I came so close to springing for the 4.ai's yesterday, but after speaking with Heir, I realized they have no return policy. I can understand not having one for customs... but universals?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- $500 iem vs $500 headphones? Last post on 11/22/13 at 3:49pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Upgrade recommendations from Westone 4? Last post on 6/13/13 at 3:05am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Heir Audio 3.AI vs. Heir Audio 4.AI vs Sony EX1000! Last post on 11/11/12 at 10:19am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for earphones with little to no bass, clear sound Last post on 8/26/13 at 2:39am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Heir audia 3.ai and 4.ai Last post on 10/4/12 at 2:54pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/7/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/4/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (In-Ear)Last edited: 12/10/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
I could not recommend these headphones more, they sound better than anything else i have had the opportunity to listen to for more than five minutes. They take the best parts of the headphones i...
UnboxingUpon unboxing, I knew what the Sony MDR-1R MK2's were intended for; luxury. It came with a box very similar to the Sennheiser HD800's packaging, very pleasing to open and everything felt of...
I have passed on buying these because i generally do not play follow the leader well,so I was bidding on a set of Sennheiser HD 598s and was outbid at the last minute but wanted something new so...
Heir Audio 4.Ai - Appreciation/Impression/Review Thread - Page 20post #286 of 25288/30/12 at 9:09am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #287 of 25288/30/12 at 9:15ampost #288 of 25288/30/12 at 9:20am
According to impressions, the 4ai should be a pretty neutral sounding iem that doesn't sound too bored at the same time.
The last time i heard the W4r, they are pretty engaging iems to me. Alternatively u could consider the 3ai, i'm holding up at the moment for a 4ai despite the rave impressions because it's quite a neutral iem and im avoiding it until i've heard it for myself. But right now, i guess u could only make a leap of faith.post #289 of 25288/30/12 at 9:31amThread StarterQuote:
ahah that was my other annoyance, the complete lack of soundstage depth left no 3D soundstage which was my other big niggle. The 4.Ai is completely 3D with the best imaging i have ever heard, listening to live recordings is so unreal.post #290 of 25288/30/12 at 9:51am
^ that's odd, this review seems to say they are NOT 3D sounding.Quote:Like I've said earlier, I did say that the 8.As feel like a 'surround system' in your head whereas the 4.Ai sounded less 3-Dimensonal adopting the more 'forward' approach.post #291 of 25288/30/12 at 10:07amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by robm321
^ that's odd, this review seems to say they are NOT 3D sounding.
No, it says it is less 3d than the 8.A. It does not say it is not 3D. He is talking more about overall size. The overall size is not huge but it has a good strong doth and the width and height are not really much above average, that is overall 3D. The GR07 did not have the depth to make 3D. Then you throw in the amazing imagery of the 4.Ai and you get one awesome soundstage.post #292 of 25288/30/12 at 10:22amQuote:
He actually calls it 1D which, to me, is not 3DQuote:Despite the rather one dimensional presentation, there is enough width and depth going on to make the presentation sound more 'full'.
It just sounds like you guys have different impressions. I'm not questioning your experience, just pointing out that it makes it tough to buy without a return policy and no other way to try it out.post #293 of 25288/30/12 at 10:31amThread Starter
Fair enough, i never have quoted the width is anything amazing but it clearly gets out of your head but still not going to compare to the likes of the Sony MDR-EX100-, Sennheiser IE8 and Aurisonics ASG-1 for example but it is not bad either. As for depth they have nailed it, Eke showed me this video on youtube not long ago and this helps me determine depth a bit easier:
Try it out with some headphones.
If there is no depth you really now it as it all on a single plane but when there is depth you really notice the guy going back and forth and with the 4.Ai i thought someone had walked in the room behind me.
Obviously my Sennheiser HD580 do the video best in terms of depth but these are also great.
His opinion is his opinion though but then he also mentioned these being warm which only comes about with a slight mid-bass peak, these do not have one or sound warm so there you go.post #294 of 25288/30/12 at 10:53amQuote:
Why not just resell in the forums if you don't like it? The amount you would lose probably wouldn't be much different than if they had a return policy with a restocking fee.post #295 of 25288/30/12 at 11:18amQuote:
True. I suppose wishing there was a return policy with no restocking fee would be asking for too much.post #296 of 25288/30/12 at 11:40am
^ there is no option for restocking fee since there is not option to return at all.Quote:
That is a good point. As hyped as these are, you could almost resell them at list price. But I'd rather wait and see what you think of them first
I'm still interested. I'm just not ready to go for it quite yet. Anyone who appreciates the Ety ER4S that also has heard these?
Edited by robm321 - 8/30/12 at 11:43ampost #297 of 25288/30/12 at 3:23pmpost #298 of 25288/30/12 at 3:57pmThread StarterQuote:
I have only heard the HF5 so i would love to see what someone (you) has to say about the ER4S against these. Just because the ER4S is the reknowened for being the king of accuracy and detail, and well these are my king in these aspects.post #299 of 25288/30/12 at 6:50pmpost #300 of 25288/31/12 at 1:27amQuote:
I am lucky enough to live in San Diego where Heir has an office.
The sales rep from Heir is coming to my place and bringing all non-custom Heir products and accessories. He also brings pairs to sell if I want to buy them on the spot.
I have a pair of Ety ER4S's that I bought 15 years ago but still work well. I will also be auditioning the Heir's with my Smyth Realiser so that should really give me a good idea of their accuracy and imaging.
Although after getting my Stax 407/323 combination, the Ety's really don't sound very good at all in comparison. I will compare the sound of the 4i and 3i with my Stax.
I'll report back after this weekend after the Heir rep comes over.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
This thread is locked
- Heir Audio 4.Ai - Appreciation/Impression/Review Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Heir Audio 4.AiNo reviews yet.
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Denon AH-D7000 with Alpha Pads 19 seconds ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Impressions and feedback. 22 seconds ago
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06 53 seconds ago
- › AKG K701 headphones in good condition 1 minute ago
- › Grado RS1i Appreciation thread 1 minute ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › WORST headphone you ever heard? 2 minutes ago
- › Need suggestions on IEM's under $100. 3 minutes ago
- › Breaking-in headphones, the final verdict! 4 minutes ago
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by kuhchuk
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude