or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The JVC HA-S500 thread. - Page 485

post #7261 of 8319

I would strongly recommend doing cork mod as per ES-700 thread on HA-S500's. There is no damping inside, cork makes the bass more controlled IMO.

 

post #7262 of 8319

Here are some pictures of the S500 with ATH WS55 pads, enjoy!

http://imgur.com/a/IbyQR


The opening of the pads (which you put onto the headphones) has roughly the same diameter as the stock pads. It was a bit difficult to put them on as they fit quite perfectly. The WS55 pads are a bit thinner in comparison to the stock pads.
It's a snug fit and they won't come off unless you intentionally want to remove them.

 

And to quote myself:

My ears are middle sized but they slide right into the pads when putting them on with only a small portion of my earlobes peeking out.
So they are practically circumaural now and very comfy to wear!
And as an added plus, the boomy (/overwhelming) bass is gone! Sound wise, it was my only gripe about these phones.


Lifted Andreas' first impressions of the WS55 pads:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-jvc-ha-s500-appreciation-fan-thread/6000#post_9383002

p.401 ff

 

-graureiher

post #7263 of 8319
Quote:
Originally Posted by graureiher View Post

Here are some pictures of the S500 with ATH WS55 pads, enjoy!

http://imgur.com/a/IbyQR

 

Nice job!

post #7264 of 8319

I know many people here don't like the stock pads, but i actually find them pretty good. They're only uncomfortable for the first 3-4 days or so. I've been wearing these for a lot now and my ears are getting used to them so no more comfort issues for me. L3000.gif

post #7265 of 8319
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonfuzed View Post

I know many people here don't like the stock pads, but i actually find them pretty good. They're only uncomfortable for the first 3-4 days or so. I've been wearing these for a lot now and my ears are getting used to them so no more comfort issues for me. L3000.gif

I have no problem with the stock pads either.

post #7266 of 8319
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

I have no problem with the stock pads either.

beerchug.gif

post #7267 of 8319

I finally got the S500 today.

 

One thing I noticed is that on bass heavy tracks, the headphones vibrate alot.  And the bass is all over the place.  Sounds very muddy/muffled.

 

Perhaps my the Bass EQ on the Poweramp app is a bit too high but, none of my IEM's seem to have issues with the Bass settings.

 

Any ideas?

post #7268 of 8319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swy05 View Post

I finally got the S500 today.

One thing I noticed is that on bass heavy tracks, the headphones vibrate alot.  And the bass is all over the place.  Sounds very muddy/muffled.

Perhaps my the Bass EQ on the Poweramp app is a bit too high but, none of my IEM's seem to have issues with the Bass settings.

Any ideas?

I had the same issue when I got them. Give them some time to burn in, they'll get a lot better.
post #7269 of 8319
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonfuzed View Post

I know many people here don't like the stock pads, but i actually find them pretty good. They're only uncomfortable for the first 3-4 days or so. I've been wearing these for a lot now and my ears are getting used to them so no more comfort issues for me. L3000.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

I have no problem with the stock pads either.

 

Same here.

post #7270 of 8319

Yeah, stock pads all the way. 

post #7271 of 8319

I wish my S500s had as much bass as everyone else's seem to have. They don't vibrate almost at all unless it has SUPER heavy bass in the mixing or if I over EQ the sub bass. I like that vibration feeling, but I don't like over mixing the bass to achieve it.

 

I love the stock pads myself. I have the HM5 pads and the velours, but they just don't have as good of a sound. I really am curious about the WS55 pads though...

post #7272 of 8319
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7S Cameron View Post

I wish my S500s had as much bass as everyone else's seem to have. They don't vibrate almost at all unless it has SUPER heavy bass in the mixing or if I over EQ the sub bass. I like that vibration feeling, but I don't like over mixing the bass to achieve it.

 

I love the stock pads myself. I have the HM5 pads and the velours, but they just don't have as good of a sound. I really am curious about the WS55 pads though...

I have never noticed mine vibrating from the bass. Makes me wonder how loud everyone is listening.basshead.gif

 

I agree with you on the velours, they are a slight step down in sound, even if they are a little more comfortable. I never tried the WS55 pads on my S500 before I traded them away....but I liked the S500 sound better than the WS55 and they were half the price of the WS55, so I have no regrets on making the trade.

post #7273 of 8319

Well, it vibrates from the sub-bass, so it kinda depends on what kind of music your listening to. It also heavily depends on how loud you're listening to. The s500 even paired with a cheap amp like e11 with its bass boost on 1 and pumping the volume can give you a pretty good vibration on some tracks.

post #7274 of 8319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swy05 View Post

I finally got the S500 today.

 

One thing I noticed is that on bass heavy tracks, the headphones vibrate alot.  And the bass is all over the place.  Sounds very muddy/muffled.

 

Perhaps my the Bass EQ on the Poweramp app is a bit too high but, none of my IEM's seem to have issues with the Bass settings.

 

Any ideas?

look few posts up for the cork mod. Much more controlled bass after the mod

post #7275 of 8319
I think the powerful bass stems from a) the distance of the drivers to the ears [thick pads] and b) the 'tunnel-like' properties of the stock pads, which are placed on the ears and thus creating a sound box / resonating body.

I got the S500 just a couple of days ago and have been listening to them without burn-in with stock pads (on ear, very boomy) and then switched to WS55 pads (semi /over ear, with a good seal around the ears; punchy and more balanced bass). The bass is still the same but more... balanced and evenly distributed, as my ears are in the pads and closer to the drivers.

The sound designers at JVC knew what they where doing when they designed the stock ear pads.
At a 3000 Yen (30$) price point they were most definitely catering to the young, casual crowd in Japan listening to pop and hip hop.
I often see high schoolers and young people in their 20's wearing either these or JVC XX bass phones (red cables).

-graureiher
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: