze Headphones 99 Classics 6 minutes ago
- › Looking to Upgrade from DT 770 250ohms 9 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 10 minutes ago
- › Introducing the Dacamp L1, flagship CL1 Ceramic and CL750 from RHA 10 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 11 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 13 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by greencalx
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes Q by ustinj
- › Asius Technologies ADEL™ G1 Auto Modules by Ike1985
- › AAW Nebula Two Hybrid In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › Shure SE215 by Nick Walters
- › E-mu Teak Headphones by AT Khan
- › Marshall Mode In-Ear Headphones, Black/White (4090939) by PopZeus
- › Pro-Ject Debut Carbon by davehg
- › Brainwavz Jive by Lurk650
- › Campfire Audio Andromeda by k4rstar
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...