- 1,137 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Location: Cyberjaya, Selangor, Malaysia
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/19/12
- productJVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black (Japanese Import)tagged by System, 8/19/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses. Last post on 11/15/16 at 12:06am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Beating a dead horse... Need advice - DT770 80ohm vs. AT M50 Last post on 2/18/13 at 3:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- OVER-PERFORMING, OVER-ACHIEVING Headphones/IEMs for their price range. Top cost effective cans/IEMS Last post on 7/7/13 at 2:17am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- What is the best travel headphone for $20 Last post on 8/7/13 at 6:25pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
DISCLAIMER The Empire Ears Zeus-R was purchased during my trip to the Empire Ears office at Buford, Georgia. The Empire Ears team have since moved their operations to their newer and larger...
When I first started looking for a pair of CIEMs, I was determined to find the best one in the $1000 region that would serve me equally well for everyday listening as well as stage use (I play in a...
Hi Head-Fi’ers! I’ve waited quite a bit long to use SuperMini and obtain its possible rival players at the same time (like Sony A15 and the new A35). I came across SuperMini a few months ago,...
Introduction Sennheiser HD800S is the successor to HD800 - one of the greatest headphones ever made. HD800 was the first headphone to actually WOW me hard...
Hello fellow head-fi members Welcome to the review of Advanced Evo X Sports Wireless In-ear Monitors. Disclaimer This were a sample provided by Advanced team for my review. I am not...
The JVC HA-S500 thread. - Page 168post #2506 of 832210/25/12 at 8:43amCute, your mods that you claim sound better than the W1000x is very intriguing. Can you post some pics of it? Its hard to pass up this glorious mod. I haven't compared a lot of headphones but currently I own a used Goldring DR150 with a custom Vero 150 cable tuned for the Goldring, and I must say the neutrality of it is gloooorious. I understand that the W1000x is a flagship model? If the flagship sounds better than my Goldring, and the padded S500 sounds better than the W1000x, my brains could explode.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2508 of 832210/25/12 at 11:12am[/SPOILER]Quote:
Not certain how much "smarter" uk customs are vs us customs but the "made in japan online stor" on amazon ships them with a neato little personal looking letter inside with a postcard calling you "friend" and all this crap....
The loophole worked for me I didn't have to pay a dime in the US even though my package sat in customs for no less than 5 days.
In other words they make it look like a gift and not a retail sale. I can't imagine everyone's customs is as loose as ours though. Besides if the US Goverment didn't allow us to send all of our hard earned cash to foreign soil, then they would'nt be able to borrow any more money and we might lose freinds.....
Edited by Doc-holliday - 10/25/12 at 11:14ampost #2509 of 832210/25/12 at 11:33amQuote:Originally Posted by cute
I discovered the S500/AT leather combo......and thought it was the best possible combo......until today! The AKG/Shure 840 pad combo on the S500 puts the S500/AT leather combo in the back seat, the AKG/Shure 840 combo gives me the comfort and sound of full size headphones.....besting the quality sound of my modded AT-W1000X!
Best mids and vocals I have heard to date!
How is the bass?post #2510 of 832210/25/12 at 11:47amQuote:Originally Posted by cute
I got a pair of Beyer DT250 pads from Sweetwater....they come with a piece that can be fitted behind the AGG pads on the cups of the S500/S400, put the 840 pads over.....I used that as a template.....complicated and $18, so not cheap, but worth it for me. Transforms the S500/S400 to comfortable, great sounding circumaural phones.....full size headphone soundstage/separation, balanced sound throughout, with glorious mids and vocals, others may not think it is worth the troube and cost, but I only paid $23.99 for the S500/S400....probably not for everyone but I am a fanatic!
If this works how I think it works, it's a ingenious idea cute!!!
The left 1st flat piece from the Beyer DT250 combo in the pic below goes onto back of the AKG pads of the S500/S400 and the shure 840 pads wraps over the AKG pads with that flat piece holding them in place. Nice, nice.
Edited by sfwalcer - 10/25/12 at 1:27pmpost #2511 of 832210/25/12 at 11:48ampost #2512 of 832210/25/12 at 11:52amQuote:
xD That made me laugh. The ultimate goal is audio nirvana right? So whatever gets us closer is the right thing to do ;) Also, a lot of people think that JVC could've done a better job with the stock pads. I haven't tried the ATH pleathers yet, but I definitely like the stock pads better than the velours.post #2513 of 832210/25/12 at 12:05pmQuote:
OUR LOVE for this cheapo IS the reason why we are spending so much time trying to get the best sound/ comfort out of this on-ear portable.
If it was junk we wouldn't even have bothered, all the effort we have put into it just goes to show how highly these are praised. But.........it is just all pad changes LoL, nothing major but gives you a whole new sound.
Well except for cute and those crazy transplanters, they are truly FANATICS and my love for these S500s are not worthy!!!
Edited by sfwalcer - 10/25/12 at 12:07pmpost #2514 of 832210/25/12 at 12:28pmQuote:
You know another highly praised headphone people are doing the same thing to? The M100, they're stuffing the pads too and if they could they would change the pads as well with all that talk about discomfort. Here's another one, Grado.
People do it because they can.
Edited by RoMee - 10/25/12 at 12:30pmpost #2515 of 832210/25/12 at 12:32pmQuote:
You should take a look at the Koss DJ100 thread.
I've only made one pad switch....from stock to HD25 velour, and that was just to eliminate sweaty ears, not because I was unhappy with the sound.post #2516 of 832210/25/12 at 12:54pmQuote:
I am not really paying attention to the M100 mods since it's a pre-production product that's in the wild right now. We'll see what happens with the production unti that I pre-ordered when it arrives in a month or two.
I still want to try these, but don't know if I want to bother with eBay and importing them. Hmmm...
And yeah, totally understand this place. Modding and changing things is the way it is. No argument there, I just thought it was funny.post #2517 of 832210/25/12 at 1:07pm
What i thought was funny was how much of a reaction there was to your comment.post #2518 of 832210/25/12 at 1:23pmQuote:Originally Posted by unkle
After several tests with different pads (HD25 velour, HD25 pleather, ATH velour, ATH pleather) I came to the conclusion that the best sound to me comes out with the ATH pleather.
More confortable to my ears with good isolation. Balanced sound and more open soundstage. Pure bliss!
My only regret is having left the JVCHD25PP club,
Where can one get the ATH pleather from? Link?
BTW, are the S500 a bass-head can in your opinion?post #2519 of 832210/25/12 at 1:24pmQuote:
Everyone got their ATH Pleathers on ebay from this guy.
And no these are not BASS head cans per se, but bass is more than suffice for modern types of music, I listen to lots of hip hop and the bass is more than enough for me.
Edited by sfwalcer - 10/25/12 at 1:32pmpost #2520 of 832210/25/12 at 1:30pmQuote:
One of the many features of these forum is to educate noobs.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Suggestions for Reinforcing - or Recabling - HiFiMan RE-400 IEMs 1 minute ago
- › Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › New Inear Prophile-8 1 minute ago
- › High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and... 1 minute ago
- › Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear - Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX200 Firmware Modification Project 3 minutes ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 5 minutes ago
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Cosmic Ears CE6P by fluffyberry
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by tenedosian
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Dobrescu George
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by gprs007
- › Westone W80 Eight-Driver System with Dual Bass, Dual Mid, and Quad... by Koolpep
- › JDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifier by SoundApprentice
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by glassmonkey
- › JDS Labs OL DAC by SoundApprentice
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear