I too wondered about angling the drivers a little bit. The first time I took them out to put a little duct tape inside the cups I didn't get the cable all the way out of the way when I started putting the screws back in. I quickly discovered what was holding me up but the idea popped into my head to maybe try doing it on purpose to angle the driver a tiny bit and see how it sounded. Anyone tried this?
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/19/12
- productJVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black (Japanese Import)tagged by System, 8/19/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses. Last post on 11/15/16 at 12:06am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Beating a dead horse... Need advice - DT770 80ohm vs. AT M50 Last post on 2/18/13 at 3:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- OVER-PERFORMING, OVER-ACHIEVING Headphones/IEMs for their price range. Top cost effective cans/IEMS Last post on 7/7/13 at 2:17am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- What is the best travel headphone for $20 Last post on 8/7/13 at 6:25pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Even at their current $89 price, I consider the Klipsch R6s an excellent value. They are fundamentally honest about what you put into them. Although they reveal a great deal about each recording,...
With my head laid back, eyes closed, and feet tapping to the beat, I can’t help but be thankful for some of the audio equipment that I have. Thankfully, Justin Weber, owner of Ampsandsound,...
Acknowledgment It’s always a privilege to check out new gear in exchange for your honest opinion. Thanks, iFi, for letting me in on this particular party. I’ve been borrowing this unit...
Introduction I have recently had the good fortune to review 1More’s excellent Triple Driver 1001 In Ear Monitors and their MK802 Bluetooth full-sized headphone and was left extremely impressed...
As the rabbit hole of summit-fi in-ear monitors gets deeper and deeper, I find myself encountering the same issues over and over. Most of the high end multiple armature driver in-ear monitors in...
The JVC HA-S500 thread. - Page 316post #4726 of 83192/4/13 at 8:46pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4727 of 83192/4/13 at 9:29pmpost #4728 of 83192/4/13 at 10:11pm
I've got a little over 72 hours of burn on mine. The sound is superb right now. The harshness of the highs is pretty much gone. The bass is just out of this world.
I love how amazing the bass is. It's only there when it's called for, unlike other consumer headphones that have bass all the time and mess up songs that don't need overpowering bass.
Just used them all day today, give or take 8 hours at work, then another hour at school while waiting for class. Very comfortable for me, with only a slight discomfort on the cartilage of my left ear after about 6 hours, but not overly painful.
My only problem is that isolation is rather poor compared to other closed headphones. I'm almost certain people in my office can hear my music at only about 40-45% volume on my iPhone, where I normally listen between 55-60%.
It's also kinda hard to get a good seal. Maybe it's just me, though. My ears seem to be at an awkward enough size to make these almost circumaural, where the pads only sit on the very top of my ear and on my earlobe, while the rest of my ears are nice and cozy inside.
Despite those issues, this is quite handily one of my very best purchases of anything this decade in terms of value for the money.post #4729 of 83192/4/13 at 10:11pm
Well, I'm set up and cans are burning in now. I listened at these high volumes for maybe 5min or so added up, to make sure I didn't hear any major distortion (which is a sign of stressing the drivers to the point of failure), and headache! haha. I shouldn't listen that loud, don't want to damage my hearing, but it was fun
Hopefully I'm not deaf in the morning ;)
I have a folded sheet over them (about as thick as my hand) to help block the sound but I still hear it. Oh well..
Now I just hope my computer doesn't fall asleep. I have my list of beats/electronic on continuous play. Night!post #4730 of 83192/5/13 at 12:17amI found it useful to stick a balked up pair of socks between the cups, fold them inward to make them compact and then used an elastic around the size adjuster area to keep them closed tightly. That kept sound from leaking quite nicely, but I also stuffed them in a big container with pillows and blankets to completely block sound. Then again, these were burning in in my bedroom and I wanted to sleep .post #4731 of 83192/5/13 at 10:08amQuote:Originally Posted by hatefulsandwich
I found it useful to stick a balked up pair of socks between the cups, fold them inward to make them compact and then used an elastic around the size adjuster area to keep them closed tightly. That kept sound from leaking quite nicely, but I also stuffed them in a big container with pillows and blankets to completely block sound. Then again, these were burning in in my bedroom and I wanted to sleep .
I was OK, I had them inside the folded sheet and put my sweatshirt on there too. Sometimes I could hear them before falling asleep but I slept through it.post #4732 of 83192/5/13 at 1:09pmSo any dudes here try the Internal resonance damping mods like me over at the s400 thread?
Whatsa matter, chicken?
Lol just kidding & mentioning in case any easily bored members here wanna try something new lol..post #4733 of 83192/5/13 at 1:41pmpost #4734 of 83192/5/13 at 7:37pmpost #4735 of 83192/5/13 at 7:58pm
Wow. Stick all the padding and tape you want on these babies...OR....order the ridiculously cheap ELE DAC. Just got mine today (after a 3 1/2 week wait from Hong Kong...but hey, free shipping-lol). I am seriously blown away. I've burned it in about 8 hours and it just keeps getting better. Resolution, sound stage, deep black background. If you don't try this you don't know what you're missing! 16 friggin' bucks for this little cheap looking piece of heaven.post #4736 of 83192/6/13 at 3:10amUnfortunately exactly what i worried happened: the bass is significantly reduced with HM5 pads over stock :/ the bass is what makes these cans fun for me. I'll try the tape mod now
Edit: Tape mod helps, but i wouldn't mind even more bass somebody got the ultimate basshead mod for me?
Edited by journeyy - 2/6/13 at 3:51ampost #4737 of 83192/6/13 at 5:22ampost #4738 of 83192/6/13 at 6:07amQuote:Originally Posted by shockdoc
<snip> OR....order the ridiculously cheap ELE DAC. Just got mine today (after a 3 1/2 week wait from Hong Kong...but hey, free shipping-lol). I am seriously blown away. I've burned it in about 8 hours and it just keeps getting better. Resolution, sound stage, deep black background. If you don't try this you don't know what you're missing! 16 friggin' bucks for this little cheap looking piece of heaven.
I'm going to take this comment with a grain of salt and wait till the honeymoon phase is over with ya.. Fell too often for comments like these, and members posting a more nuanced post after a few days/weeks after their first post. :P Saves me money you know.post #4739 of 83192/6/13 at 7:25amQuote:wow it looks similar to the muse dac,Originally Posted by shockdoc
Wow. Stick all the padding and tape you want on these babies...OR....order the ridiculously cheap ELE DAC. Just got mine today (after a 3 1/2 week wait from Hong Kong...but hey, free shipping-lol). I am seriously blown away. I've burned it in about 8 hours and it just keeps getting better. Resolution, sound stage, deep black background. If you don't try this you don't know what you're missing! 16 friggin' bucks for this little cheap looking piece of heaven.
Less featurws but more streamlined.
Anyone have comparison comments on these.post #4740 of 83192/6/13 at 7:35amQuote:Looks like the s500 has better conditions then & I suppose it may be the housing was initially designed for those bigger drivers in the s500 and the s400 driver is not totally optimal for the headphones.
Pretty impressive nonetheless.
Does anyone know if the s500 will ever hit the states?
The only good thing is that the Japanese yen keeps falling so price should fall on all Japanese headphones. .Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Caffeine addicts anonymous 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 2 minutes ago
- › Lavricables Pure Silver lightning (Chord Hugo/Mojo) interconnect ... 4 minutes ago
- › Tidal Lossless Streaming 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 5 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 5 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Trinity - Delta Hybrid Original 1st. Gen. earphones 7 minutes ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 7 minutes ago
- › Klipsch R6m Black In Ear Headphone by 1mctous
- › ampsandsound Kenzie Headphone Amplifier by Smazz
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD Black Label by glassmonkey
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by Peddler
- › iFi Audio iEMatch Headphone Travel Accessory by Hisoundfi
- › Soundaware Esther by ambchang
- › ZMF Headphones Eikon by Hisoundfi
- › HiFiMAN Edition S by Aornic
- › Accutone Taurus by mark2410
- › Remax RM 305M Aluminum Earbud by Redcarmoose
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear