Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Fire Phoenix DAC-02 / the odac->o2 desktop rival
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fire Phoenix DAC-02 / the odac->o2 desktop rival - Page 10

post #136 of 243

I have no idea how I can get 2 perfect working ones and many of the guys get lemons. I know a few others that got working ones but there seems to be too much qc issues. This new link kiteki put up is interesting. Might be a better value and something much solid than my fire phoenix. Heck I might buy one just to check out.

post #137 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

For those interested in another CS4398 DAC.

 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PD01-TE7022-CS4398-OPA2132-USB-DAC-with-Headphone-amp-fuction-built-in-case-/110910466646 (seller: along1986090)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HIFI-NEW-Version-DAC-Decoder-TE7022-CS4398-24Bit-96Khz-USB-RCA-headphone-output-/140751305382 (seller: minishow0328)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DAC-TE7022-CS4398-OPA2132-USB-Preamplifier-WLX-/200761841719 (seller: zoe_tsang (no case))

 

It's called the "PD01 V1.1 by Wei Liang" or the "Breeze Audio TE7022 / CS4398".

 

How reliable are these? Thinking of getting an e10 for my brother as an all-in-one unit, but should I get these instead? 

post #138 of 243

I have the Fire Phoenix DAC-05. I think it's the upgraded model to the DAC-02. I received it in the mail and had no problems with it so far. No channel imbalances, just pumps good quality sound into my beyer dt880 600 ohm. However, for people who buy Fire Phoenixes, do NOT use the included headphone adapter. It's complete crap and thats probably whats making the unit sound bad. 

post #139 of 243

Did you use the included 6.3 to 3.3mm headphone adapter? If you did, find another or buy a better one. I had the same problem and used by own adapter and the sound cleared up right away. 

post #140 of 243
Thread Starter 
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

Heck I might buy one just to check out.

 

At least there are no moving parts, perhaps it's the peach of the lemon?

 

 

Originally Posted by dhL17 View Post
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

For those interested in another CS4398 DAC.

 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PD01-TE7022-CS4398-OPA2132-USB-DAC-with-Headphone-amp-fuction-built-in-case-/110910466646 (seller: along1986090)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HIFI-NEW-Version-DAC-Decoder-TE7022-CS4398-24Bit-96Khz-USB-RCA-headphone-output-/140751305382 (seller: minishow0328)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DAC-TE7022-CS4398-OPA2132-USB-Preamplifier-WLX-/200761841719 (seller: zoe_tsang (no case))

 

It's called the "PD01 V1.1 by Wei Liang" or the "Breeze Audio TE7022 / CS4398".

 

How reliable are these? Thinking of getting an e10 for my brother as an all-in-one unit, but should I get these instead? 

 

The Fiio E10 is a commercial product with bass boost and a volume dial, the iBasso D-Zero is nice and portable.

 

The ones I linked above are DIY style products using the CS4398 DAC chip as the vital feature.

 

The USB section (TE7022) is the same as in the E10, and the ODAC.

 

The headphone driver is OPA2132, that should be OK even if it's not quite the AD823 http://www.head-fi.org/t/242125/quick-review-of-the-ad823-vs-opa2132-vs-ad8066#post_3005836, which is what they used in the Colorfly C4 http://www.colorfly.eu/product_index.html.

 

The ebay seller along1986090 is definitely reliable and fast, I've bought four DAC's from him in total now and they're all perfect.

 

 

If you want to get him a 'special' present then yes, go for the Breeze CS4398.


Edited by kiteki - 11/7/12 at 3:38am
post #141 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ic3M0nk3y View Post

Is Dsnuts the only one so far who hasn't experienced problems with the Fire phoenix DAC-02 ?

 

 

No, I have no problems with it either. No noises or inbalance, also not when I tested it as an amp. However, now it is used as a DAC only with the potmeter fully open all the time.

 

I think I'll leave it at that position, since the pot is maybe not great quality. I'm very happy with it still, but I would not buy it purely as a headphone amp anyway. Maybe then de DAC-05 is a better option (if you haven't lost all confidence  in this company).

post #142 of 243
Thread Starter 

The upgrades in the DAC-05 are,

 

 

LME49720 to OPA2604 ----- The previous chip sounds nicer IME, and you can just do this yourself.  LME49720 to LME49600 or LME49990 would appear to make more sense here.

 

Taiwan Junfu to Japanese Ruby capacitors ----

 

Amp section changed to TPA6120 ----- Ok, so they improved the amp section so it can now drive up to 600 ohm headphones, but the TPA6120 is another skeptical choice in my view and it's most likely soldered down.

 

Transformer has been optimized ----- Ok so perhaps the new unit is using an R-core transformer, which has less EMI.

 

SDM circuit board ----

 

Electronic volume? ----

 

 

 

In my view, if the DAC-05 is most likely using a soldered-down TPA6120, and using the OPA2604, it doesn't appear like they've designed it with synergy or sonic traits in mind.

 

Not sure on the capacitors, did they just upgrade the brand name from Taiwan to Japan so it's better? =)

 

 

Sure, they improved the headphone driving power, ok, however as an alternative you could just go for the...

 

- Breeze Audio TE7022 / CS4398 DAC - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HIFI-NEW-Version-DAC-Decoder-TE7022-CS4398-24Bit-96Khz-USB-RCA-headphone-output-/140751305382

 

with the line-out into...

 

- A powerful external desktop amplifier, like this!! - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Finished-E3-clone-A1-headphone-amplifier-class-A-DIY-V1-5-/140798422320

post #143 of 243

Too many DACs.  :L I can't decide whether to get the FP DAC- 02 or the Shiyun DAC-05 or the  Breeze Audio DAC. I am planning on getting some Dt880 (600ohm) 's (or some HE-400's) so i don't know if the Bravo Ocean or the thing Kiteki just posted. Anyone wanna save my wallet before i get really sucked into it lol

 

edit: Or i might just get the Objective 2 if all of these somehow later reported in this thread as having issues :L


Edited by Ic3M0nk3y - 11/7/12 at 9:29pm
post #144 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ic3M0nk3y View Post

Too many DACs.  :L I can't decide whether to get the FP DAC- 02 or the Shiyun DAC-05 or the  Breeze Audio DAC. I am planning on getting some Dt880 (600ohm) 's (or some HE-400's) so i don't know if the Bravo Ocean or the thing Kiteki just posted. Anyone wanna save my wallet before i get really sucked into it lol

 

edit: Or i might just get the Objective 2 if all of these somehow later reported in this thread as having issues :L

 

The Objective2 (O2) is an amplifier.

 

The Objective DAC (ODAC) is the "matching" DAC. It has no amplifier.

post #145 of 243
Thread Starter 

I'd get the Breeze Audio CS4398 DAC to start with, then later you can get an external amplifier (of your choice, such as the objective2) for more power for your DT880 / 600 Ω's.

 

 

I don't know what the internal headphone amp in the breeze is like, but you should be able to utilize the CS4398 via line-out at least, which sounds better to me than the ESS ES9023.

post #146 of 243
Thread Starter 
Originally Posted by HamilcarBarca View Post

 

The Objective2 (O2) is an amplifier.

 

The Objective DAC (ODAC) is the "matching" DAC. It has no amplifier.

 

Yeah and both of them finished together are pretty expensive, I don't think they achieved what they intended in making high-end sound for cheap at no-profit.  All they did is make a fairly expensive product full of political anti-snake-oil doctrine.

 

 

I'm still interested in high-end sound for cheap, without all the lecturing and flawed anti-snake-oil talk.

 

 

If I wanted a DIY amplifier for around $100 I'd go for this one - http://www.aurorasound.jp/ManualAMPXE.pdf

 

You can improve the objective2 sound as well, see post #192 - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphone-systems/193977-objective2-o2-headphone-amp-diy-project-20.html

post #147 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

I'd get the Breeze Audio CS4398 DAC to start with, then later you can get an external amplifier (of your choice, such as the objective2) for more power for your DT880 / 600 Ω's.

 

 

I don't know what the internal headphone amp in the breeze is like, but you should be able to utilize the CS4398 via line-out at least, which sounds better to me than the ESS ES9023.

Sorry but , it was the same implantation ? and even if it was , this two dacs don't have the same needs to perform optimally . You prefered an implantation of CS4393 than sounded better than other implantation of ESS9023 but you could aslo prefer an another implantation of ESS9023 to your current CS4398 or even something that sound the same .

 

Well Built DAC tend to sound the same (at least from the few that i experienced ,  ) . (One PCM1754 +4580 on a DVD player) , HA Info U2 Plus (AD1852+OPA2134)) , ODAC (ESS 9023) , NFB-17.2(Dual WM8741 with filter that don't roll of highs) at level matched they sounded exactly the same ... (not the same story if level matched by "hear" , had to use a decibel meter etc to correctly match all them) .

 

We are no more in 80's , DACs are now a very mature technology .  Their is Differents DACs from different manufactures for differents need , with differents specs , because it's what market wants and need ... 

 

I don't tryed all DACs and theirs differents implantations so peraphs differences can exist ,( my motherboard desktop integrated sound chip don't sounded as good as the others soo , same for laptop integrated sound chip , but i think that integrated sound chips have progressed a lot peraphs in some years it will be enough  )

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

 

You can improve the objective2 sound as well, see post #192 - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphone-systems/193977-objective2-o2-headphone-amp-diy-project-20.html

Improve ? time to swapp opamp etc ... and your memory audio is gone , just if one say that their is an improvement is not a fact , if he had two O2 ones with standard Opamp and one with "improved" opamp , i would be a bit more tolerent to a sentence like "o2 can be improved" . swaping headphone to amp to another amp don't took to much time in comparison to swapping opamp .

 

FIY i also did some opamp swapping in soundcards and really though that their was an "improvement" . But it was placebo and biased tests ... Until i had the opportunity to have two piece of the same card borrowed by a friend ( Xonar ESsence STX , and it was the end of the belief in opamp swapping...  again it's just for one piece of hardware i am open mind so peraphs i will try it again with others stuff , but now i am very doubtfull in opamp thing) . It's just my own experience don't mean that you will experience the same thing . 


Edited by HaVoC-28 - 11/8/12 at 12:29am
post #148 of 243
Thread Starter 
Originally Posted by HaVoC-28 View Post

 

Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

 

You can improve the objective2 sound as well, see post #192 - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphone-systems/193977-objective2-o2-headphone-amp-diy-project-20.html

Improve ? time to swapp opamp etc ... and your memory audio is gone , just if one say that their is an improvement is not a fact ,

 

Sure, but did you see NwAvGuy listen to or measure the "improvement"?  No he doesn't need to listen nor measure, because he believes in numbers, perception limits and screens only.

 

So he just looked at the .PDF sheet of OPA627 and says it's placebo.  Meanwhile people describe it's sound the exact same way independantly in different languages, make sense to you? 

post #149 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

 

Sure, but did you see NwAvGuy listen to or measure the "improvement"?  No he doesn't need to listen nor measure, because he believes in numbers, perception limits and screens only.

 

So he just looked at the .PDF sheet of OPA627 and says it's placebo.  Meanwhile people describe it's sound the exact same way independantly in different languages, make sense to you? 

I used OPA627 on STX ... (4*OPA627AU for I/V Section) And 2* OPA627BP for Buffer smile.gif , and Used OPA627BP on m-stage and Firestone Audio sptifire MK2 , and i always had the impression that OPA627 improved things, but hey no level matching was done . Peraphs OPA627 as an influence in output volume ... don't know not a tech . 

 

But after level matching , fufufu , OPA627 OPA what ever , DAC A , DAC B , all the same . I tryed and i am now much more closer than NwAvGuy than before ... I changed my methodology with systematiquely doing level matching , and having two piece of the same hardware to fast swapps ... if i hadn't read NwAVGuy blog i still think that DACs and opas had a sound ... but it's not like i believe erverything he said ... my amps all sounded different . 

 

And for OPA627 ya their is similarities in what people say about it , but not always ... , and as i said up , peraphs OPA627 as a influence and output volume wich means to this general consensus about describing how it sound . 

 

Their is no perfect answer , just experiment , and judge by yourself . Some time it will have similarites to what other people constat , some times not . 


Edited by HaVoC-28 - 11/8/12 at 5:46am
post #150 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

If I wanted a DIY amplifier for around $100 I'd go for this one - http://www.aurorasound.jp/ManualAMPXE.pdf

 

You can improve the objective2 sound as well, see post #192 - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphone-systems/193977-objective2-o2-headphone-amp-diy-project-20.html

I've never done any DIY with electronics in my life before (I'm 15 :L) So i doubt either of those would work for me, also that $100 only goes up to 300ohms

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamilcarBarca View Post

 

The Objective2 (O2) is an amplifier.

 

The Objective DAC (ODAC) is the "matching" DAC. It has no amplifier.

Yeah i knew that, i was referring to the Bravo Ocean Tube Amp and this  

 
versus the Objective2.   
 
Dsnuts, do you know if the bravo ocean amp would be able to nicely power either the HE-400's or the Dt880 (600ohms)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Fire Phoenix DAC-02 / the odac->o2 desktop rival