Bought my girlfriend some Downtowns on a whim they'd be acceptable. SLightly preferring them over the S500s :/
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/19/12
- productJVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black (Japanese Import)tagged by System, 8/19/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses. Last post on 11/15/16 at 12:06am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Beating a dead horse... Need advice - DT770 80ohm vs. AT M50 Last post on 2/18/13 at 3:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- OVER-PERFORMING, OVER-ACHIEVING Headphones/IEMs for their price range. Top cost effective cans/IEMS Last post on 7/7/13 at 2:17am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- What is the best travel headphone for $20 Last post on 8/7/13 at 6:25pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONThis is the 2nd pair of IEMs sent to me for evaluation recently by FiiO. You can find my...
Unboxing This package came in an unassuming black box with the branding directly on the front. Opening it reveals the very nice semi-hard case that stores the earphones. Opening the case...
Intro I wanted to start this review off with a Swiss Army knife joke but it looks like several Head-Fiers have already did that so in a futile attempt to be both funny and original I’ll start off...
This is the video review of the Cayin i5 Digital Audio Player. The player has been compared with iDSD Micro BL and Audeze Cypher cable for its sound qualities. Skip to 12 minutes 50 seconds mark...
DISCLAIMER The Empire Ears Zeus-R was purchased during my trip to the Empire Ears office at Buford, Georgia. The Empire Ears team have since moved their operations to their newer and larger...
The JVC HA-S500 thread. - Page 503post #7531 of 832210/16/13 at 3:27pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #7532 of 832210/16/13 at 3:37pmpost #7533 of 832210/17/13 at 5:41ampost #7534 of 832210/17/13 at 7:49ampost #7535 of 832210/17/13 at 10:39pmQuote:
Really, what kind of music? How is it with EDM, dubstep, etc?post #7536 of 832210/18/13 at 1:43ampost #7537 of 832210/18/13 at 7:03ampost #7538 of 832210/18/13 at 7:09ampost #7539 of 832210/18/13 at 2:51pm
Just a quick update on my S500. I ordered 50 foot of the 26 awg 7n cryo treated upocc silver+copper cable but after making a cable for my DT250 and my Yamaha PRO400 I don't have enough for the S500 so I decided to use my old canare star-quad cable instead.
I also made a bass port or vent or whatever you want to call it. It's works kinda like the vents on the V-Moda.
This took a very long time (two days). This was a difficult mod and required lot of patience.
Here's an example of where I drilled the hole for vents. I had to make a little mod to the second set of rings.
*This is not a picture my headphone. I'm just using it to show where the vents are.
This was a fun and tiring project, but I'm pretty happy with the result. I can't give an accurate description of the sound until I have more time with it, but after only 6 hours it's pretty damn good (placebo maybe?). The cosmetic mods gave my S500 a little more swag, the canare cable help clean up the sound a little bit and the bass port gave it bigger bass and improved soundstage and imaging.
For now I'm done with my S500, I still have to finish my DT250 cable and a low profile left exit lod for my sansa fuze so the S500 will have to wait. I would like to sleeve the canare cable and I forgot to install the cap for the Y splitter thingy but those are just little things that won't bother me much.
I will write a tutorial on some of these mods when I have some time. I have to do a tear down so I can take some pictures.
Edited by RoMee - 10/18/13 at 2:57pmpost #7540 of 832210/18/13 at 2:53pmI'm fairly bad at explaining things audio related. In the simplest way, the short time I had with them, they were just a bit more enjoyable, fun if you will. I was quite taken back by one of Amon Amarths songs and how it sounded compared to the S500s. Out of my amp though I much prefer the S500s. It's an odd one, sorry for not being much use!post #7541 of 832210/18/13 at 3:31pmpost #7542 of 832210/18/13 at 10:32pmQuote:
When it comes to electronic music they're not even close to the S500s. Personally, I prefer the sound of the S500s over the CALs, but I've never actually owned the CALs. I wonder if Dsnuts still frequents this thread, he could give you a great comparison between the two.post #7543 of 832210/18/13 at 11:00pmQuote:
So neutral = cheap?
It's more accurate if anything.post #7544 of 832210/18/13 at 11:18pm
No, neutral doesn't mean cheap, but the S400s sound like they cost under $50. It's like you can hear the price range because of its limits, I don't have that problem with the S500s.post #7545 of 832210/19/13 at 5:38amQuote:
Limits? Hear it's price range?
The s500 sounds good for what it is. A bass tilted phone. The s400 is good at what it does, a more neutral accurate phone.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Classical music discussion, what do you like? 34 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › SPDIF to DAC/Amp combof 5.1 4 minutes ago
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds 4 minutes ago
- › Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Chicago area Headphone Meet - January 28th 2017 "ChiUniFi" 7 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 8 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 8 minutes ago
- › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 9 minutes ago
- › SOUNDAWARE M1(PRO) Portable Player with Proprietary FPGA Architecture 11 minutes ago
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Yethal
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Cosmic Ears CE6P by fluffyberry
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by tenedosian
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Dobrescu George
- › Westone W80 Eight-Driver System with Dual Bass, Dual Mid, and Quad... by Koolpep
- › JDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifier by SoundApprentice
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear