- productAKG K 271 Studiotagged by System, 8/6/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 8/6/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 8/6/12
- productbeyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphonestagged by System, 8/6/12
- productBRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 8/6/12
- productFiiO E11tagged by System, 8/6/12
- productFischer Audio FA-003tagged by System, 8/6/12
- productKRK KNS8400 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 8/6/12
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 8/6/12
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 8/6/12More
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 8/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Alternatives to ATH-M50? Last post on 11/15/12 at 7:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- headphones for under £250 Last post on 10/30/12 at 6:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for new headphones. Last post on 10/16/12 at 6:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones around $200 Last post on 9/13/12 at 12:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
First impressions When I first tried these headphones out of the box, I was a little disappointed at how the higher frequencies seemed to be more forward than the mids and bass. It wouldn't...
I was on the hunt for a well-made copper cable to complement my stock and third party cables for my Fitear IEMs when I came across Forza Audioworks. Good quality wire, ergonomics and aesthetics...
The best phones I've tried so far. I tried some well-burnt-in beyerdynamic and others in similar price range in a store, and I have owned the 601 before. I also own closed cans, e.g. the K271, and...
First of all, a big THANK YOU to @svyr and @H20Fidelity for organising this Australian tour. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be included in this...
For several years now, Astrotec has been a name familiar to enthusiasts as a manufacturer of value-conscious, yet quality-engineered, balanced armature IEMs. This past year, they began shifting...
[Poll] Best Headphone's Under $200 - Page 2
Poll Results: Best Headphone's Under $200
231 Total Votespost #16 of 2708/4/12 at 11:26pmThread Starter
11% (27)Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro
20% (48)Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro
24% (56)Audio-Technica ATH-M50
14% (34)Sennheiser HD 25-1 II
6% (14)KRK KNS-8400
8% (19)Ultrasone HFI-580
10% (24)Shure SRH840
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 2708/4/12 at 11:48pm
How do you have lots of bass and a balanced sound?
If you want lots of bass, the 8400 will just make you sad.
Should add the DJ100 to the list since you have an E6.
It has slightly more than neutral bass and still managed to sound balanced (with an amp!).
DJ100 has much more bass than the 8400 IMO. Better extension than the SRH-840, but less mid-bass.post #18 of 2708/5/12 at 2:01amThread Starterpost #19 of 2708/5/12 at 3:38amQuote:
Personally, I think the DT770 Pro is very different compared to the DT990 Pro. DT990 Pro has a wider soundstage, more bass impact, less bass rumble, more treble flooding compared to DT770 Pro. In short, DT990 sounds cleaner, clearer, and wider compared to DT770 Pro.
Given the right equipments, the difference would be noticeable. If you are just outputting from something like an E6, the difference is less noticeable as the amp can't produce a clean sound by itself.
But neither of those headphones is balanced in my opinions. Both have greater emphasis on bass and treble, which means their midrange suffers in the process. That's what people call the V-shape sound signature.
Oh, and I wouldn't recommend using them with a Fiio E6. It works, but it wouldn't be able to bring out their best.
Edited by Bill-P - 8/5/12 at 3:40ampost #20 of 2708/5/12 at 3:45amThread Starter
I guess ur right, but the Fiio E6 is all i can afford. I'm 16 and don't have a full time job so i don't earn much money. Which cans under $200 would you recommend that would work well with the E6 and have lots of bass (better then average) and still maintain overall balance.post #21 of 2708/5/12 at 4:09amQuote:Originally Posted by iDriveFerraris
I guess ur right, but the Fiio E6 is all i can afford. I'm 16 and don't have a full time job so i don't earn much money. Which cans under $200 would you recommend that would work well with the E6 and have lots of bass (better then average) and still maintain overall balance.
Shure 840's or ATH M50's are the closest to your description - they're reasonably well balanced in their sound signatures,
and have bass that's more than enough for most people. If you want more bass, I'd say you're tending towards "basshead"
territory. (There are headphones for that, of course, but if you start with those you can throw "overall balance" out the window._post #22 of 2708/5/12 at 4:39amThread Starterpost #23 of 2708/5/12 at 5:51amThread Starterpost #24 of 2708/5/12 at 6:27am
You could try the Fischer Audio FA-011s. They're about 150USD and they sound absolutely amazing for that price. They're excellent for most genres, and they're quite comfortable.post #25 of 2708/5/12 at 7:06amThread Starterpost #26 of 2708/5/12 at 7:55am
Try noisymotel.com or frogbeats.com. They're handmade in Russia, so they can be a tad difficult to find. Good luck on your quest, they're wonderful headphones ^^post #27 of 2708/5/12 at 9:50am
It turns out that you should be able to get sufficient volume out of a 250 ohm DT 990 with just an E6. See here.
The actual drivers on the DT 7/8/9 series are different for each level of resistance, so get the highest impedance version you can and enjoy it now. You'll get at least equivalent sound and much better comfort now and better scalability once you step up to something like the Fiio E10 or new Audinst HUD Mini.post #28 of 2708/5/12 at 2:43pmThread Starterpost #29 of 2708/5/12 at 6:19pm
Out of the 3 headphones I tried on that list with your sources, I would have to go: Sennheiser HD 25-1 II > Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohm version) > Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro. If I had a desktop amp I would go: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro > Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro > Sennheiser HD 25-1 II. I believe the best would be the Sennheiser HD-25 II for your source requirements based on what I've tried on that list, being that it's the easiest to drive of the 3.
Edited by chewy45 - 8/5/12 at 6:24pm
This thread is locked
- [Poll] Best Headphone's Under $200
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 24 seconds ago
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06 54 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › ROCK JAW - UK Engineered in-ears and over ear. Hello to one and all 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 2 minutes ago
- › New Sony high-end DSD gear, including a USB DAC 3 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . dual Sabre ES9018K2M dacs . . please post... 3 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 4 minutes ago
- › Unique Melody Miracle Review & Appreciation Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 580 by achelgeson
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Flizz
- › Forza Audioworks Copper Series Cable by awry
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by unshavenbastard
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by djvkool
- › Astrotec AX-30 by bowei006
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by Ultramus
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Skullcandy Fix In Ear Headphone With 3 Button Remote - White / Chrome by killeraxemannic
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob