Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K551 out soon.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K551 out soon. - Page 8

post #106 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony6225 View Post

yeah i tried braiding the cable and it ended up being too short. so i tightened the braid and the length was near perfect but the cable was too stiff and just seemed like one big knot. that cant be good for the cable

Braid half the cable's length. I find that this is the ideal length for most purposes.
post #107 of 119

i actually just left it in the tie it came with out of the box,just let it out a little enough so i can use it while sitting

post #108 of 119

I unboxed it this morning.  

 

Initial impression is almost the same as K550 aside from the color and much shorter cable.  I am not a fan of the relatively hard and thin wire.  I am burning it in right now.  Will report back with listening impressions.  

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/635064/new-akg-k551-silver-unboxing-video


Edited by HiFiGuy528 - 11/6/12 at 7:41am
Reply
post #109 of 119

I'm pretty sure these sound the same as the K550's (which sound absolutely fantastic). They probably just wanted to make a more portable version with a remote. If this is indeed the case then I really don't understand AKG's logic behind this. Why wouldn't they make the cable removable and include 2 cables in the package for this price. One shorter cable with a remote for portable use and one longer cable for home use?

 

Sorry about this offtopic question, but I'm interested to know if mr hifiguy528 has plans to review AKG K702 65th anniversaries any time soon?

post #110 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore View Post

Sorry about this offtopic question, but I'm interested to know if mr hifiguy528 has plans to review AKG K702 65th anniversaries any time soon?

 

Not sure why people are so excited about the new K702. Isn't it basically the same headphones with minor differences (headband + earpads)?

 

I just realized how much AKG loves to release the same old headphones with different paintjobs...

post #111 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by viralcow View Post

 

Not sure why people are so excited about the new K702. Isn't it basically the same headphones with minor differences (headband + earpads)?

 

I just realized how much AKG loves to release the same old headphones with different paintjobs...


Looks like you haven't been able to test these. Anniversaries pack a lot more punch than the standard 702's. I was very impressed when testing these last weekend and actually ended up ordering these for myself. I just like to read or watch reviews of interesting products. Especially when the reviewer is experienced.

post #112 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore View Post

I'm pretty sure these sound the same as the K550's (which sound absolutely fantastic). They probably just wanted to make a more portable version with a remote. If this is indeed the case then I really don't understand AKG's logic behind this. Why wouldn't they make the cable removable and include 2 cables in the package for this price. One shorter cable with a remote for portable use and one longer cable for home use?

 

Sorry about this offtopic question, but I'm interested to know if mr hifiguy528 has plans to review AKG K702 65th anniversaries any time soon?

 

Agreed. 

 

Me too, waiting for Mike's review for K551.

I tried K550 the other day and still debating wheter K551 worth to own.

post #113 of 119

let me know if you want the K551. I am selling my new pair. Theyre too big for me.. :(. but theyre great. I have the black ones, new in box. I can give you a good deal

post #114 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiegwardt View Post

let me know if you want the K551. I am selling my new pair. Theyre too big for me.. :(. but theyre great. I have the black ones, new in box. I can give you a good deal

 

 

Thanks for the offer, but I bought K550 last week :)

post #115 of 119

Could somebody please find a velour pad that fits this model!?


Edited by victordg25 - 11/25/12 at 2:13am
post #116 of 119

Feel a little sold out by AKG.

post #117 of 119
Have a set but never used. Not my style. New in box and for sale!
post #118 of 119

Bumping with some user experience.

 

I've been using the K551 for about a week now, and I completely adore the sound. It has precisely the sound signature I've been looking for for home and portable use, staying on the bit bright, clean side but also being able to reach deep down when needed.

 

Much like how I've heard about the K550, the correct positioning of the headphones might take a small while before you manage to get a proper seal. In my opinion it doesn't affect the sound too much though. I'm kinda big-headed personally, so the pressure level is comfortable and it stays on my head securely enough. The size might be a little bit silly to look at in very portable use, but if you use this while, say, commuting and such it shouldn't pose as a problem really. A carrying case and some extra adapters of sorts would be nice but once you have a few headphones you kinda don't really need any more. All in all, I only manage to find one major design flaw in these headphones though:

 

The plug doesn't fit all the way in with quite a few of the protective cases for iPhones and iPods. This includes the official bumpers for iPhones. This lets the sound work fine enough, but the microphone and remote controls will be offline.

 

 

With the cable being pretty much the only new thing in the K551 over K550, I can't help but to wonder how the engineers didn't take this to account. The iDevices are (some might argue intentionally) fragile pieces of equipment, and using them without at least some sort of protection is basically asking for an excuse to buy yet another expensive piece of fashionable elecrtonics. I don't mind the cable being non-detachable really, but limiting the prime function of the new cable in a manner such as this seems like a pretty major design flaw in my books.

 

So if you're considering about buying these, make sure that you can actually plug the headphones all the way in.


Edited by Jepu - 6/20/13 at 3:08am
post #119 of 119

If anyone wants to trade a K551 for my K550 give me a shout.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K551 out soon.