Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Fire Phoenix DAC-02 / the odac->o2 desktop rival
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fire Phoenix DAC-02 / the odac->o2 desktop rival - Page 14

post #196 of 244
Thread Starter 

Originally Posted by LaRzZa View Post

 

Thanks kiteki, I saw your discovery of the CM6631 USB to Coaxial Optical SPDIF I2S convertor in another thread and it looks interesting so probably I buy it next year.  wink_face.gif

 

Happy listening girl!

 

Yes, I'm considering it too.

post #197 of 244

4 weeks after getting the Fire-Pheonix 05 and replacing the stock op-amps. I am still getting random drops of sound which are replaced with static like noise followed by a click eminating from the FP 05. The click would repeat a few times then the sound will come back. The random drops of sound are really annoying. Anyone have any idea why the unit is doing this? BTW I am feeding it via Optical.

post #198 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoontan View Post

4 weeks after getting the Fire-Pheonix 05 and replacing the stock op-amps. I am still getting random drops of sound which are replaced with static like noise followed by a click eminating from the FP 05. The click would repeat a few times then the sound will come back. The random drops of sound are really annoying. Anyone have any idea why the unit is doing this? BTW I am feeding it via Optical.


one way to check is to replace your source with something else ... like a dvd player - most of them have optical outs.  connect the dvdp to your fp-05 via optical and play a standard music cd.  do you still experience the dropouts and noise?  if you do, then the issue is likely with the fp-05; if you don't, then you need to check your original source ... perhaps you need to optimize some settings for digital playback.

 

also check the condition/quality of your optical cable.


Edited by geetarman49 - 12/8/12 at 12:56pm
post #199 of 244

Thanks for the reply. I did try the different optical outs from my PC motherboard and my soundcard and both of them experience the dropouts. I also thought changing the cable would help but I did try various optical cables that have been working all the while so it looks like the FP-05 is the problem sigh... It really does makes the HE-500 and SA-31 sound livelier albeit a bit harsh and bright at times but details still there. It looks like I have to save up for that SA-1.32.
 

post #200 of 244
Thread Starter 

Hmm, it says $909 USD + shipping.

 

 

In that price class, here is a new DAC from Korg, it sold out all over Japan ---- http://www.amazon.co.jp/KORG-1Bit-USB-DA%E3%82%B3%E3%83%B3%E3%83%90%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BF-DS-DAC-10/dp/B009YD4NVQ

post #201 of 244

limited edition, japan only .... sold out  frown.gif
 

post #202 of 244
Thread Starter 
Originally Posted by geetarman49 View Post

limited edition, japan only .... sold out  frown.gif

 

where do I send my money.

post #203 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

 

where do I send my money.


well, you could send $$ to me wink_face.gif.   oh wait ... you mean for the korg?  i wish i knew ... maybe you could try contacting todd at m.a. recordings.

post #204 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoontan View Post

Thanks for the reply. I did try the different optical outs from my PC motherboard and my soundcard and both of them experience the dropouts. I also thought changing the cable would help but I did try various optical cables that have been working all the while so it looks like the FP-05 is the problem sigh... It really does makes the HE-500 and SA-31 sound livelier albeit a bit harsh and bright at times but details still there. It looks like I have to save up for that SA-1.32.
 

 

Just curious. Did you try the USB? 

post #205 of 244

Nope, the USB doesnt allow 24/96 or 24/192.
 

post #206 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

I will just say it. You guys with the Fire Phoenix. Do what it is you have to do to get this op amp. http://www.ebay.com/itm/260948692896?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649    Seriously. This sound I am hearing after installing this. You guys think your stock Fire Phoenix sounds good stock..Lol. Worth every cent to open then replace op amp to LT1028.

 

 

Funny how this FP is using the same Op amp found in this cheapo $20.00 amp, Lepai Thripath.   http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI

Dont laugh guys, its cheapo but sounds very nice and i am using it for my TV with some Dayton Speakers.

 

So i am gonna order two pairs of this LT1028, one for the FP and one for the Lepai,  DS could you please take a picture to see how this doubl thing goes on the board?   what i need to see/understand is how this "double" goes on the board. i need to buy two pairs of these "doubles" op amps?  

 

one set/a pair of LT1028 replaces one oem opAmp???  For example, the Lepai uses 2 opamps, i need to buy 2 pairs of these LT1028?

Thanks

 

thanks


Edited by rickdohc - 12/10/12 at 6:36am
post #207 of 244
Thread Starter 

You'll find that op-amps come in

 

- monolithic (mono)

- dual (stereo)

 

You'll also find mono to dual converters.  The L1028 chip is mono, the JRC4556 is stereo, so in a stereo socket, you have to use a mono to dual converter for mono chips.

 

The LT1028 is an unusual chip, it's not very 'safe' like NE5532 which will sound fine in pretty much any circuit.

post #208 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

You'll find that op-amps come in

 

- monolithic (mono)

- dual (stereo)

 

You'll also find mono to dual converters.  The L1028 chip is mono, the JRC4556 is stereo, so in a stereo socket, you have to use a mono to dual converter for mono chips.

 

The LT1028 is an unusual chip, it's not very 'safe' like NE5532 which will sound fine in pretty much any circuit.


Thanks for the info man!   Tyring to learn more about all this stuff.

Yea, i am using that NE5532 on my Lepai,  so do you recomend trying that NE5532 on the FP?  any other Op-amps recomendend?


Edited by rickdohc - 12/10/12 at 8:30am
post #209 of 244

700

You see how I have the chip.. It takes more work to take off the hood of the Fire Phoenix than replacing the chip.. Save this photo on your desktop and you are golden. Just wiggle that stock chip out of the socket and then replace with the LT1028. Also. I would just get one for now as these chips are kinda tall meaning it didn't fit on my HA-Info dac/amp.  It fit the socket on that unit but I couldn't close the lid as it was sticking out too much. 


Edited by Dsnuts - 12/10/12 at 9:06am
post #210 of 244

ok. thanks... waiting ... tongue_smile.gif
 


Edited by rickdohc - 12/10/12 at 9:18am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Fire Phoenix DAC-02 / the odac->o2 desktop rival