Bought my girlfriend some Downtowns on a whim they'd be acceptable. SLightly preferring them over the S500s :/
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/19/12
- productJVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black (Japanese Import)tagged by System, 8/19/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses. Last post on 1/29/16 at 1:21pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Beating a dead horse... Need advice - DT770 80ohm vs. AT M50 Last post on 2/18/13 at 3:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- OVER-PERFORMING, OVER-ACHIEVING Headphones/IEMs for their price range. Top cost effective cans/IEMS Last post on 7/7/13 at 2:17am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- What is the best travel headphone for $20 Last post on 8/7/13 at 6:25pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
DISCLAIMER After my last pair of earphones broke, I did some research on the forums to find high praise for Edifier, much of which for the 185's. A bit of research showed that the company sought...
DISCLAIMER I am in no way associated with the SoundMAGIC company. I have bought ES18 myself and just expressing my honest opinion here. ABOUT ME I am a 25 years old music enthusiast...
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION I've had the pleasure of listening to most of DUNU Topsound's hybrid earphones (DN1000, 2000...
Read the full review here! http://www.head-fi.org/t/809194/review-t-peos-rasiel
The JVC HA-S500 thread. - Page 503post #7531 of 829810/16/13 at 3:27pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #7532 of 829810/16/13 at 3:37pmpost #7533 of 829810/17/13 at 5:41ampost #7534 of 829810/17/13 at 7:49ampost #7535 of 829810/17/13 at 10:39pmQuote:
Really, what kind of music? How is it with EDM, dubstep, etc?post #7536 of 829810/18/13 at 1:43ampost #7537 of 829810/18/13 at 7:03ampost #7538 of 829810/18/13 at 7:09ampost #7539 of 829810/18/13 at 2:51pm
Just a quick update on my S500. I ordered 50 foot of the 26 awg 7n cryo treated upocc silver+copper cable but after making a cable for my DT250 and my Yamaha PRO400 I don't have enough for the S500 so I decided to use my old canare star-quad cable instead.
I also made a bass port or vent or whatever you want to call it. It's works kinda like the vents on the V-Moda.
This took a very long time (two days). This was a difficult mod and required lot of patience.
Here's an example of where I drilled the hole for vents. I had to make a little mod to the second set of rings.
*This is not a picture my headphone. I'm just using it to show where the vents are.
This was a fun and tiring project, but I'm pretty happy with the result. I can't give an accurate description of the sound until I have more time with it, but after only 6 hours it's pretty damn good (placebo maybe?). The cosmetic mods gave my S500 a little more swag, the canare cable help clean up the sound a little bit and the bass port gave it bigger bass and improved soundstage and imaging.
For now I'm done with my S500, I still have to finish my DT250 cable and a low profile left exit lod for my sansa fuze so the S500 will have to wait. I would like to sleeve the canare cable and I forgot to install the cap for the Y splitter thingy but those are just little things that won't bother me much.
I will write a tutorial on some of these mods when I have some time. I have to do a tear down so I can take some pictures.
Edited by RoMee - 10/18/13 at 2:57pmpost #7540 of 829810/18/13 at 2:53pmI'm fairly bad at explaining things audio related. In the simplest way, the short time I had with them, they were just a bit more enjoyable, fun if you will. I was quite taken back by one of Amon Amarths songs and how it sounded compared to the S500s. Out of my amp though I much prefer the S500s. It's an odd one, sorry for not being much use!post #7541 of 829810/18/13 at 3:31pmpost #7542 of 829810/18/13 at 10:32pmQuote:
When it comes to electronic music they're not even close to the S500s. Personally, I prefer the sound of the S500s over the CALs, but I've never actually owned the CALs. I wonder if Dsnuts still frequents this thread, he could give you a great comparison between the two.post #7543 of 829810/18/13 at 11:00pmQuote:
So neutral = cheap?
It's more accurate if anything.post #7544 of 829810/18/13 at 11:18pm
No, neutral doesn't mean cheap, but the S400s sound like they cost under $50. It's like you can hear the price range because of its limits, I don't have that problem with the S500s.post #7545 of 829810/19/13 at 5:38amQuote:
Limits? Hear it's price range?
The s500 sounds good for what it is. A bass tilted phone. The s400 is good at what it does, a more neutral accurate phone.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Review on HtC 10 and Sound quality 8 seconds ago
- › Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions 31 seconds ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 32 seconds ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 37 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 44 seconds ago
- › Vape-Fi 1 minute ago
- › New Zealand Headphone Meet MK II, 2015 Ed. 1 minute ago
- › The DIY'rs Cookbook 1 minute ago
- › MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Cowon Plenue D 3 minutes ago
- › Edifier P185 Headphones Hi-Fi Classic Earbud Style Earphones With... by flamerz
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by TravAndAlex
- › SoundMAGIC ES18 In-Ear Headphones (Black/Red) by OSiRiSsk
- › DUNU DN-2002 by Brooko
- › T-PEOS RASIEL by kimvictor
- › Westone ES 5 by Xu Tianyi
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by Aornic
- › Venture Electronics Asura 2.0 by Zelda
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Zen V2 by Zelda
- › Venture Electronics (VE) the Duke by Zelda
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...