Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Picking Some 'Phones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Picking Some 'Phones

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Hey guys, looking at getting a pair of headphones for <$200. I'm looking to use them for a mix of music and gaming, with music being slightly more prioritised. I listen to a range of music, mainly whatever is in the top 10 plus a lot of rock, metal and dub-step. It's also important that there is some nice bass ;). With gaming I'd like to be able to use them to pinpoint footsteps and gunshot directions.

 

I will be listening to music and gaming on a late 2011 Macbook Pro and have a few question regarding this. Will the quality of the headphones be greatly hindered by the sound card or lack there of in this machine? for the surround sound I need for gaming will I need an external device (mixamp?)? or will it all be available through the Macbook/headphones?

 

I'm looking at getting the dt-770's as they seem to tick the above boxes but I am looking for any suggestions or approvals :).

Any help is much appreciated. If I have broken a rule or posted this in the wrong place please let me know.

 

Thanks.

post #2 of 14

Anything from Senn or AT's a safe bet. Also, Grado SR60s are like $70.

post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPuser9083 View Post

Anything from Senn or AT's a safe bet. Also, Grado SR60s are like $70.

Someone has suggested the Recon3D USB as a suitable gaming amp as I can use it on my Mac, PC and Xbox. Do you happen to know if it's any good for music? Just quickly checked out the Grado's, do you think they're better than the DT-770's?

post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekkk View Post

Someone has suggested the Recon3D USB as a suitable gaming amp as I can use it on my Mac, PC and Xbox. Do you happen to know if it's any good for music? Just quickly checked out the Grado's, do you think they're better than the DT-770's?

 

Grados are notorious for their near-nonexistent bass and piercing highs. Positioning and soundstage aren't exactly their forte either.

 

If you want surround sound for your headphones, you don't need something that supports 5.1 or 7.1 channels. Get an amp that supports Dolby Headphone technology. It's purported to take 5.1 or 7.1 channel inputs and convert the signal to one appropriate for normal stereo headphones.

 

http://www.astrogaming.com/mixamps/mixamp-usb

 

Sorry if this sounds like an endorsement.


Edited by mbamg - 8/7/12 at 7:16pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbamg View Post

 

Grados are notorious for their near-nonexistent bass and piercing highs. Positioning and soundstage aren't exactly their forte either.

 

Are you talking about sub-bass or bass? I think we confuse the two sometimes. The bass drops off around 60hz, or near sub-bass. 

 

btw I wouldn't use Grado's for gaming because the soundstage isn't great and I personally think you need sub-bass for gaming.

post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by staticfi View Post

 

Are you talking about sub-bass or bass? I think we confuse the two sometimes. The bass drops off around 60hz, or near sub-bass. 

 

btw I wouldn't use Grado's for gaming because the soundstage isn't great and I personally think you need sub-bass for gaming.

 

I'm talking about both. TBH I've seldom experienced sub-bass from all the headphones/IEMs that I've managed to listen to so far, and AFAIK most of the songs that I listen to shouldn't have much sub-bass anyways.

 

As I recall, using my friend's SR80s wasn't a particularly enjoyable experience.

post #7 of 14

Well, the direction we're going in has been pretty useless. Grados meet exactly none of what the OP wants, No Sennhesier would be bassy enough for the OP's tasts, and no specific model of Audio-Technica was mentioned, meaning that the OP could end up with the bass-light AD700, which while great for FPS gaming would be an utter disappointment for the OP.

 

I think that your best bet in your price range for a combination of physical space for gaming and bassiness for music is the not-often-mentioned Fischer Audio FA-011 (if you don't mind an open headphone, that is). It's got plenty of low-reaching bass, and is one of the few mid-fi open headphones out there that can truly claim to be bassy while not sacrificing space in the sound.

post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post

Well, the direction we're going in has been pretty useless. Grados meet exactly none of what the OP wants, No Sennhesier would be bassy enough for the OP's tasts, and no specific model of Audio-Technica was mentioned, meaning that the OP could end up with the bass-light AD700, which while great for FPS gaming would be an utter disappointment for the OP.

I think that your best bet in your price range for a combination of physical space for gaming and bassiness for music is the not-often-mentioned Fischer Audio FA-011 (if you don't mind an open headphone, that is). It's got plenty of low-reaching bass, and is one of the few mid-fi open headphones out there that can truly claim to be bassy while not sacrificing space in the sound.

Thanks for the help, I'll definitely check out the FA-011's, do you think they will be better than the dt-770's? I'm also looking for an amp now; I'm thinking the Recon3D for use with my Mac and Xbox but I'm not sure how useful it is with music, any experience with this or can you recommend something?
post #9 of 14

Brainwavz HM5 - great overalls

 

Ultrasones HFI 580/780/ Pro 750

 

VMODA M80

 

and of course +1 for DT770


Edited by valerianaoff - 8/8/12 at 5:56am
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by valerianaoff View Post

Brainwavz HM5 - great overalls

 

Ultrasones HFI 580/780/ Pro 750

 

VMODA M80

 

and of course +1 for DT770

Wouldn't happen to know where to get dt770's in Aus that aren't ridiculously priced?

post #11 of 14

:-(

post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 

Damn lol

post #13 of 14

I'm from aus and I've ordered the dt 880s from amazon, free shipping.

post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDriveFerraris View Post

I'm from aus and I've ordered the dt 880s from amazon, free shipping.

Which seller, Music123? and how long did it take? Mates have said it takes around a month o_O.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Picking Some 'Phones