- 482 Posts. Joined 11/2012
- Location: South Africa
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/19/12
- productJVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black (Japanese Import)tagged by System, 8/19/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses. Last post on 1/29/16 at 1:21pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Beating a dead horse... Need advice - DT770 80ohm vs. AT M50 Last post on 2/18/13 at 3:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- OVER-PERFORMING, OVER-ACHIEVING Headphones/IEMs for their price range. Top cost effective cans/IEMS Last post on 7/7/13 at 2:17am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- What is the best travel headphone for $20 Last post on 8/7/13 at 6:25pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
DISCLAIMER After my last pair of earphones broke, I did some research on the forums to find high praise for Edifier, much of which for the 185's. A bit of research showed that the company sought...
DISCLAIMER I am in no way associated with the SoundMAGIC company. I have bought ES18 myself and just expressing my honest opinion here. ABOUT ME I am a 25 years old music enthusiast...
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION I've had the pleasure of listening to most of DUNU Topsound's hybrid earphones (DN1000, 2000...
Read the full review here! http://www.head-fi.org/t/809194/review-t-peos-rasiel
The JVC HA-S500 thread. - Page 249post #3721 of 829812/13/12 at 3:26pmIn that pic,I think Cyloh had already sewed them up and stuffed them with cotton. That's one option that kind of mars the pads, so you might prefer the o-rings. You can avoid all the hassle by doing pad-on-pad, but I've got to say it sounded thin to me like that. I'm evidently the odd one out with this opinion. No harm in just giving it a go.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3722 of 829812/13/12 at 5:04pmpost #3723 of 829812/13/12 at 8:29pm
When using the o rings and the HM5 pads, are there any other things I need to do? I'd like to avoid too much extra modding because I'm not much of a DIY, but a good sound is still important to me.post #3724 of 829812/13/12 at 8:36pmQuote:
LoL i still don't exactly how that o-ring thing works on these HM5 pads, do you put in on the inside the ear cup area or do you use it to on the lip area of the pads to tighten the seal??? I need pics to visual it. haha C'mon someone with these mod/ combo post some pics please.post #3725 of 829812/13/12 at 9:03pmQuote:Originally Posted by hatefulsandwich
In that pic,I think Cyloh had already sewed them up and stuffed them with cotton. That's one option that kind of mars the pads, so you might prefer the o-rings. You can avoid all the hassle by doing pad-on-pad, but I've got to say it sounded thin to me like that. I'm evidently the odd one out with this opinion. No harm in just giving it a go.
You're right to say they sounded thin as is, without pad-on-pad. But try eric clapton's unplugged or dark side of the moon. Soundstage and imaging heaven for me.Quote:
Either way. Go ahead, mix and match to find your preferred sound.post #3726 of 829812/13/12 at 11:13pmQuote:Originally Posted by sfwalcer
LoL i still don't exactly how that o-ring thing works on these HM5 pads, do you put in on the inside the ear cup area or do you use it to on the lip area of the pads to tighten the seal??? I need pics to visual it. haha C'mon someone with these mod/ combo post some pics please.
He mentioned in an earlier post that you put it in the groove/lip where the pads go. So I understand that part I just wanna make sure it will have a good sound if that's all I do.post #3727 of 829812/14/12 at 5:12ampost #3728 of 829812/14/12 at 6:01am
IMHO the HM5 sounds boring, off, artificial, muted, and boring (twice)... with the AKG550 (for different reasons) my least favorite headphone.
S500 are far more enjoyable; have one of the best bass that I have heard and, although it's tonality isn't very natural,l I find them extremely fun and perfect as portable headphone to be used in less than perfect listening conditions.
Uuupsss, you meant the HM3... heard them once, nice sound, didn’t impress me as much as the JVCs.
Edited by andkoppel - 12/14/12 at 6:03ampost #3729 of 829812/14/12 at 7:56amQuote:
you can tape up the ports for more bass if you havent already done so
easy to dopost #3730 of 829812/14/12 at 9:14pmpost #3731 of 829812/14/12 at 9:17pmQuote:
im not too experienced but didnt sound congested to me
go back the original stock pad bass amount
others in this thread have done it and for the most part, its just bass quantity affectedpost #3732 of 829812/15/12 at 1:42amQuote:
I'm using a old SR80, bass kind of boomy when play trance.fm. Still waiting for my S500 to arrive.post #3733 of 829812/15/12 at 2:42amS500 arrived today. Got some sennheiser hd 25 blue pads on with an effort. these are very tight, very balanced from what I can tell (only 15 mins on them) can't believe the price . prefer these I've my old CALS and V-80's based on first impressions.
Clamping is spot on for me, Not hd 25 Clamping but not as loose as V-80' s.post #3734 of 829812/15/12 at 4:12amQuote:Originally Posted by vsls
Of course not, but I didn't consider myself as a basshead and that's strange!
Also I was expecting the stock pads to be way uncomfortable or unbearable judging by everyone's posts here. So far I really enjoy them and I like that they are a bit stiff and not so cushion-like. Probably I won't try the ATH pleather mod. The HM5 of course seems still promising!
Everyone says ATH pleathers are mory comfy than the stock pads, they also open up the sound stage a bit.post #3735 of 829812/15/12 at 6:23amPersonally i find the stock pads more comfortable than ath pads but the sound is definitely more open with the ath. I'm using the pads of my esw9 and i must have small ears as my whole ear fits in the pad.
I will probably pick up some senn pads to compare as well.
Currently i am at my inlaws but i left the s500s at home plugged into selections from the alan parsons soundcheck cd, drum and bass volume 9 and the tron soundtrack.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 25 seconds ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 1 minute ago
- › HE-400i, HD700s, Audeze EL-8, or Beyerdynamic T1/T90 1 minute ago
- › For 6BL7 tube users 1 minute ago
- › LG Quadbeat 3 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › No more 3.5mm jack and DAC in headphones, will audio quality... 2 minutes ago
- › Shanling M5 Impressions & Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Official 2016 SF Head-Fi Meet, July 16, 2016, Wikia HQ 3 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 3 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Edifier P185 Headphones Hi-Fi Classic Earbud Style Earphones With... by flamerz
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by TravAndAlex
- › SoundMAGIC ES18 In-Ear Headphones (Black/Red) by OSiRiSsk
- › DUNU DN-2002 by Brooko
- › T-PEOS RASIEL by kimvictor
- › Westone ES 5 by Xu Tianyi
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by Aornic
- › Venture Electronics Asura 2.0 by Zelda
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Zen V2 by Zelda
- › Venture Electronics (VE) the Duke by Zelda
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...