Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- $500 iem vs $500 headphones? Last post on 11/22/13 at 3:49pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Upgrade recommendations from Westone 4? Last post on 6/13/13 at 3:05am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Heir Audio 3.AI vs. Heir Audio 4.AI vs Sony EX1000! Last post on 11/11/12 at 10:19am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for earphones with little to no bass, clear sound Last post on 8/26/13 at 2:39am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Heir audia 3.ai and 4.ai Last post on 10/4/12 at 2:54pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/7/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/4/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (In-Ear)Last edited: 12/10/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Note: All of my listening impressions of the Stax SR-202 were done with a Stax SRM-313 amplifier, which was hooked up to an AMB y2 DAC via the RCA input with SKW JIB braided interconnects. For the...
I will bypass the quality of their sound, as pretty much everyone has covered this topic above me... I have to say, I was not impressed with their cable quality, but apart from this, it seems to...
I am going to keep this short. SOURCE: Cowon C2 320 Kbps Mp3 and Flac files. GOOD: - Fits my ear properly. I am sure, whatever i do, they won't fall off. - Isolation, is...
Welcome to another review , today we have the J46BT IEM by JBL I will have a video review linked to this review soon but ...that's the future , this IEM was quite interesting since its...
Nothing is perfect & these earbuds are certainly a compromise. None the less, they are not too bright, not too boomy, not too recessed, & not too expensive. The sound is overall rich & smooth;...
Heir Audio 4.Ai - Appreciation/Impression/Review Thread - Page 83post #1231 of 252810/30/12 at 11:30am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1232 of 252810/30/12 at 11:33ampost #1233 of 252810/30/12 at 11:35ampost #1234 of 252810/30/12 at 11:58ampost #1235 of 252810/30/12 at 12:03pmQuote:
In my experience, it definitely affects the height of the soundstage, but not width, and only the depth by a little. Width is affected most greatly, in my experience, by the very high frequencies above 10 kHz, which is suspiciously missing from the graph. There's definitely something up there, because it doesn't lack that much treble. I'd definitely notice if it did. I mean that's a massive, almost 12 dB drop from 10k onwards; if you EQ down frequencies by even 6 dB from 10 kHz onwards, any earphone will shrink in soundstage like nothing else. I think everyone with a 4.A or 4.Ai can speak experience that it doesn't lack high frequency bandwidth.post #1236 of 252810/30/12 at 12:11pmpost #1237 of 252810/30/12 at 12:18pmQuote:
Depth is more complex and difficult to pick apart than just FR, IMO. That's why I didn't try to address it. Personally, I find the depth of soundstage in my 4.A pretty good, better than anything else I have, at least, and was only bested by the TO GO 334 that I heard. I had an issue with the soundstage height, and that was solved by EQing up from 2.7-4 kHz, 2.5-4 dB.post #1238 of 252810/30/12 at 12:42pmpost #1239 of 252810/30/12 at 12:53pmQuote:Originally Posted by tomscy2000
Depth is more complex and difficult to pick apart than just FR, IMO. That's why I didn't try to address it. Personally, I find the depth of soundstage in my 4.A pretty good, better than anything else I have, at least, and was only bested by the TO GO 334 that I heard. I had an issue with the soundstage height, and that was solved by EQing up from 2.7-4 kHz, 2.5-4 dB.
Interesting. Have you heard the PFE232?
I am still wondering if there was something wrong with my pair (product variance?) or my ears? The soundstage had great width and reasonable height but very little depth, a bit like facing or being surrounded by a wall of sound - a very nicely detailed and enjoyable wall but still...post #1240 of 252810/30/12 at 1:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by zenpunk
Interesting. Have you heard the PFE232?
I am still wondering if there was something wrong with my pair (product variance?) or my ears? The soundstage had great width and reasonable height but very little depth, a bit like facing or being surrounded by a wall of sound - a very nicely detailed and enjoyable wall but still...
Well, I can't speak for your 4.Ai; I can only say that my 4.A was good with depth in the midrange. I've heard the PFE232, but only once, only with my iPod Touch (admittedly not the best source), and only with reference filters. I thought it was good, but it didn't blow me away, though in its defense I only spent about 5 minutes with it. I can't really tell you whether you'd like it more.
EDIT: The only thing I can say for sure is that the only IEM can definitely say is in almost every dimension better than the 4.Ai is the FitEar TO GO! 334. It definitely suits all the things you're looking for --- more subdued treble, better soundstage height and depth, equal to more detail, and better transparency. However, it's easy for me to say, "Here, spend $1400 --- you'll get a good product."
Edited by tomscy2000 - 10/30/12 at 1:04pmpost #1241 of 252810/30/12 at 1:32pm
I have been fighting the urge to buy the FitEar for few weeks and you are not helping I am also worry about the fit as my ears are quite small and they look huge (The 4A.i nearly filled my ears). I will probably try the IE800 before the FitEar.post #1242 of 252810/30/12 at 1:49pmpost #1243 of 252810/30/12 at 1:50pmQuote:
Well, it's certainly not my wish to make you hemorrhage money; I'm merely citing my experience. From newly released technical information, the IE800 seems like it might be a good option too, though I'm personally afraid it's too bassy for my tastes.
EDIT: Regarding the fit, I'll agree with Bokyung; the 334 is big (I posted a 4.Ai vs. 334 picture somewhere) but it's still comfortable to my also small ears.
EDIT Here you go: http://www.head-fi.org/t/625466/heir-audio-world-tour/90#post_8705423
Edited by tomscy2000 - 10/30/12 at 1:54pmpost #1244 of 252810/30/12 at 1:53pmQuote:Originally Posted by thegrobe
I have a couple thoughts here, as it refers to using these with the Clip Zip . (I have no experience with the Rocoo).
The 4.Ai sounds good directly from the headphone out on either player, and sounds slightly better with the Clip. The Clip is clearer, has a more even top end and slightly punchier bass....BUT... in my opinion, the 4.Ai's sound better going through an amp, it seems to open the sound up a bit. The 4.Ai's have the ability to easily pull out as much detail as you put into them and I feel they do respond very well to using an amp. I also like to have the bass boost switch on my E11 available for those tracks where the 4.Ai could use a little help "fattening up" the lower frequencies. Between the two players, I find the iPod line out to have a bit more muddled sound and less detail available in the treble. I prefer the clip as a source. It is cleaner and is more even across the frequency range.
To sum it up, the 4.Ai definitely sounds best to me with an amp - and the clip as a source - for critical listening, where the 4.Ai shines.
Now on the 3.Ai, the difference is less noticeable. It is more fun and carefree. You can plug it right into the headphone out of either player and really enjoy it. It also sounds better to me running through an amp - but the margin of difference is smaller than that of the 4.Ai. I also find my preference leaning to the clip as a source. Then again, the highs on the 3.Ai are somewhat edgier so if someone who finds that offensive, the iPod works really well here. It takes the edge off the treble a bit but at the cost of some detail in the mids. But again the difference is not as noticeable as the 4.Ai. Please don't read this as the 3.Ai lacking somehow, it is just a different beast and works really well if you want to just throw a Clip in your pocket and go walk the dog.
Thank you very much.post #1245 of 252810/30/12 at 1:53pmWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
To be honest mate I have no idea what they are, they came in the box when I bought the second hand.
Edited by Jason36 - 10/30/12 at 1:55pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
This thread is locked
- Heir Audio 4.Ai - Appreciation/Impression/Review Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Heir Audio 4.AiNo reviews yet.
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 13 seconds ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF... 3 minutes ago
- › New Hifiman HM-802 DAP Announced 5 minutes ago
- › FS/T: [FINAL PRICE DROP] Audio Technica ATH-CK100PRO (New) / or... 8 minutes ago
- › Newbie - Need Help With Single Portable DAC/AMP Device for Multiple... 9 minutes ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 10 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 10 minutes ago
- › Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp 11 minutes ago
- › Triple Threat Computer Speakers 11 minutes ago
- › [Multi-Review] Hifiman HM901, Fiio X5, Sony ZX1, Hisound Studio 3rd... 13 minutes ago
- › Stax SR-202 by JustinBieber
- › AKG K 518 LE Limited Edition Folding Headphones - Red by kalpman
- › Sennheiser CX 685 SPORTS In-Ear Canal Headphones - Black by wrathzombie
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by Head-Head
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by G2F
- › ALO Audio The National by pieman3141
- › Ferrari AAV-1LFH009K Cavallino T350 Over-Ear Headphones by ourfpshero
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by H20Fidelity
- › Asus Xonar DGX by SSSN
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude