Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hello, I can't find any cans anywhere with all of the following characteristics:
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hello, I can't find any cans anywhere with all of the following characteristics:

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 

Hi everyone, 

I'm heading off to college soon (Freshman), and I've now had my SR80i's for half a year now (I'd give these things a 10/10 for sound quality). However, I'd also like a pair to use while working out, moving out and about, and also able to play at high volumes without noise leakage (Over ear, obviously). So, help finding a pair with these characteristics would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks! 

Note I won't be getting them any time soon, but probably gonna ask for a holiday gift for these cans.

- Price range: Up to $250
- Over ear
- Cord length UNDER 5 feet (I have my Grado cable coiled with a rubber band)
- Also really good for portable use
- Crisp sound quality (doesn't have to be quite as good as my SR80i's)
- Low level of noise leakage
- Strong bass, comparable to Beats-level bass (I listen to mainly Metal, a fair amount of Electronic / Dubstep, and Classic Rock)
- Durable
- Compact, not oversized, and not too small


... also note that although noise cancellation is nice to have, it's no that important to me. 

Thanks very much for the help!


Edited by MEETmyARSENAL - 8/7/12 at 12:49pm
post #2 of 32
What about the beyerdynamic DT770 models?
post #3 of 32

How about M50 or Shure840? 

post #4 of 32

What about the Sony zx700?

post #5 of 32

If you ask me, "over ear" and "Good for portable use" are a confliction, you can't have both imo. If you want proper portability they've got to be on ear, circumaural headphones are generally too large for on the go use from my experience. About the only way over-ear headphones can make themselves more portable is to be foldable, but that doesn't stop them being big when they're on your head or around your neck. 

 

So if I you want properly portable headphones I'd consider the v-moda m80.

If you want full sized headphones, the Shure SRH840 could be a good choice.

 

Another thing to note, the ideal sound requirements (at least for me) between Electronic music and Metal / Rock are very different, so you'd want headphones which are somewhat all-rounders.

post #6 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeretixAevum View Post

If you ask me, "over ear" and "Good for portable use" are a confliction, you can't have both imo. If you want proper portability they've got to be on ear, circumaural headphones are generally too large for on the go use from my experience. About the only way over-ear headphones can make themselves more portable is to be foldable, but that doesn't stop them being big when they're on your head or around your neck. 

 

So if I you want properly portable headphones I'd consider the v-moda m80.

If you want full sized headphones, the Shure SRH840 could be a good choice.

 

Another thing to note, the ideal sound requirements (at least for me) between Electronic music and Metal / Rock are very different, so you'd want headphones which are somewhat all-rounders.

Agreed. I'd never take a circumaural (around the ear) headphones in public. Poor noise isolation usually and they're too big. 

post #7 of 32

Why not go for IEMs? They would be able to do everything on your list on-par with or better than full-sized closed cans and they'd beat closed cans at a number of areas, especially portability and isolation.

post #8 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeretixAevum View Post

If you ask me, "over ear" and "Good for portable use" are a confliction, you can't have both imo. If you want proper portability they've got to be on ear, circumaural headphones are generally too large for on the go use from my experience. About the only way over-ear headphones can make themselves more portable is to be foldable, but that doesn't stop them being big when they're on your head or around your neck. 

 

 

Chances are neither will be good for his needs anyway. Unless they're on his head really, really tight, both of these will bounce around during a work-out, unless he's just doing weights, at which point circumaurals might not be the most comfortable when he's lying down on the bench. Plus consider how much the pads are, and then you'd wear them that tight and saturate them with sweat? Under normal use in a cool room, average of about 1-2 hours a day, the HD600 pads already feel too squished in less than two years. The old pads are usable, but the gap in SQ is very noticeable. For casual listening though I make do with the older pads so as not to wear out the newer ones.

 

@MEETmyARSENAL,

 

In any case, if it's for gym use, why not look into IEMs? Even if you don't like their ergos/comfort after a while, would you be in the gym long enough to get to that? I'm fine with a MEE M6P with the plastic ear tips for jogging - ergos are great since they have the Shure/Westone shell shape, so they stay in place; I run the cable between my windbreaker/sweater and shirt clipped to the former to keep impact noise through the cable down; plus it has a mic so anyone can reach me while I'm on my route (I use my SGS as a music player). I just wipe the cables - particularly around the ear hooks - and keep a silica gel pack from a pair of new shoes in the carrying case.

post #9 of 32

Always interested to read people opinions about full-sized cans and whether they are portable or not. For me personally sound isolation is the most important thing dictating portability, not size, I have no issues with using circumaural headphones out and about (I don't really like IEMs, and have little love for supra-aurals too). Really up to the individual to decide if they are happy with the portability of them or not. Obviously in absolute terms of course they are less portable, and I think it is sound advice suggesting other headphone types (particularly the IEMs given his use-case scenario involving exercise), that said, people just seem to come on a little strong about it, particularly in cases like this where the OP has suggested a preference for them.

post #10 of 32

Wait for the VModa M100

post #11 of 32
Thread Starter 

Well, the V-MODA M-80 looks damn impressive. Smaller size, yet over ear, a few questions now:

1. Are they noise-cancelling headphones?
2. Sound quality (compared to SR80i, etc)

I also forgot to add to OP that I primarily want this pair of headphones to be used for situations when my Grados would fail (ex. portable, public usage). 

post #12 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEETmyARSENAL View Post

Well, the V-MODA M-80 looks damn impressive. Smaller size, yet over ear, a few questions now:

1. Are they noise-cancelling headphones?
2. Sound quality (compared to SR80i, etc)

I also forgot to add to OP that I primarily want this pair of headphones to be used for situations when my Grados would fail (ex. portable, public usage). 

The M80 is much bassier, much better-built, and miles more portable. However, it doesn't have quite the clarity or definition (not to mention soundstage) that you get used to when pampered by a legendary-value Grado.

post #13 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post

The M80 is much bassier, much better-built, and miles more portable. However, it doesn't have quite the clarity or definition (not to mention soundstage) that you get used to when pampered by a legendary-value Grado.

Thanks for the help, and yet a few more things:

1. How much noise leaks from these headphones (enough to enjoy loud music to myself)? 
2. Are they noise-cancelling?
3. Sweat (ex. while working out) --- would it damage the headphones at all, or would they be fine? 
4. Good for metal - yes or no?

Thanks very much.

post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEETmyARSENAL View Post

Thanks for the help, and yet a few more things:

1. How much noise leaks from these headphones (enough to enjoy loud music to myself)? 
2. Are they noise-cancelling?
3. Sweat (ex. while working out) --- would it damage the headphones at all, or would they be fine? 
4. Good for metal - yes or no?

Thanks very much.


Leakage isn't bad at all with the M-80, but a competing on-ear like the HD25-1 II does that better. They're not actively noise-cancelling, but that feature generally degrades sound quality. You won't get many people on Head-Fi recommending noise-cancelling headphones unless it's an utter requirement. Though I don't excercise with full-size headphones, I've never had a problem on hot days with sweat with any of my cans.

 

And yes, the M-80 is fine with Metal. It may be a bit over-bassy at times, however, especailly compared to the rockmaster Grados.

post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEETmyARSENAL View Post

Well, the V-MODA M-80 looks damn impressive. Smaller size, yet over ear, a few questions now:

1. Are they noise-cancelling headphones?
2. Sound quality (compared to SR80i, etc)

I also forgot to add to OP that I primarily want this pair of headphones to be used for situations when my Grados would fail (ex. portable, public usage). 

Apparently the M80 doesn't noise isolate THAT well but it is simply "okay". Soundstage is decent for a portable phone. A good alternative that offers more noise isolation are the HD-25ii and DT1350, though they are more expensive. 

 

I never liked the sound of Grado headphones myself. Sound "static" like while having very little bass. People say they're good for rock music but I do not think for ALL kinds of rock music. And also consider the comfort factor. Many people complain about how uncomfortable the Grados are. You could have that problem as well. The Grados are also a bit too big for portable use imo. Best for home listening. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hello, I can't find any cans anywhere with all of the following characteristics: