To say the iP4 is anything less than a great source is ludicrous. There are dedicated dac/amp combos that don't sound as good.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- $500 iem vs $500 headphones? Last post on 11/22/13 at 3:49pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Upgrade recommendations from Westone 4? Last post on 6/13/13 at 3:05am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Heir Audio 3.AI vs. Heir Audio 4.AI vs Sony EX1000! Last post on 11/11/12 at 10:19am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for earphones with little to no bass, clear sound Last post on 8/26/13 at 2:39am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Heir audia 3.ai and 4.ai Last post on 10/4/12 at 2:54pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Yesterday
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 12/10/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (In-Ear)Last edited: 12/10/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Well, i won't make a long review. Having the iPod Nano V6, SansaClip+, SansaClip Fuse, iAudio 6 and a mix of older Sony's, iPod's etc ... I think the best sounding player to me was the iAudio 6....
Do not buy an Astell & Kern 120. It claims 192Gb memory, but it indexes and uses only the internal memory - 64gb. The external SD cards carry files but do not show up on the device. Money spent...
Astell & Kern AKR01 Jimmy Moon at Astell & Kern was kind enough to lend me a pair of AKR01's for review. Big thanks to him. Anyways, review ahead! What are they: I notice that I haven't...
Heir audio was once thought to be the next king of IEMs. Rave reviews was floating everywhere online. The air around these IEMs were so enticing that one who has never heard them would be drawn to...
I have to say, as introduction: I'm not an audiophile, just an "enhanced" user with more than 20 years of analogic and digital listen. I use mainly portable devices, some Fii amplifier, and I...
Heir Audio 4.Ai - Appreciation/Impression/Review Thread - Page 50post #736 of 252210/6/12 at 10:44am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #737 of 252210/6/12 at 10:45amQuote:
Might be of interest :)post #738 of 252210/6/12 at 10:54amQuote:
No but you did and he certainly implied something 'better' would be preferred. Cowon? They're fine too but their biggest claim to fame is sound effects. You took this off track with your 'silly source' comment. Next time, don't and this wont happen.
Edited by goodvibes - 10/6/12 at 11:00ampost #739 of 252210/6/12 at 10:57amThread StarterQuote:
I know i did because i have heard a lot smaller that are a lot better. When i have to use it as a source i would be lying to say i am happy to do so.How did i take this off track? I have mentioned the 4.Ai in every comment i have mentioned sources saying that the 4.Ai still sounds good with the IP4 but does not reach its full potential. I did not start this source convo but i do want to finish it.post #740 of 252210/6/12 at 11:02am
Instead of this getting back on track? Got it. It's all fine as long as only you can comment on source. It should have never become controversial. INKS found the 4ai to be VG. I see you had no issue with his source over that. Sorry but how is being a zealot and dismissive of things you don't agree with good for someone determined to do objective reviews? I can listen to a Nagra LB or VI if I care to and trust me, your stuff pales in comparison so why comment of 'full' potential? It also doesn't make an ip4 any worse and plenty good enough to determine if something deserves further consideration. For Inks, the 4ai did and the 3ai did not. For others it will be different and as Full Circle said, on target. I suspect he was just trying to pacify your comment with his own and doesn't object to using iphones at all. It shouldn't have come up it in your context of just not good enough, period. It's all relative and on any scale, the ip4 is relatively good.
Edited by goodvibes - 10/6/12 at 12:12pmpost #741 of 252210/6/12 at 11:57amQuote:Originally Posted by Swimsonny
I know i did because i have heard a lot smaller that are a lot better. When i have to use it as a source i would be lying to say i am happy to do so.How did i take this off track? I have mentioned the 4.Ai in every comment i have mentioned sources saying that the 4.Ai still sounds good with the IP4 but does not reach its full potential. I did not start this source convo but i do want to finish it.
But isn't the Tera Player the ultimate high end source? That would end this conversation.post #742 of 252210/6/12 at 12:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by Inks
OK Guy correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you use a Sony DAP as a source?
The 3ai is better than sub flagships like the W3 and and SM2, but I wish it had the finesse of the TF10. I went into it expecting the v-shape but expected/hoped for more refinement than I heard. These are just first impression so well see what's the conclusion for me given time.
yes I use a Sony Z1070 which buries the iPhone4 (which I am very familiar with) music wise.... I've owned iPod and other Sony DAP's only two have lasted in my ownership for longer than six weeks (WM-S & WM-Z), unlike some I only use my DAP for portable use, at home the Z1070 is pretty much redundant as I prefer to listen to music through my home-system... I had great advice from a fellow Head-Fi'er called Turok when I was looking for a suitable DAP, the DX100 was my choice but he advised against me purchasing one because of my limited PC experience (he advised well did Turok), he also owns the Cowon-J3, iPods, Sansa Clip, HiFi-Man 601 and others... next to his recently sold DX100 the Sony Z-Series was his go to player, unlike other Sony models it is very neutral and has a massive soundstage which suits my listening needs... I still don't know how the 3.Ai & 4.Ai sound with the WM-Z as its proving difficult to get it back from my Sister (iPhone4 owner/lover, apart from music it seems), I'm hoping to be enthused by Heir's IEM's on Thursday.
the second part of your post is what you should of put in your original post instead of dismissing the 3.Ai out of hand (it appeared that way to me)... people can evaluate better that way.
Edited by OK-Guy - 10/6/12 at 12:35pmpost #743 of 252210/6/12 at 12:35pm
Swim if you say these Heirs sound better than the nano than the IP4, i start thinking these like more resistance as every nano adds more impedance than the IP4, they're less clean. Understand that some IEM's impedance phase nature will make them sound better with sources that add more resistance.
The IP4 and 4S for that matter are true quality, they're clean and linear, they dont' add much that's the thing. If these do like resistance I'll just DIY some resistor plug at an ideal level. Either way, I'll get Rin to test this.
IP4 has proven to be of quality, sure there are better stuff out there but as a stand alone source that isn't some ridiculously bulky, dedicated player, it's as good as it can get. If the Heirs can't cope with clean sources, that's a flaw as well that may require to add a resistor.
People take issue with things when they're not positive I guess.
I like the 4ai, but the more I listen to them, the more they remind me of the W4 and are actually as Anaxilus described them here a bit back. They're probably a bit better though as the midhighs aren't as conservative, though still hold back here. Still, can't compare the two directly so that isn't definite yet, things will get more interesting once an incoming Final Audio SS comes in.
Edited by Inks - 10/6/12 at 12:38pmpost #744 of 252210/6/12 at 12:46pmThread StarterI will reply properly later but I said nano with an amp using a LOD. Oh and terra player with it is by far the best!post #745 of 252210/6/12 at 5:47pmQuote:Originally Posted by davidcotton
Might be of interest :)
Thanks for that, I sub'dpost #746 of 252210/6/12 at 8:28pmQuote:Originally Posted by davidcotton
Might be of interest :)
Interesting. Looks like this could rival my Sansa Clip Zip.post #747 of 252210/6/12 at 9:39pm
Fiio has something in the works - the X3. With any luck, it'll be released in December. Doesn't appear to be an attempt at a top-of-the-line player, but it will be a music-dedicated DAP. I'm thinking it's going to have a couple of useful features and be a good value for the money, typical of Fiio.
No idea what Cowon is up to - I have a J3, but subsequent models haven't impressed me at all. The Z2 was a lateral move at best - they brought nothing new to the table, so it was disappointing to many. I wish they would release a music-centric dap and just forget about trying to be all things to all people on one of their products (J3 successor?) for us.
After I review a couple of cables, I'm going to sell my customs and use the funds for the 4Ai. My customs don't ever hurt, but they never "disappear" into my ears as some report. I can't enjoy music as much with that congested feeling in my ears - I actually prefer my GR07s because of this.
Speaking of GR07s, could anybody compare them to the 4Ai? I'm thinking the only shortcoming of the Heir would be the bass impact - the VSonics are stellar in this regard, likely due to the use of a dynamic driver. They also have been found through measurements to have an extremely low amount of distortion, some say because of the bio-cellulose driver technology they borrow from Sony. Anyways, a comparison of these two would be of great benefit to me if anybody is able to do so.
post #748 of 252210/7/12 at 10:43ampost #749 of 252210/7/12 at 10:47ampost #750 of 252210/7/12 at 11:11am
Yuppp!!! See how it turns out. Wizard said that the range of colors for buck eye burl can range wuite a bit so ill take the gamble and see how it turns out! Sound comes first at the end of the day so we'll judge things off of thatReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Heir Audio 4.Ai - Appreciation/Impression/Review Thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones 24 seconds ago
- › Beyerdynamic T90 :D 32 seconds ago
- › Altmann Tera Player — Impressions, Reviews & Discussion 1 minute ago
- › [Impression] FiiO E10 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › The Wire Headphone Amplifier 2 minutes ago
- › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › So many to choose from. 150$ to 200$ basshead. 2 minutes ago
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by Xstream
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by Beethoven Lover
- › Astell&Kern AKR01 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by wolfetan44
- › Heir Audio 5.0 by surge
- › Philips Fidelio S1 by pignolo
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by alflying
- › Dunu DN-1000 by Brooko
- › Heir Audio 3.Ai by hapopo
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by JoeDoe
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by HPuser9083
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe