Bought my girlfriend some Downtowns on a whim they'd be acceptable. SLightly preferring them over the S500s :/
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/19/12
- productJVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black (Japanese Import)tagged by System, 8/19/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses. Last post on 1/29/16 at 1:21pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Beating a dead horse... Need advice - DT770 80ohm vs. AT M50 Last post on 2/18/13 at 3:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- OVER-PERFORMING, OVER-ACHIEVING Headphones/IEMs for their price range. Top cost effective cans/IEMS Last post on 7/7/13 at 2:17am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- What is the best travel headphone for $20 Last post on 8/7/13 at 6:25pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Quick Review : I bought them for casual listening and mixing and mastering purpose. I'm not disappointed by the sound signature. Things I'd like to stay the way they are: 1. frequency...
I have previously given a positive review for the Philips SHE3590, a cheap IEM that sounds good. I purchased the Philips SHE3595 because it looks like the SHE3590, has a microphone and it was...
Introduction – This is getting ridiculous, with a $5 RRP, the VE Monk+ is cheaper than most cables. The VE Monk+ is an update to the highly regarded VE Monk, one of the most awarded and most...
Background I first came across Rhapsodio, a boutique IEM maker based in Hong Kong, back in May 2013. I purchased their RDB+ v1 hybrid then, which is rather fun-sounding. After a year or so, I...
Shozy reached out to me and offered me a free set (just paid shipping+handling) in exchange for my review, and I gladly accepted. Many thanks to Shozy for this opportunity. Even though Shozy...
The JVC HA-S500 thread. - Page 503post #7531 of 829810/16/13 at 3:27pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #7532 of 829810/16/13 at 3:37pmpost #7533 of 829810/17/13 at 5:41ampost #7534 of 829810/17/13 at 7:49ampost #7535 of 829810/17/13 at 10:39pmQuote:
Really, what kind of music? How is it with EDM, dubstep, etc?post #7536 of 829810/18/13 at 1:43ampost #7537 of 829810/18/13 at 7:03ampost #7538 of 829810/18/13 at 7:09ampost #7539 of 829810/18/13 at 2:51pm
Just a quick update on my S500. I ordered 50 foot of the 26 awg 7n cryo treated upocc silver+copper cable but after making a cable for my DT250 and my Yamaha PRO400 I don't have enough for the S500 so I decided to use my old canare star-quad cable instead.
I also made a bass port or vent or whatever you want to call it. It's works kinda like the vents on the V-Moda.
This took a very long time (two days). This was a difficult mod and required lot of patience.
Here's an example of where I drilled the hole for vents. I had to make a little mod to the second set of rings.
*This is not a picture my headphone. I'm just using it to show where the vents are.
This was a fun and tiring project, but I'm pretty happy with the result. I can't give an accurate description of the sound until I have more time with it, but after only 6 hours it's pretty damn good (placebo maybe?). The cosmetic mods gave my S500 a little more swag, the canare cable help clean up the sound a little bit and the bass port gave it bigger bass and improved soundstage and imaging.
For now I'm done with my S500, I still have to finish my DT250 cable and a low profile left exit lod for my sansa fuze so the S500 will have to wait. I would like to sleeve the canare cable and I forgot to install the cap for the Y splitter thingy but those are just little things that won't bother me much.
I will write a tutorial on some of these mods when I have some time. I have to do a tear down so I can take some pictures.
Edited by RoMee - 10/18/13 at 2:57pmpost #7540 of 829810/18/13 at 2:53pmI'm fairly bad at explaining things audio related. In the simplest way, the short time I had with them, they were just a bit more enjoyable, fun if you will. I was quite taken back by one of Amon Amarths songs and how it sounded compared to the S500s. Out of my amp though I much prefer the S500s. It's an odd one, sorry for not being much use!post #7541 of 829810/18/13 at 3:31pmpost #7542 of 829810/18/13 at 10:32pmQuote:
When it comes to electronic music they're not even close to the S500s. Personally, I prefer the sound of the S500s over the CALs, but I've never actually owned the CALs. I wonder if Dsnuts still frequents this thread, he could give you a great comparison between the two.post #7543 of 829810/18/13 at 11:00pmQuote:
So neutral = cheap?
It's more accurate if anything.post #7544 of 829810/18/13 at 11:18pm
No, neutral doesn't mean cheap, but the S400s sound like they cost under $50. It's like you can hear the price range because of its limits, I don't have that problem with the S500s.post #7545 of 829810/19/13 at 5:38amQuote:
Limits? Hear it's price range?
The s500 sounds good for what it is. A bass tilted phone. The s400 is good at what it does, a more neutral accurate phone.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread 13 seconds ago
- › SpinFit Eartips Thread - The cheapest audio upgrade 19 seconds ago
- › She is M1(Esther) ---SOUNDAWARE New Portable Player Thread Updated 46 seconds ago
- › FiiO AM2, AM3, AM5( Headphone Amplifier Modules) for X7 Review... 55 seconds ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › TRINITY - DELTA HYBRID V II 2 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 2 minutes ago
- › Your Suggestion or Design might be used on FiiO Players!!! 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 4 minutes ago
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by MMansell
- › Philips SHE3595WT/28 In-Ear Headset with Mic White by stweb
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by ryanjsoo
- › Rhapsodio Galaxy by taz23
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by vapman
- › Rhapsodio Solar by ezekiel77
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by twister6
- › AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp by Stereocilia
- › Edifier M710 On-Ear Headphones with Mic and Volume Control - Red by Nymphonomaniac
- › HIFIMAN Edition X Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphones by kendetamas
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse