Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Writing my first headphone review on Head-Fi...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Writing my first headphone review on Head-Fi...

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 

and I'd like to do a good job.  So, I'd appreciate any help, suggestions or advice you guys might have.  Is there a standard or preferred format btw?  Thanks in advance!

post #2 of 24

Read darth nut's review on the O2.

 

Then give up and just post some impressions/comparisons with other headphones. tongue.gif

 

Just kidding, but I do think headphone comparisons are the most useful part in a review, so focus on that.

post #3 of 24

I agree about the importance of comparisons, especially to well known and very popular headphones. While some may think it is being too sensational to compare the headphone being reviewed to some headphones that are much more expensive, I think it is a good idea especially if the more expensive headphone is well known. For example, in my review of the $13 JVC HA-S160 Flats, I compared it to headphones in its own catagory though(lower priced compact portable headphones), and used the very popular Koss Portapro and Sennheiser PX100 in the comparison. Yes, the HA-S160 is much cheaper than these, however in terms of sound quality the HA-S160 seems to compare nicely with popular headphones in the $30-60 range even though it costs under $15.

 

It is also important to try to use descriptors for each part of the sound, describing the bass, midrange, and high frequencies separately. Describe the detail, clarity, boominess or accuracy and control of the bass, neutrality of the sound(does the headphone color it?), how natural the sound is, if the treble is harsh, boosted, or muted, etc.

post #4 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlylover View Post

Read darth nut's review on the O2.

 

I glanced at it briefly, which is to say I scrolled though it as fast as my mouse wheel would allow.  BTW, you do know that I actually want people to um, like, read my review, right?  biggrin.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlylover View Post

Then give up and just post some impressions/comparisons with other headphones. tongue.gif

 

Just kidding, but I do think headphone comparisons are the most useful part in a review, so focus on that.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK1 View Post

I agree about the importance of comparisons, especially to well known and very popular headphones. While some may think it is being too sensational to compare the headphone being reviewed to some headphones that are much more expensive, I think it is a good idea especially if the more expensive headphone is well known. For example, in my review of the $13 JVC HA-S160 Flats, I compared it to headphones in its own catagory though(lower priced compact portable headphones), and used the very popular Koss Portapro and Sennheiser PX100 in the comparison. Yes, the HA-S160 is much cheaper than these, however in terms of sound quality the HA-S160 seems to compare nicely with popular headphones in the $30-60 range even though it costs under $15.

 

It is also important to try to use descriptors for each part of the sound, describing the bass, midrange, and high frequencies separately. Describe the detail, clarity, boominess or accuracy and control of the bass, neutrality of the sound(does the headphone color it?), how natural the sound is, if the treble is harsh, boosted, or muted, etc.

 

I can do most of that.  Certainly giving a complete and relatively accurate set of impressions wouldn't be a challenge.  But I'm having a little problem with the comparisons portion.  This is mainly because I still have a somewhat limited collection of cans.  And the number of cans I have in that category (and at that price point) is even more limited.

 

I had planned to approach it as a possible upgrade to some lower-fi cans - like an "is it a worthwhile upgrade" kind of review... thereby leveraging the cans I already have (or have otherwise auditioned extensively).  Think that would be alright?

 

BTW, thanks for the helpful thoughts guys.  smile.gif

post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlylover View Post

Read darth nut's review on the O2.

 

Then give up and just post some impressions/comparisons with other headphones. tongue.gif

 

Just kidding, but I do think headphone comparisons are the most useful part in a review, so focus on that.

LOL at that review, I just kept on scrolling, scrolling, scrolling. 

 

Yeah, Warrenpchi, that example of a review is considered the bare minimum length around here. Good luck. biggrin.gif

post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK1 View Post

I agree about the importance of comparisons, especially to well known and very popular headphones. While some may think it is being too sensational to compare the headphone being reviewed to some headphones that are much more expensive, I think it is a good idea especially if the more expensive headphone is well known. For example, in my review of the $13 JVC HA-S160 Flats, I compared it to headphones in its own catagory though(lower priced compact portable headphones), and used the very popular Koss Portapro and Sennheiser PX100 in the comparison. Yes, the HA-S160 is much cheaper than these, however in terms of sound quality the HA-S160 seems to compare nicely with popular headphones in the $30-60 range even though it costs under $15.

It is also important to try to use descriptors for each part of the sound, describing the bass, midrange, and high frequencies separately. Describe the detail, clarity, boominess or accuracy and control of the bass, neutrality of the sound(does the headphone color it?), how natural the sound is, if the treble is harsh, boosted, or muted, etc.

I agree with that.
It's good to use a well known pair as a reference point so people will hopefully understand how you're trying to describe the sound more.
post #7 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZorgDK View Post

LOL at that review, I just kept on scrolling, scrolling, scrolling. 

 

Yeah, Warrenpchi, that example of a review is considered the bare minimum length around here. Good luck. biggrin.gif

 

You know, I was about to respond a few days ago with something along the lines of "very funny, you funny guy."  But as it turns out, my review is quickly taking on a life of it's own.  I was always one of those kids that didn't respond well to "brief and concise" - and I think this review it going to reveal that about me.  But on the bright side, I'll be including a bunch of pics!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1TCH3D View Post

I agree with that.
It's good to use a well known pair as a reference point so people will hopefully understand how you're trying to describe the sound more.

 

I agree too.  My problem there is that I haven't owned too many headphones.  And of the ones I have owned, I wouldn't necessarily call them common or well-known.  Oh well, I've gotta do the best with what I've got I suppose.

 

Thanks for the advice and encouragement guys!  biggrin.gif

post #8 of 24

Like others have stated, comparisons and choosing well known albums always helps.

 

As for its length, it depends on what you what to do with it. You could be extremely thorough or be critical on certain aspects like construction (lots of reviews floating around the internet). For forum threads, nowadays I'd much rather read a concise review and have the author(s) and member(s) expand upon it. There's no reason to feel obligated on having your initial opinions set in stone. 

 

Good luck with your review.popcorn.gif

post #9 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akabeth View Post

As for its length, it depends on what you what to do with it. You could be extremely thorough or be critical on certain aspects like construction (lots of reviews floating around the internet). For forum threads, nowadays I'd much rather read a concise review and have the author(s) and member(s) expand upon it. There's no reason to feel obligated on having your initial opinions set in stone. 

 

Good luck with your review.popcorn.gif

 

In many ways it will be a comprehensive general review.  I definitely want to give some thorough impressions of the unit's sound quality and signature.  And I'd want to cover any noteworthy items in other areas that I would want to know myself.

 

But as it turns out, I've  also decided to focus on a specific approach and direction.  I'll be reviewing a Sennheiser HD 215, one of the units that Sennheiser recently lent out to Head-Fiers as part of their HD 215 re-launch.  I have a suspicion that I was selected based partly based on ownership of it's little brother, the HD 205, so part of the review will be looking at the HD 215 as a possible upgrade.  I'll be throwing in some comparisons with an HD 212 Pro, an HD 428, and maybe even an HD 238.

 

BTW, if you guys have any additional comparison suggestions based on what's in my inventory, feel free to point them out.

 

Unlike many other reviews I've read, I'll be listing some specific tracks to illustrate certain observations.  Plus, with our hobby being as subjective as it is, I think that listing genres and tracks will help everyone "filter" my impressions based on their preferences - which will be good for them.

 

As for having members expand on it, hey that's a pretty good idea.  Thanks Akabeth!  I would love to turn the review into a starting point for a shared experience.  In fact, it would be awesome to have everyone else chimes in with their impressions and lists albums and tracks as well.

 

In the meantime, please keep the tips coming y'all as I'll be welcoming suggestions right up until press time.

post #10 of 24
Thread Starter 

Okay guys, it's up!

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/622696/review-the-sennheiser-hd-215-the-hd-205s-bigger-brother

 

Thanks again for all of the great advice and encouragement.  I had a bunch of fun doing it!  smile.gif

post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Okay guys, it's up!

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/622696/review-the-sennheiser-hd-215-the-hd-205s-bigger-brother

 

Thanks again for all of the great advice and encouragement.  I had a bunch of fun doing it!  smile.gif

 

Nice job!

post #12 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

Nice job!

 

Thanks!  smile.gif

 

BTW, if anyone has any criticisms or suggestions for my next review, feel free to let me know.  Gonna be auditioning my new O2 next week, might do a write-up on that.

post #13 of 24

Less is more.

post #14 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monkey View Post

Less is more.

 

LOL, now you tell me!  biggrin.gif  Unfortunately, I went the other way on this one...

post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlylover View Post

Read darth nut's review on the O2.

 

Then give up and just post some impressions/comparisons with other headphones. tongue.gif

 

Just kidding, but I do think headphone comparisons are the most useful part in a review, so focus on that.

LOL! That was an awesome point. I only skimmed it!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Writing my first headphone review on Head-Fi...