Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/19/12
- productJVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black (Japanese Import)tagged by System, 8/19/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses. Last post on 7/24/15 at 3:08pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Beating a dead horse... Need advice - DT770 80ohm vs. AT M50 Last post on 2/18/13 at 3:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- OVER-PERFORMING, OVER-ACHIEVING Headphones/IEMs for their price range. Top cost effective cans/IEMS Last post on 7/7/13 at 2:17am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- What is the best travel headphone for $20 Last post on 8/7/13 at 6:25pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Eddie Current's Zana Deux reviewed... Pre-amble - the Zana Deux original vs the new Zana Deux Super... - There are two versions of this tube amplifier. Both are output transformerless (OTL)...
This review will cover the X5ii, comparing it to the Pono player and the original X5. I have a Pono in my possession now. I unfortunately sold my original X5 prior to receiving the review sample,...
Alright, so I am not an audiophile by any means, my entire experience of headphelia is just using cheap IEMs but after trying some expensive beats, I knew I needed something more. And if your like...
This is a review of Audeze EL-8C closed back planar magnetic full size headphones: https://www.audeze.com/products/el-8-collection/el-8-closed-back, with a bonus review of Audeze Deckard desktop...
Preface: Nothing too technical here; just wanted to give my impression as someone that had to "downgrade" from the HE-400's recently and has tried dozens of full-sized cans. I have had these things...
The JVC HA-S500 thread. - Page 509post #7621 of 825110/27/13 at 4:56pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #7622 of 825110/27/13 at 5:02pmQuote:
There ya' go Arin. Wrote this up on the ATH ES700 Thread.Quote: http://www.head-fi.org/t/645649/the-new-ath-es700/630#post_9604495
^ OK, the diff between the S500 v. S400 v. ES700 v. WS99s to me.
JVC S500: They have a linear sound that is tilted toward a V type of sound but to me they are pretty balanced. None of the sonic spectrum sounds recessed but they no doubt have more emphasis on the lows and the highs rather than the mids. The bass is relatively fast, tight and goes pretty deep with a medium-large soundstage. A great set of cans that does most genres justice esp. most contemporary types of music like pop, EDM, and rap/ hip-hop, etc. A stupid good bargain for the price with this type of performance.
JVC S400: These are mid-centric cans no doubt about it. Their lows and highs are adequate but is nothing to write home about. Others have reported with lots of burn-in the highs will really open up, but for me they are still lacking the extension i get from the S500s. The star of the show on these is their lovely mids, which almost make the S500s feel almost a bit lacking. Due to the mid focused nature of the S400s, they are an easier/ relaxing listen and many have described as more "musical" when compared to the S500s. Overall i would say the S500s is the more "balanced" headphone out of the two.post #7623 of 825110/27/13 at 5:27pmpost #7624 of 825110/27/13 at 5:29pm
Thanks guys, so now the question I have to ask myself is: Midcentric or detailed v-shape...Hmmm... I know I'll go for the s400's as I don't have any (working) mid-centric cans at the moment, plus they are cheaper so easier on me walletpost #7625 of 825110/27/13 at 5:38pmpost #7626 of 825110/27/13 at 5:39pmpost #7627 of 825110/27/13 at 5:46pmQuote:
No on-ear headphones are comfy, but with ATH or AKG pads these are OK for a couple of hours. You can use a chair headrest or some books to flex the headband a little to reduce the pressure.post #7628 of 825110/27/13 at 6:07pmI think the akg pads would most likely work best. My son has my a kg k518 LE on ears. The pads were really good,...they'd be great on the S500. The sq of the S500 is better than the k518 LE BTW (just an FYI).
http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Limited-Edition-Folding-Headphones/dp/B002F9MFTI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1382922407&sr=8-3&keywords=akg+k518+djpost #7629 of 825110/27/13 at 6:59pmpost #7630 of 825110/27/13 at 7:10pm
Welp for me the S500s is like owning a new set of flat screen TV and watching a HD channel for the 1st time, while the S400s is akin to getting a nice big screen computer monitor cuz it's sweet and intimate. :)post #7631 of 825110/27/13 at 7:41pmpost #7632 of 825110/27/13 at 10:53pmQuote:
Maybe it's just me, but I find the S500s to be more intimate. At least in the sense that I can "feel" the music a lot more including the emotion. I found the S400s to be pretty disappointing when compared directly with the S500s.post #7633 of 825110/28/13 at 5:15ampost #7634 of 825110/28/13 at 5:52amQuote:
Dem shiny ear cupsReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › My Sennheiser IE800. A lifechanging experience. 20 seconds ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread 23 seconds ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 1 minute ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread 1 minute ago
- › TEAC UD-301 4 minutes ago
- › Currently using a Xonar DGX, should I upgrade? 4 minutes ago
- › VENI-VIDI-VICI! V-MODA's new IEMs - Zn (formerly Alto) + FORZA -... 4 minutes ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion + Tour Application... 5 minutes ago
- › MacaW GT100s(inverted dynamic driver) impressions thread 5 minutes ago
- › Eddie Current Zana Deux SE by mikoss
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by LandonO
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by twister6
- › Yamaha HPH-MT220BL by RushNerd
- › Klipsch Image X10 Noise-Isolating Earphone by achelgeson
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by krishtrinity1
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by nauhid
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by RedJohn456
- › Alpha & Delta AD01 by nmatheis
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3