Bought my girlfriend some Downtowns on a whim they'd be acceptable. SLightly preferring them over the S500s :/
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/19/12
- productJVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black (Japanese Import)tagged by System, 8/19/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses. Last post on 11/15/16 at 12:06am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Beating a dead horse... Need advice - DT770 80ohm vs. AT M50 Last post on 2/18/13 at 3:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- OVER-PERFORMING, OVER-ACHIEVING Headphones/IEMs for their price range. Top cost effective cans/IEMS Last post on 7/7/13 at 2:17am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- What is the best travel headphone for $20 Last post on 8/7/13 at 6:25pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Even at their current $89 price, I consider the Klipsch R6s an excellent value. They are fundamentally honest about what you put into them. Although they reveal a great deal about each recording,...
With my head laid back, eyes closed, and feet tapping to the beat, I can’t help but be thankful for some of the audio equipment that I have. Thankfully, Justin Weber, owner of Ampsandsound,...
Acknowledgment It’s always a privilege to check out new gear in exchange for your honest opinion. Thanks, iFi, for letting me in on this particular party. I’ve been borrowing this unit...
Introduction I have recently had the good fortune to review 1More’s excellent Triple Driver 1001 In Ear Monitors and their MK802 Bluetooth full-sized headphone and was left extremely impressed...
As the rabbit hole of summit-fi in-ear monitors gets deeper and deeper, I find myself encountering the same issues over and over. Most of the high end multiple armature driver in-ear monitors in...
The JVC HA-S500 thread. - Page 503post #7531 of 831910/16/13 at 3:27pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #7532 of 831910/16/13 at 3:37pmpost #7533 of 831910/17/13 at 5:41ampost #7534 of 831910/17/13 at 7:49ampost #7535 of 831910/17/13 at 10:39pmQuote:
Really, what kind of music? How is it with EDM, dubstep, etc?post #7536 of 831910/18/13 at 1:43ampost #7537 of 831910/18/13 at 7:03ampost #7538 of 831910/18/13 at 7:09ampost #7539 of 831910/18/13 at 2:51pm
Just a quick update on my S500. I ordered 50 foot of the 26 awg 7n cryo treated upocc silver+copper cable but after making a cable for my DT250 and my Yamaha PRO400 I don't have enough for the S500 so I decided to use my old canare star-quad cable instead.
I also made a bass port or vent or whatever you want to call it. It's works kinda like the vents on the V-Moda.
This took a very long time (two days). This was a difficult mod and required lot of patience.
Here's an example of where I drilled the hole for vents. I had to make a little mod to the second set of rings.
*This is not a picture my headphone. I'm just using it to show where the vents are.
This was a fun and tiring project, but I'm pretty happy with the result. I can't give an accurate description of the sound until I have more time with it, but after only 6 hours it's pretty damn good (placebo maybe?). The cosmetic mods gave my S500 a little more swag, the canare cable help clean up the sound a little bit and the bass port gave it bigger bass and improved soundstage and imaging.
For now I'm done with my S500, I still have to finish my DT250 cable and a low profile left exit lod for my sansa fuze so the S500 will have to wait. I would like to sleeve the canare cable and I forgot to install the cap for the Y splitter thingy but those are just little things that won't bother me much.
I will write a tutorial on some of these mods when I have some time. I have to do a tear down so I can take some pictures.
Edited by RoMee - 10/18/13 at 2:57pmpost #7540 of 831910/18/13 at 2:53pmI'm fairly bad at explaining things audio related. In the simplest way, the short time I had with them, they were just a bit more enjoyable, fun if you will. I was quite taken back by one of Amon Amarths songs and how it sounded compared to the S500s. Out of my amp though I much prefer the S500s. It's an odd one, sorry for not being much use!post #7541 of 831910/18/13 at 3:31pmpost #7542 of 831910/18/13 at 10:32pmQuote:
When it comes to electronic music they're not even close to the S500s. Personally, I prefer the sound of the S500s over the CALs, but I've never actually owned the CALs. I wonder if Dsnuts still frequents this thread, he could give you a great comparison between the two.post #7543 of 831910/18/13 at 11:00pmQuote:
So neutral = cheap?
It's more accurate if anything.post #7544 of 831910/18/13 at 11:18pm
No, neutral doesn't mean cheap, but the S400s sound like they cost under $50. It's like you can hear the price range because of its limits, I don't have that problem with the S500s.post #7545 of 831910/19/13 at 5:38amQuote:
Limits? Hear it's price range?
The s500 sounds good for what it is. A bass tilted phone. The s400 is good at what it does, a more neutral accurate phone.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 48 seconds ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 49 seconds ago
- › Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3 53 seconds ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★FAQ in 3rd post!★☆ 2 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › Caffeine addicts anonymous 4 minutes ago
- › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) 11 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 11 minutes ago
- › The JH16 Pro Impressions Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Klipsch R6m Black In Ear Headphone by 1mctous
- › ampsandsound Kenzie Headphone Amplifier by Smazz
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD Black Label by glassmonkey
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by Peddler
- › iFi Audio iEMatch Headphone Travel Accessory by Hisoundfi
- › Soundaware Esther by ambchang
- › ZMF Headphones Eikon by Hisoundfi
- › HiFiMAN Edition S by Aornic
- › Accutone Taurus by mark2410
- › Remax RM 305M Aluminum Earbud by Redcarmoose
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear