I came so close to springing for the 4.ai's yesterday, but after speaking with Heir, I realized they have no return policy. I can understand not having one for customs... but universals?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- $500 iem vs $500 headphones? Last post on 11/22/13 at 3:49pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Upgrade recommendations from Westone 4? Last post on 6/13/13 at 3:05am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Heir Audio 3.AI vs. Heir Audio 4.AI vs Sony EX1000! Last post on 11/11/12 at 10:19am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for earphones with little to no bass, clear sound Last post on 8/26/13 at 2:39am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Heir audia 3.ai and 4.ai Last post on 10/4/12 at 2:54pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/9/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: Yesterday
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (In-Ear)Last edited: Yesterday
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Introduction - The HD 518's are the starter model in the Sennheiser's audiophile range. They are really VFM and a good starter audiophile headphone for people who are looking into going the...
I got these on a pawn shop deal, and wanted some cheap headphones that could deliver for what I was looking for. An all-arounder that provided clarity, good bass, nice treble, and handled all...
Introduction: I still don't know why I keep buying headphones, really! I thought I was done but no, headphones like this one have to pop up on my radar and I'm weak enough that I have to buy...
Comparing these to my Philips L1 and my Beyer T1 they have a lot more mid-bass through midrange and are slightly tilted toward the high. They sound great but quite a bit different sound signature...
DISCLAIMER This review is based on the demo set at Jaben Singapore, which I have demoed extensively no less than 3 times. Though fit is pretty good, but as perfect fit is not achieved, I shall...
Heir Audio 4.Ai - Appreciation/Impression/Review Thread - Page 20post #286 of 25228/30/12 at 9:09am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #287 of 25228/30/12 at 9:15am
Pretty much the same as you. Except on top of that, I was also displeased by the soundstage, which felt small to me.post #288 of 25228/30/12 at 9:20am
According to impressions, the 4ai should be a pretty neutral sounding iem that doesn't sound too bored at the same time.
The last time i heard the W4r, they are pretty engaging iems to me. Alternatively u could consider the 3ai, i'm holding up at the moment for a 4ai despite the rave impressions because it's quite a neutral iem and im avoiding it until i've heard it for myself. But right now, i guess u could only make a leap of faith.post #289 of 25228/30/12 at 9:31amThread StarterQuote:
ahah that was my other annoyance, the complete lack of soundstage depth left no 3D soundstage which was my other big niggle. The 4.Ai is completely 3D with the best imaging i have ever heard, listening to live recordings is so unreal.post #290 of 25228/30/12 at 9:51ampost #291 of 25228/30/12 at 10:07amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by robm321
^ that's odd, this review seems to say they are NOT 3D sounding.
No, it says it is less 3d than the 8.A. It does not say it is not 3D. He is talking more about overall size. The overall size is not huge but it has a good strong doth and the width and height are not really much above average, that is overall 3D. The GR07 did not have the depth to make 3D. Then you throw in the amazing imagery of the 4.Ai and you get one awesome soundstage.post #292 of 25228/30/12 at 10:22amQuote:
He actually calls it 1D which, to me, is not 3DQuote:Despite the rather one dimensional presentation, there is enough width and depth going on to make the presentation sound more 'full'.
It just sounds like you guys have different impressions. I'm not questioning your experience, just pointing out that it makes it tough to buy without a return policy and no other way to try it out.post #293 of 25228/30/12 at 10:31amThread Starter
Fair enough, i never have quoted the width is anything amazing but it clearly gets out of your head but still not going to compare to the likes of the Sony MDR-EX100-, Sennheiser IE8 and Aurisonics ASG-1 for example but it is not bad either. As for depth they have nailed it, Eke showed me this video on youtube not long ago and this helps me determine depth a bit easier:
Try it out with some headphones.
If there is no depth you really now it as it all on a single plane but when there is depth you really notice the guy going back and forth and with the 4.Ai i thought someone had walked in the room behind me.
Obviously my Sennheiser HD580 do the video best in terms of depth but these are also great.
His opinion is his opinion though but then he also mentioned these being warm which only comes about with a slight mid-bass peak, these do not have one or sound warm so there you go.post #294 of 25228/30/12 at 10:53amQuote:
Why not just resell in the forums if you don't like it? The amount you would lose probably wouldn't be much different than if they had a return policy with a restocking fee.post #295 of 25228/30/12 at 11:18amQuote:
True. I suppose wishing there was a return policy with no restocking fee would be asking for too much.post #296 of 25228/30/12 at 11:40am
^ there is no option for restocking fee since there is not option to return at all.Quote:
That is a good point. As hyped as these are, you could almost resell them at list price. But I'd rather wait and see what you think of them first
I'm still interested. I'm just not ready to go for it quite yet. Anyone who appreciates the Ety ER4S that also has heard these?
Edited by robm321 - 8/30/12 at 11:43ampost #297 of 25228/30/12 at 3:23pmpost #298 of 25228/30/12 at 3:57pmThread StarterQuote:
I have only heard the HF5 so i would love to see what someone (you) has to say about the ER4S against these. Just because the ER4S is the reknowened for being the king of accuracy and detail, and well these are my king in these aspects.post #299 of 25228/30/12 at 6:50pmpost #300 of 25228/31/12 at 1:27amQuote:
I am lucky enough to live in San Diego where Heir has an office.
The sales rep from Heir is coming to my place and bringing all non-custom Heir products and accessories. He also brings pairs to sell if I want to buy them on the spot.
I have a pair of Ety ER4S's that I bought 15 years ago but still work well. I will also be auditioning the Heir's with my Smyth Realiser so that should really give me a good idea of their accuracy and imaging.
Although after getting my Stax 407/323 combination, the Ety's really don't sound very good at all in comparison. I will compare the sound of the 4i and 3i with my Stax.
I'll report back after this weekend after the Heir rep comes over.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Heir Audio 4.Ai - Appreciation/Impression/Review Thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 2 seconds ago
- › Amp/DAC setup question 10 seconds ago
- › The "non-Grado" Driver Grado Thread 1 minute ago
- › Need some recommendations for an upgrade from V-moda crossfades 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 2 minutes ago
- › Best music while stoned? 2 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 2 minutes ago
- › Ground loop isolator getting EM interference from amp 3 minutes ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 3 minutes ago
- › PHA-1 or C5D? 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by xoriac
- › Roland RH-200 Monitor Headphones by IEMagnet01
- › Perfect Sound d901b by gelocks
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by groovyd
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Joe-Siow
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by kingpage
- › Sony NWZ-A818 8GB by stuartfang
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by adevriesc
- › Samson SR950 by adevriesc
- › Yamaha HPH-200 Headphone (Black) by adevriesc
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe