New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sol Republic Tracks? - Page 4

post #46 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by whysochangry View Post

 

That's just labeling. Snoopy was asking about a bass heavy headphone that are durable and looked good, and the Tracks were recommended to him. As you haven't heard them, refrain from leaving negative or positive reviews as you have no idea what they sound like. Literally- no idea. Why? You haven't heard them. Logic! Gotta love it.

Really? So labeling is never appropriate? Monster doesn't make headphones with boosted bass? Grado doesn't make bright and aggressive-sounding headphones? Audio Technicas aren't known for having a warm midrange? There's no such thing as a house sound? 

Headphone manufacturers, by and large have a distinct sort of sound. Yes, they vary by model and target demographic, but people are brand loyalists for a reason: because they like the house sound. The house sound of Sol is bloated bass and reduced treble. I've heard other Sol headphones including the Amps and Tracks ULTRA and they all have the same type of sound signature. In fact, the ULTRA is branded as being the top of the Tracks line (yes, better than the HD according to them) and they still sounded mediocre at best, suffering from all the same flaws and certainly nowhere near worth the $180 or so price tag. I'd take either of the headphones I listed in my last post over any of them in a heartbeat. 

post #47 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondite View Post

Really? So labeling is never appropriate? Monster doesn't make headphones with boosted bass? Grado doesn't make bright and aggressive-sounding headphones? Audio Technicas aren't known for having a warm midrange? There's no such thing as a house sound? 

Headphone manufacturers, by and large have a distinct sort of sound. Yes, they vary by model and target demographic, but people are brand loyalists for a reason: because they like the house sound. The house sound of Sol is bloated bass and reduced treble. I've heard other Sol headphones including the Amps and Tracks ULTRA and they all have the same type of sound signature. In fact, the ULTRA is branded as being the top of the Tracks line (yes, better than the HD according to them) and they still sounded mediocre at best, suffering from all the same flaws and certainly nowhere near worth the $180 or so price tag. I'd take either of the headphones I listed in my last post over any of them in a heartbeat. 

 

That's so funny...  Everything in bold is false!  XD  Monster headphones tend to actually have controlled bass (Gratitude and Inspiration) with a brighter sound (Inspiration) or sweet (Gratitude).  Grado actually makes warm headphones (SR60i).  Labeling is like an assumption.  They are rarely correct and when they are, you end up making an ass out of u and me

 

With that said, no one has heard the Ultra's yet.  I will be getting a set though :)  The Normal Tracks have a V-shape with slightly bloated bass.  I haven't heard the HDs, so I can't comment on that.  It's said to help fix (boost) the mids a bit from what I've read on here. You can't just go and assume that just because one, maybe two headphones produced by the same company have x in common that all headphones by that company will have x.  The UE TF10 and UE 500s both have strong heavy bass...  That doesn't mean the 700s have strong heavy bass. 


Edited by tinyman392 - 8/30/12 at 1:48pm
post #48 of 114

No Tracks Ultra review units have been sent out yet, or if they have, its too early to make a judgement on them. The only Tracks Ultras that are in the hands of consumers so far are the few that were sold on ebay that weren't authorized by SOL Republic. 

post #49 of 114

There is an unboxing up on youtube that just posted either today or yesterday.  But there was no review done...just the unboxing.

post #50 of 114

I know some guys who got their hands on a pre release unit, and they said it was great... but they aren't audiophiles. I'll try some if I get the opportunity, but I doubt I will anytime soon.

post #51 of 114
Thread Starter 

They came out today.

post #52 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

That's so funny...  Everything in bold is false!  XD  Monster headphones tend to actually have controlled bass (Gratitude and Inspiration) with a brighter sound (Inspiration) or sweet (Gratitude).  Grado actually makes warm headphones (SR60i).  Labeling is like an assumption.  They are rarely correct and when they are, you end up making an ass out of u and me

 

With that said, no one has heard the Ultra's yet.  I will be getting a set though :)  The Normal Tracks have a V-shape with slightly bloated bass.  I haven't heard the HDs, so I can't comment on that.  It's said to help fix (boost) the mids a bit from what I've read on here. You can't just go and assume that just because one, maybe two headphones produced by the same company have x in common that all headphones by that company will have x.  The UE TF10 and UE 500s both have strong heavy bass...  That doesn't mean the 700s have strong heavy bass. 


That's a Strawman fallacy. I never said that Monster's bass was loose and uncontrolled, I merely said that it was boosted. There are plenty of headphones that have both boosted and controlled bass. I also never said that Grados were cold headphones, merely that they were bright. My AD900s are both bright and warm. You're creating a false dichotomy, which just so happens to be another fallacy. 

No one's heard the Ultras yet? That's odd, because I can walk into my local Best Buy store and audition a pair right now if I so desired. 

The normal Tracks are not V-shaped. They are bass-heavy (or rather, treble-reduced) with a huge notch cut out of the midrange. The overall tonality of the headphones is still very much in favor of the bass. They are closer to "all bass and nothing else" than they are V-shaped. 

The quality of both the bass and treble is reasonably good, but the quantity is very much in favor of the bass. The midrange, however, is of poor quality, which is probably why the quantity is reduced. Sol likely ran into some trouble in that range and just decided to cut it out.

post #53 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondite View Post


That's a Strawman fallacy. I never said that Monster's bass was loose and uncontrolled, I merely said that it was boosted. There are plenty of headphones that have both boosted and controlled bass. I also never said that Grados were cold headphones, merely that they were bright. My AD900s are both bright and warm. You're creating a false dichotomy, which just so happens to be another fallacy. 

No one's heard the Ultras yet? That's odd, because I can walk into my local Best Buy store and audition a pair right now if I so desired. 

The normal Tracks are not V-shaped. They are bass-heavy (or rather, treble-reduced) with a huge notch cut out of the midrange. The overall tonality of the headphones is still very much in favor of the bass. They are closer to "all bass and nothing else" than they are V-shaped. 

The quality of both the bass and treble is reasonably good, but the quantity is very much in favor of the bass. The midrange, however, is of poor quality, which is probably why the quantity is reduced. Sol likely ran into some trouble in that range and just decided to cut it out.

 

I read bloated instead of boosted (my bad)...  Still standing by my statement though.  Bright + aggressive normally leads to a colder sound...  Despite that, you were still incorrect in your assumption as the SR60i is warm

 

No one has heard/owns the Ultras yet...  Go ahead and go to the local BBY and audition them; you'll still be stuck with their DAC and their music, and their devices... 

 

The Normal Tracks are V shaped with a bass focus.  That's how I heard them, and still do. 

 

With the rest of your statements, you make even further assumptions in which you have no proof behind...  How do you know they had trouble with the mids?  You don't.  We don't.  The only people that know are the designers, there is no guarantee that they had trouble with the mids. You can't just make assumptions about things and generalize things that broadly.  There is no way to determine, and no reason to defame any product that no one has tested yet. 


Edited by tinyman392 - 8/31/12 at 2:00pm
post #54 of 114
Thread Starter 
Ok again the tracks ultra are out and available on the Sol republic website.
post #55 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmik Panda View Post

Ok again the tracks ultra are out and available on the Sol republic website.

 

Thanks for the information, but that's not what we're talking about.  I'm curious to who's heard them.  Not auditioned at a store where you have no control about source files, DACs, etc; own listened, and heard them.  That information is far more useful than any type of speculation based merely on the brand. I will be getting a pair eventually.  I missed a package today (which I will pick up tonight).  IDK what it is though XD (maybe the tracks?  I have a pair coming).

post #56 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

I read bloated instead of boosted (my bad)...  Still standing by my statement though.  Bright + aggressive normally leads to a colder sound...  Despite that, you were still incorrect in your assumption as the SR60i is warm

 

No one has heard/owns the Ultras yet...  Go ahead and go to the local BBY and audition them; you'll still be stuck with their DAC and their music, and their devices... 

 

The Normal Tracks are V shaped with a bass focus.  That's how I heard them, and still do. 

 

With the rest of your statements, you make even further assumptions in which you have no proof behind...  How do you know they had trouble with the mids?  You don't.  We don't.  The only people that know are the designers, there is no guarantee that they had trouble with the mids. You can't just make assumptions about things and generalize things that broadly.  There is no way to determine, and no reason to defame any product that no one has tested yet. 

 


Once again, there is no direct correlation between warmth and treble level. It is my understanding from a fair amount of research and trial that warmth comes from the lower midrange and certain types of lower frequency harmonic distortion. That being the case, it is entirely possible for a headphone to be even piercingly, painfully bright, and still warm. "Bright+aggressive normally leads to a colder sound." Who's making assumptions now? The SR60i is bright and aggressive, and you also consider it to be very warm as well. 

How do I know that they had trouble in the mids? I don't, but if you look at the measurements there is a rise in THD at the exact point where the mids are cut out. I think it's a safe assumption. Take a look at the graphs yourself if you'd like; there is a very precise, mechanical "V" cut right out at about 400hz. Then again, the THD could be a symptom of of the notch, I'm not entirely sure. Low-end drivers usually have one area that they don't do so well. The overall tonal balance, however, is by design; it is a Sol Republic house signature sound.

My local Besy Buy allows you to bring in your own gear to test the headphones that they have out on display, so I routinely bring in my J3 and E11 to test out various headphones. It's my music, and my equipment, and it still sounds bad. 

Under $200 is an area where I typically recommend IEMs, as there are a whole lot of them that sound great in that range. For $100 you can nab a pair of Shure SE215 that handily best anything  Sol Republic can muster across the board. 

The 215s have gobs of tight, well-textured, bottomless bass, treble that is far more audible and clear than the Sols but nowhere near bright, and a midrange that isn't completely dished out and unnatural.

The most difficult thing I'm coming to terms with here is: Why Sols? There are tons of other, better headphones in the price range.


Edited by Alondite - 8/31/12 at 5:02pm
post #57 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondite View Post


Once again, there is no direct correlation between warmth and treble level. It is my understanding from a fair amount of research and trial that warmth comes from the lower midrange and certain types of lower frequency harmonic distortion. That being the case, it is entirely possible for a headphone to be even piercingly, painfully bright, and still warm. "Bright+aggressive normally leads to a colder sound." Who's making assumptions now? The SR60i is bright and aggressive, and you also consider it to be very warm as well. 

How do I know that they had trouble in the mids? I don't, but if you look at the measurements there is a rise in THD at the exact point where the mids are cut out. I think it's a safe assumption. Take a look at the graphs yourself if you'd like; there is a very precise, mechanical "V" cut right out at about 400hz. Then again, the THD could be a symptom of of the notch, I'm not entirely sure. Low-end drivers usually have one area that they don't do so well. The overall tonal balance, however, is by design; it is a Sol Republic house signature sound.

My local Besy Buy allows you to bring in your own gear to test the headphones that they have out on display, so I routinely bring in my J3 and E11 to test out various headphones. It's my music, and my equipment, and it still sounds bad. 

Under $200 is an area where I typically recommend IEMs, as there are a whole lot of them that sound great in that range. For $100 you can nab a pair of Shure SE215 that handily best anything  Sol Republic can muster across the board. 

The 215s have gobs of tight, well-textured, bottomless bass, treble that is far more audible and clear than the Sols but nowhere near bright, and a midrange that isn't completely dished out and unnatural.

The most difficult thing I'm coming to terms with here is: Why Sols? There are tons of other, better headphones in the price range.

 

The fact of the matter is that they are not bright (you go on attacking me saying I'm attacking a straw man and you're doing the same)!  That is my main point of the statement. There really is no "house" signature.  I originally thought the same thing existed, but there is none.  Each one has some unique features.  The only brand I'm aware of that has anything near this would be Shure with sweet sounding headphones (just about every one in their IEM lineup has this).  Monster?  Nope.  V-Moda?  Nope.  SOL?  NOPE.  MEE?  Nope.  UE?  Nope.  Grado?  Nope.  I can keep rattling off brands too...

 

Unless you know through fact, IE, you asked the darn company (in this case about having trouble with mids), there is no "safe" assumption.  We can say it has a weakness in the midrange, but that's it. 

 

Then go test out the headphones and stop assuming...  I've got them on my ears right now as I type this (I had to pick up a package today...  guess what it was?).  Boosted bass is true, poor mids is not.  There really is no "house" sound as you say it to SOL now. 

 

With that said, I do agree there would be better headphones for the price (in terms of the original Tracks), but I am impressed with the Ultras so far (unlike with the Tracks; non-HD).  Mids are fixed up for the most part.  I still need to burn them in and have the pads adjust to the shape of my ear, but so far, the mids aren't too problematic.  I say treble would be the worst (slight aggression to them, but good extension).  I'll say more as time goes. 


Edited by tinyman392 - 8/31/12 at 6:08pm
post #58 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

The fact of the matter is that they are not bright (you go on attacking me saying I'm attacking a straw man and you're doing the same)!  That is my main point of the statement. There really is no "house" signature.  I originally thought the same thing existed, but there is none.  Each one has some unique features.  The only brand I'm aware of that has anything near this would be Shure with sweet sounding headphones (just about every one in their IEM lineup has this).  Monster?  Nope.  V-Moda?  Nope.  SOL?  NOPE.  MEE?  Nope.  UE?  Nope.  Grado?  Nope.  I can keep rattling off brands too...

 

Unless you know through fact, IE, you asked the darn company (in this case about having trouble with mids), there is no "safe" assumption.  We can say it has a weakness in the midrange, but that's it. 

 

Then go test out the headphones and stop assuming...  I've got them on my ears right now as I type this (I had to pick up a package today...  guess what it was?).  Boosted bass is true, poor mids is not.  There really is no "house" sound as you say it to SOL now. 

 

With that said, I do agree there would be better headphones for the price (in terms of the original Tracks), but I am impressed with the Ultras so far (unlike with the Tracks; non-HD).  Mids are fixed up for the most part.  I still need to burn them in and have the pads adjust to the shape of my ear, but so far, the mids aren't too problematic.  I say treble would be the worst (slight aggression to them, but good extension).  I'll say more as time goes. 


You're perception of the SR60i as being bright is purely subjective, and thus only holds truth for you. In other words, it's meaningless. Look at the measurements and compare it to a neutral headphone. The treble is accentuated. Observable, inarguable fact. 

House sound doesn't exist? You stated that the bass is elevated even in the ULTRAs. Elevated bass is a house characteristic of SOL. I never said that the notched midrange was part of the house sound, only that it might have been a result of some issues in that region. I'm not sure why you keep going on about my potential reasoning about it, because that's largely irrelevant. The fact is: it exists. It doesn't matter why. 

Do they impress at that price-point? What are they, $200? 

post #59 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondite View Post


You're perception of the SR60i as being bright is purely subjective, and thus only holds truth for you. In other words, it's meaningless. Look at the measurements and compare it to a neutral headphone. The treble is accentuated. Observable, inarguable fact. 

House sound doesn't exist? You stated that the bass is elevated even in the ULTRAs. Elevated bass is a house characteristic of SOL. I never said that the notched midrange was part of the house sound, only that it might have been a result of some issues in that region. I'm not sure why you keep going on about my potential reasoning about it, because that's largely irrelevant. The fact is: it exists. It doesn't matter why. 

Do they impress at that price-point? What are they, $200? 

 

At time of listening, they do impress at price point.  Even next to the M80s.  I'm done arguing with you.  There apparently isn't any way to appease what you want, so I'll leave it at that.  You can go ahead and believe your ideas about "house" sound.  Keep going, making improper assumptions that have no justice behind them.  You're free to (and I won't stop you).  Just keep going assuming that all Grados will have aggressive treble (I find them soft, sonically speaking, not aggressive at all).  Go on assuming all Monsters will have boosted bass (which most do, I hear the trumpets are mid-heavy...).  Go on assuming all UEs will have a bass heavy sig...  Wait, you can't (UE has no house sound).  Keep going with your assumptions, they'll catch up with you eventually.  And I won't stop you, or them.

 

Note, that this is a first impression of them.  They are positive, and I can see myself recommending these (at this date and time).  But still want to adjust to them.  Find all the weaknesses and post my unbiased review that doesn't degrade a product just because they produced one bad one. 


Edited by tinyman392 - 8/31/12 at 7:43pm
post #60 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

At time of listening, they do impress at price point.  Even next to the M80s.  I'm done arguing with you.  There apparently isn't any way to appease what you want, so I'll leave it at that.  You can go ahead and believe your ideas about "house" sound.  Keep going, making improper assumptions that have no justice behind them.  You're free to (and I won't stop you).  Just keep going assuming that all Grados will have aggressive treble (I find them soft, sonically speaking, not aggressive at all).  Go on assuming all Monsters will have boosted bass (which most do, I hear the trumpets are mid-heavy...).  Go on assuming all UEs will have a bass heavy sig...  Wait, you can't (UE has no house sound).  Keep going with your assumptions, they'll catch up with you eventually.  And I won't stop you, or them.

 

Note, that this is a first impression of them.  They are positive, and I can see myself recommending these (at this date and time).  But still want to adjust to them.  Find all the weaknesses and post my unbiased review that doesn't degrade a product just because they produced one bad one. 

And while you're doing all of that I'll be enjoying my untouched-at-under-$200 VSonic GR07 :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: