or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › New Cavalli Audio Liquid Glass Amplifier - Fall Release
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Cavalli Audio Liquid Glass Amplifier - Fall Release - Page 47

post #691 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseeater View Post


I don't want to open a can of worms; but seeing such a large list of tubes in your possession, have you been able to "burn-in" them all?

most of my tubes are bought used, for the rest I burn in atleast 50 hrs before listening.

post #692 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by punit View Post
 

most of my tubes are bought used, for the rest I burn in atleast 50 hrs before listening.

I received the Psvane Treasure II cv181's today.  I haven't burned them in yet, but I couldn't resist giving them a listen.  Even brand new I like them very much,  except that the noise floor is a bit high and I'm surprised at the microphonics. I hope the noise floor will lower with burn in, I don't know if that ever happens. Microphonics I can live with if the rest of the package is there.  Just worried about that noise floor.

post #693 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseeater View Post
 

I received the Psvane Treasure II cv181's today.  I haven't burned them in yet, but I couldn't resist giving them a listen.  Even brand new I like them very much,  except that the noise floor is a bit high and I'm surprised at the microphonics. I hope the noise floor will lower with burn in, I don't know if that ever happens. Microphonics I can live with if the rest of the package is there.  Just worried about that noise floor.

After only 8 hours of burn in, the noise floor has dropped considerably.  I think I'm gonna really like these tube when they're fully burned in.  Unless it's a power factor issue.  It's 10:00p.m. here in Pennsylvania USA and power factor is better at night, fewer inductive loads, motors, air conditioners.  I don't really believe it's the power factor.  I think it's the burn-in.

post #694 of 702
Thread Starter 

cheeseeater, I've been meaning to reply to your question, it's just taken me a while.

 

The noise reduction could be external factors, but the tube also should get quieter.

 

When the tube is brand new there are still various contaminants on most of the parts. The general rule is that about the first 50 hours these impurities out gas from the heating and are captured by the getter. In about 50 hours most of this gunk is cleared out and the tube has a pretty hard vacuum. At this point the tube will quiet down and then improve for several hundreds of hours. At least for most tubes this is a typical process.

Dr. Cavalli gained notoriety with his first DIY amplifier projects. His success has blossomed into Cavalli Audio, a world leader in amplifier design.
Reply
post #695 of 702
That's some great information. That makes a lot of sense.
post #696 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by runeight View Post

cheeseeater, I've been meaning to reply to your question, it's just taken me a while.

The noise reduction could be external factors, but the tube also should get quieter.

When the tube is brand new there are still various contaminants on most of the parts. The general rule is that about the first 50 hours these impurities out gas from the heating and are captured by the getter. In about 50 hours most of this gunk is cleared out and the tube has a pretty hard vacuum. At this point the tube will quiet down and then improve for several hundreds of hours. At least for most tubes this is a typical process.

That's great information. That makes a lot of sense.
post #697 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by runeight View Post

cheeseeater, I've been meaning to reply to your question, it's just taken me a while.

The noise reduction could be external factors, but the tube also should get quieter.

When the tube is brand new there are still various contaminants on most of the parts. The general rule is that about the first 50 hours these impurities out gas from the heating and are captured by the getter. In about 50 hours most of this gunk is cleared out and the tube has a pretty hard vacuum. At this point the tube will quiet down and then improve for several hundreds of hours. At least for most tubes this is a typical process.
From what you've said here, it seems reasonable to assume that tubes can be burnt in just a well without having a sound signal passing through them. Seems that it's primarily the heat. I can turn the laptop off. Correct?
post #698 of 702
Thread Starter 
Well...no.

The heating helps to harden the vacuum and this reduces noise but the cathode also needs to emit and stabilize at varying currents. So keep the music playing. smily_headphones1.gif
Dr. Cavalli gained notoriety with his first DIY amplifier projects. His success has blossomed into Cavalli Audio, a world leader in amplifier design.
Reply
post #699 of 702
Glad I asked. Thank you very much. It's pink noise ok?
post #700 of 702
Thread Starter 
MHO music with lots of dynamics is best. But this is not really science.
Dr. Cavalli gained notoriety with his first DIY amplifier projects. His success has blossomed into Cavalli Audio, a world leader in amplifier design.
Reply
post #701 of 702

cheeseeater  My only problem when using the Mullard CV 181 with TH 900 was that you get very little play with the volume knob. Just turn it a few millimeter from zero & it gets loud, so I used to adjust the volume from my source (Mac mini music server). Do you have the same issue with the Psvane 181's ?


Edited by punit - 8/18/15 at 3:59am
post #702 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by punit View Post

cheeseeater  My only problem when using the Mullard CV 181 with TH 900 was that you get very little play with the volume knob. Just turn it a few millimeter from zero & it gets loud, so I used to adjust the volume from my source (Mac mini music server). Do you have the same issue with the Psvane 181's ?

No problems like that at all. I like the pairing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › New Cavalli Audio Liquid Glass Amplifier - Fall Release