Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › New Cavalli Audio Liquid Glass Amplifier - Fall Release
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Cavalli Audio Liquid Glass Amplifier - Fall Release - Page 7

post #91 of 641
Thread Starter 

Gents you have dipped into one of the endlessly explored topics of audio. So far as I know there has never been any definitive answer to these questions. There are answers in measurements and they are real and there are answers in simply just listening and they are just as real.

 

Unless you are choosing among amps that are just plain really bad, the choice often comes down to what you like to hear and what you CAN hear.

 

In general, it seems to me that if you like the sound then whatever you're listening too is right for you until you find something that you like better. Measurements, reviews by others, etc.can point you in a direction you might want to go in, but ultimately, it comes down to what you like in the context of what you can afford (the trade-off that we all have to make, or at least most of us).

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #92 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by runeight View Post

Gents you have dipped into one of the endlessly explored topics of audio. So far as I know there has never been any definitive answer to these questions. There are answers in measurements and they are real and there are answers in simply just listening and they are just as real.

 

Unless you are choosing among amps that are just plain really bad, the choice often comes down to what you like to hear and what you CAN hear.

 

In general, it seems to me that if you like the sound then whatever you're listening too is right for you until you find something that you like better. Measurements, reviews by others, etc.can point you in a direction you might want to go in, but ultimately, it comes down to what you like in the context of what you can afford (the trade-off that we all have to make, or at least most of us).

 

Couldn't agree more.

 

The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed. --Robert Pirsig

 

se

post #93 of 641
Thread Starter 
Now there's something from the past. wink.gif
post #94 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by runeight View Post

Now there's something from the past. wink.gif

 

Yeah. And so ware we. biggrin.gif

 

se

post #95 of 641
I thought I would share a few more photographs with you ( Alex has given his blessings ) because after picking this up at fedex, the real amp is just so much more substantial than the pictures portray. This amp has a real physical presence, I popped in some different types of 6SN7 to show how they would fit in the amp too. I also popped open the hood and there are some very cool features inside which show attention to small detail 
 
Front of the amp with the very large Shuguang 6SN7 bottle tubes. 
 

 

 
One thing you will quickly realise is that I have no photographic skills - I tried to get better light outside 
 

 

 
Different 6SN7 tubes  - coin base RCA GTB's
 

 

 
Top shot 
 

 

 
attempt to show the bevel 
 

 

 
Lid off
 

 

 
Cardas rhodium  RCA 
 

 

 
 
ground plane input board 
 

 

 
Noval input board at the back of the tube hollow 
 

 

 
Power supply / relay boards
 

 

 
Volume pot and more internal bits
 

 

 
Coupling caps 
 

 

 
 
 
 
I will refrain from my subjective ramblings but this amp lives up to the expectation of its legacy. 
 
 
;-) ..dB
post #96 of 641

Those bottles are gorgeous. I want one. 

post #97 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

Those bottles are gorgeous. I want one. 

They are pretty (Shuguang Treasures), but don't last long typically and go mircrophonic quite quickly on my experiences. confused.gif

post #98 of 641
I don't think that I have had this much fun rolling tubes as I did this weekend. Swapping tubes out in this amp was just pure  geek heaven, no pulling resistors or opening the amp to throw a heavy duty switch and no fussing with tube biasing. I honestly think that this is going to appeal to a whole slew of like minded folk who enjoy sampling their tubes. And it is all in the switches on the front panel which control relay coupled switching of the following:
 
Left to Right
 
Heater voltage - 6.3 or 12.6 DC 
B+ voltage  - 300V or 200V 
input selector - there are 2 inputs and one loop out
output selector   - headphones or preamp out
 
I have a reasonable collection of tubes and didn't get to even scratch the surface, partly because I kept getting swept away with the listening and got distracted from the rolling. I started off with some 6H23EV (6.3V heater and 200V B+), rolled in some smoked glass 12SN7's (12.6V heater and 300V B+), then switched back to coin base 6SN7 GTB's  (6.3V heater and 300V B+) and finally remembered the coke bottle new production 6SN7's sitting in the power amp and popped those in to get a feel for what the "best modern" 6SN7's were like in this amp. I could really hear the different nuances in these tubes, some clearly more "noisy" / microphonic but not a single bad experience  - stands to reason as I have weeded out most tubes that were nasty in previous amps. 
 
I should note that the amp has to be switched off to roll tubes and change voltages , but as the whole thing does not cool down, it comes back up to operating conditions fairly quickly. 
 
..dB
post #99 of 641

Would love to roll some Psvane tube's in that thing.....

post #100 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by dBel84 View Post

I thought I would share a few more photographs with you ( Alex has given his blessings ) because after picking this up at fedex, the real amp is just so much more substantial than the pictures portray. This amp has a real physical presence, I popped in some different types of 6SN7 to show how they would fit in the amp too. I also popped open the hood and there are some very cool features inside which show attention to small detail 
 
One thing you will quickly realise is that I have no photographic skills - I tried to get better light outside 
 
I will refrain from my subjective ramblings but this amp lives up to the expectation of its legacy. 
 
 
;-) ..dB

 

She is a beauty, I assume it is a she from the styling anyway. :P

 

Do want.  Thanks for sharing the pics.  I have the Agent Orange Stacker burned in memory, perhaps fading slightly with age. 

I am a fan of the styling as well, looking forward to rolling them tubes and hearing the Liquid Glass goodness someday with my various rigs.   

post #101 of 641
Thread Starter 

Ah well, it is just around the corner from you if you can get dBel84 out of the clinic. ph34r.gif

post #102 of 641
Thread Starter 

btw gents, what are your preferences for xlr output jacks?

post #103 of 641

4 pin, done.  Make the foofy triple pinners get adapters. 

post #104 of 641

deleted

 

edit :

 

these might be more aesthetically fitting for the styling as they would fit onto the subchassis and allow just the connector to be visible , will have to check if the latch can be ommited 

 


Edited by dBel84 - 8/30/12 at 12:06pm
post #105 of 641

He's trying to get a suggestion for the one people want in the amp itself, I think.

 

ie. a company.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

4 pin, done.  Make the foofy triple pinners get adapters. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sponsor Announcements and Deals

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › New Cavalli Audio Liquid Glass Amplifier - Fall Release