- 1,083 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Location: Cyberjaya, Selangor, Malaysia
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/19/12
- productJVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black (Japanese Import)tagged by System, 8/19/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses. Last post on 11/15/16 at 12:06am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Beating a dead horse... Need advice - DT770 80ohm vs. AT M50 Last post on 2/18/13 at 3:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- OVER-PERFORMING, OVER-ACHIEVING Headphones/IEMs for their price range. Top cost effective cans/IEMS Last post on 7/7/13 at 2:17am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- What is the best travel headphone for $20 Last post on 8/7/13 at 6:25pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
SPECS: Driver Type 8mm Dynamic Plug Type 3.5mm Gold-plated Cord Length 1.3m Y Frequency Response 12 Hz – 22...
1MORE Capsule Dual-Driver In-Ear Headphones Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to 1MORE UK for the review sample. Full review...
Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM Earphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Massdrop for the loaner. Full review...
I was an early adopter of the original hifiman he-1000 (part of the original beta group). At the end of the beta period I elected to keep the product and it was replaced with the newest and latest...
Bluedio Victory Bluetooth and Optical Headphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Bluedio for the sample. Full review...
The JVC HA-S500 thread. - Page 168post #2506 of 831910/25/12 at 8:43amCute, your mods that you claim sound better than the W1000x is very intriguing. Can you post some pics of it? Its hard to pass up this glorious mod. I haven't compared a lot of headphones but currently I own a used Goldring DR150 with a custom Vero 150 cable tuned for the Goldring, and I must say the neutrality of it is gloooorious. I understand that the W1000x is a flagship model? If the flagship sounds better than my Goldring, and the padded S500 sounds better than the W1000x, my brains could explode.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2508 of 831910/25/12 at 11:12am[/SPOILER]Quote:
Not certain how much "smarter" uk customs are vs us customs but the "made in japan online stor" on amazon ships them with a neato little personal looking letter inside with a postcard calling you "friend" and all this crap....
The loophole worked for me I didn't have to pay a dime in the US even though my package sat in customs for no less than 5 days.
In other words they make it look like a gift and not a retail sale. I can't imagine everyone's customs is as loose as ours though. Besides if the US Goverment didn't allow us to send all of our hard earned cash to foreign soil, then they would'nt be able to borrow any more money and we might lose freinds.....
Edited by Doc-holliday - 10/25/12 at 11:14ampost #2509 of 831910/25/12 at 11:33amQuote:Originally Posted by cute
I discovered the S500/AT leather combo......and thought it was the best possible combo......until today! The AKG/Shure 840 pad combo on the S500 puts the S500/AT leather combo in the back seat, the AKG/Shure 840 combo gives me the comfort and sound of full size headphones.....besting the quality sound of my modded AT-W1000X!
Best mids and vocals I have heard to date!
How is the bass?post #2510 of 831910/25/12 at 11:47amQuote:Originally Posted by cute
I got a pair of Beyer DT250 pads from Sweetwater....they come with a piece that can be fitted behind the AGG pads on the cups of the S500/S400, put the 840 pads over.....I used that as a template.....complicated and $18, so not cheap, but worth it for me. Transforms the S500/S400 to comfortable, great sounding circumaural phones.....full size headphone soundstage/separation, balanced sound throughout, with glorious mids and vocals, others may not think it is worth the troube and cost, but I only paid $23.99 for the S500/S400....probably not for everyone but I am a fanatic!
If this works how I think it works, it's a ingenious idea cute!!!
The left 1st flat piece from the Beyer DT250 combo in the pic below goes onto back of the AKG pads of the S500/S400 and the shure 840 pads wraps over the AKG pads with that flat piece holding them in place. Nice, nice.
Edited by sfwalcer - 10/25/12 at 1:27pmpost #2511 of 831910/25/12 at 11:48ampost #2512 of 831910/25/12 at 11:52amQuote:
xD That made me laugh. The ultimate goal is audio nirvana right? So whatever gets us closer is the right thing to do ;) Also, a lot of people think that JVC could've done a better job with the stock pads. I haven't tried the ATH pleathers yet, but I definitely like the stock pads better than the velours.post #2513 of 831910/25/12 at 12:05pmQuote:
OUR LOVE for this cheapo IS the reason why we are spending so much time trying to get the best sound/ comfort out of this on-ear portable.
If it was junk we wouldn't even have bothered, all the effort we have put into it just goes to show how highly these are praised. But.........it is just all pad changes LoL, nothing major but gives you a whole new sound.
Well except for cute and those crazy transplanters, they are truly FANATICS and my love for these S500s are not worthy!!!
Edited by sfwalcer - 10/25/12 at 12:07pmpost #2514 of 831910/25/12 at 12:28pmQuote:
You know another highly praised headphone people are doing the same thing to? The M100, they're stuffing the pads too and if they could they would change the pads as well with all that talk about discomfort. Here's another one, Grado.
People do it because they can.
Edited by RoMee - 10/25/12 at 12:30pmpost #2515 of 831910/25/12 at 12:32pmQuote:
You should take a look at the Koss DJ100 thread.
I've only made one pad switch....from stock to HD25 velour, and that was just to eliminate sweaty ears, not because I was unhappy with the sound.post #2516 of 831910/25/12 at 12:54pmQuote:
I am not really paying attention to the M100 mods since it's a pre-production product that's in the wild right now. We'll see what happens with the production unti that I pre-ordered when it arrives in a month or two.
I still want to try these, but don't know if I want to bother with eBay and importing them. Hmmm...
And yeah, totally understand this place. Modding and changing things is the way it is. No argument there, I just thought it was funny.post #2517 of 831910/25/12 at 1:07pm
What i thought was funny was how much of a reaction there was to your comment.post #2518 of 831910/25/12 at 1:23pmQuote:Originally Posted by unkle
After several tests with different pads (HD25 velour, HD25 pleather, ATH velour, ATH pleather) I came to the conclusion that the best sound to me comes out with the ATH pleather.
More confortable to my ears with good isolation. Balanced sound and more open soundstage. Pure bliss!
My only regret is having left the JVCHD25PP club,
Where can one get the ATH pleather from? Link?
BTW, are the S500 a bass-head can in your opinion?post #2519 of 831910/25/12 at 1:24pmQuote:
Everyone got their ATH Pleathers on ebay from this guy.
And no these are not BASS head cans per se, but bass is more than suffice for modern types of music, I listen to lots of hip hop and the bass is more than enough for me.
Edited by sfwalcer - 10/25/12 at 1:32pmpost #2520 of 831910/25/12 at 1:30pmQuote:
One of the many features of these forum is to educate noobs.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Headphone suggestions for my office. 1 minute ago
- › Sony XBA-300 Impressions & Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 1 minute ago
- › Fostex TH900 MkII 3 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 5 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 6 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 6 minutes ago
- › Singxer SU-1 : BLACK -USB Digital to Digital Convertor 7 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by NA Blur
- › 1MORE Capsule Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone... by mark2410
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by mark2410
- › HIFIMAN HE1000 V2 Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphone by MattTCG
- › Bluedio V (Victory) Pro Patented PPS12 Drivers Wireless Bluetooth... by mark2410
- › Effect Audio - Thor Silver II by Falconlistener
- › Edifier R2000DB Powered Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Near-Field... by ryanjsoo
- › Yamaha MusicCast WX-010 Wireless Speaker (White) by mark2410
- › Questyle Q192 DAC with Headphone Amplifier silver by noobandroid
- › Meze 11 Neo by B9Scrambler
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear