- 7,534 Posts. Joined 12/2008
- Location: Canada
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/19/12
- productJVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black (Japanese Import)tagged by System, 8/19/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses. Last post on 11/15/16 at 12:06am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Beating a dead horse... Need advice - DT770 80ohm vs. AT M50 Last post on 2/18/13 at 3:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- OVER-PERFORMING, OVER-ACHIEVING Headphones/IEMs for their price range. Top cost effective cans/IEMS Last post on 7/7/13 at 2:17am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- What is the best travel headphone for $20 Last post on 8/7/13 at 6:25pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Picture are default 1200 x 800 resolution - click to view larger images.INTRODUCTIONThis one came out of the blue. A company I'd never heard of, and an IEM I didn't know existed. The inquiry was...
[[SPOILER]] Introduction:The device was lent to me as part of FiiO's review tour. I was given 10 days with the device to evaluate it and in return give my honest opinion about it. My current...
At the time this review was written, the iFi Pro iCan was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here are some links for purchase and...
JOMO PLB (Pretty Little Beast) IEM Review - Expatinjapan `Oh you pretty things` - David Bowie Jomo Audio PLB, Opus#3 Dap and Double Helix Cable. JOMO PLB (Pretty little...
In the present state of portable audio markets, with one-upmanship of driver counts (and prices) fast becoming the norm, Campfire Audio has blazed its own path by offering immaculately crafted,...
The JVC HA-S500 thread. - Page 3post #31 of 83268/2/12 at 3:51pmHow does the midrange compare to the FXD80, is it the same positionaly or more forward? Is the bass significantly more in your face or just has more presence and feel to it when required, again as compared to the FXD80?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 83268/2/12 at 3:54pmThread Starter
Bad news. So I tried some pads.The only ones that will fit on these will be others in their size. the AKG 518 and Denon D500 for example but those have the same type of pads that are on these so kinda pointless. I tried Cals. Too big. I tried the velour pads that was on my Pioneer Se MJ5s but they are just a tad bigger.
50mm driver pads are too big
From Left to right. HA-S500, Pioneer Se Mj5, HTF600. Unfortunately both these as others I tried don't fit. Gonna have to look online.post #33 of 83268/2/12 at 4:05pmThread StarterQuote:
The mids are bit more forward in the sound. The sub bass has full presence when called for but don't get in the way at all. Very controlled sound on these headphones. I am certain the same sound team that was responsible for the FXD earphones did these headphones as well. These don't have the imagery down like the FXD80 but comes close..The sounds on these have more depth than the FXD80 I assume because of the bigger full sized 40mm drivers in a closed design. Because these are closed these lack the air that is on the FXD80 but make up for it with a nice lush mid section that people will love. The bass end is tame much like the FXD80 is when the tracks have no bass end to them. The bass end is more headphone than earphone that is certain. So much more presence but again only if the track has it in the recording.
Edited by Dsnuts - 8/2/12 at 4:06pmpost #34 of 83268/2/12 at 4:29pmpost #35 of 83268/2/12 at 4:39pmThread Starter
You know I can understand why guys would not want on ear headphones but these barely clamp, fit snug, isolate well, but most importantly they sound amazing. Portability wise these have it. Perfect for short to long trips..Nice to have some variety in the way I get my sounds. Thats just me I suppose.. It is too bad JVC don't make a full sized using these drivers. A full sized 50 mm driver version using Carbon Nanotubes.? I want.post #36 of 83268/2/12 at 4:41pm
Their Carbon Nanotube gameplan is ...
- cheap IEM
- cheap portable headphone
- medium-priced full-size headphone
- expensive speaker/s
^^post #37 of 83268/2/12 at 4:41pm
I think i might be waiting for these to hit our shelves... I'm not entirely sure about pricing.
I'm not sure if i like that they're on-ear or not, they look like the fit/seal would be a little to awkward, like half on half off. they certainly look pretty darn cool.
I do find the carbon nanotube full size drivers intriguing for sure, especially with how you described the sound signature.
Edited by dnullify - 8/2/12 at 4:43pmpost #38 of 83268/2/12 at 4:44pm
TF10s have been surpassed yes, long time ago, even at their 100$ sale price. It's just too flawed both mechanically and sonically to withstand time.
M50s are classics though, for the price, there's little to fault. Time will tell just how these fare rather than initial thoughts.post #39 of 83268/2/12 at 4:47pmpost #40 of 83268/2/12 at 4:48pm
Yeah I was hyping a bit there, however I'm happy about the price versus technology featured here nonetheless. This could be a case of new-toy-effect, I don't think the FXD80 is though.post #41 of 83268/2/12 at 4:52pm
Hyping is inevitable for newer products, I've come to terms with that. Doesn't mean the hyped product is bad though, just that it's solidity may be overblown.
About the 80s..
It seems to be a solid, exiting product, but not a game-changer by any means. I've been hearing complains about the 80s from knowing users via PMs not sure why those users don't post though, perhaps they are going to in the future.
Anyway, let the discussion of these continue.
Edited by Inks - 8/2/12 at 4:56pmpost #42 of 83268/2/12 at 5:00pmThread Starter
No my friend you didn't. These are fantastic. Just awesome sauce at a very nice price as well..I can only imagine how they will sound with the full burn in happening. Will report back with more impressions but if these are how they sound on open box. Oh lordy. Lol!.
@Inks ya there is no such thing as perfect earphones for everyone. There will always be issues, be it sound or fit for some and not others. It will just come down to what one accepts as a good sound for them and what isn't. Preference aside all the new products from JVC this year has stepped up huge.. All of their new stuff are too awesome and pull much more quality for the price payed..I just hope others step up to what JVC has done this year.
It just amazing to see every single one of their product shine.post #43 of 83268/2/12 at 5:01pmpost #44 of 83268/2/12 at 5:02pm
Of course there's no perfect headphone, that wasn't implied. Still
I agree, the fact that JVC making a progress for themselves is a plus.
Edited by Inks - 8/2/12 at 5:04pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Another Mystery Headphone... Manta 7000 1 minute ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 1 minute ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 2 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing... 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (advanced wireless & microSD module for... 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones) 4 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Elemental Watson Class-A Valve/Mosfet Hybrid Headphone Amplifier... 5 minutes ago
- › New- Zishan Z1 DSD player thread 7 minutes ago
- › Aedle ODS-1 by Brooko
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by xkonfuzed
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Hisoundfi
- › Jomo Audio pretty Little beast by ExpatinJapan
- › Campfire Audio Jupiter by mrstrangeguy
- › Venture Electronics Asura 2.0 by SOULSIK
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by SOULSIK
- › Meze 99 Neo by dweaver
- › Meze 12 Classics by Bansaku
- › Rock Jaw Audio Resonate by ngoshawk
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear