- 2,220 Posts. Joined 7/2012
- Location: The O.K. Corral
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/19/12
- productJVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black (Japanese Import)tagged by System, 8/19/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses. Last post on 11/15/16 at 12:06am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Beating a dead horse... Need advice - DT770 80ohm vs. AT M50 Last post on 2/18/13 at 3:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- OVER-PERFORMING, OVER-ACHIEVING Headphones/IEMs for their price range. Top cost effective cans/IEMS Last post on 7/7/13 at 2:17am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- What is the best travel headphone for $20 Last post on 8/7/13 at 6:25pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction – The X5 is perhaps the quintessential Fiio player, it was one of their first devices and also one of their most universally acclaimed. Fiio have come far since the unveiling of the...
Introduction FiiO X5-2 is the second generation of X5 DAPs (digital audio players) from FiiO. I owned a FiiO X5 for quite a while before buying X5-2 and I was...
Brainwavz is a company that should be well known by now to anyone who's familiar with Head-Fi. Known for their excellent build quality and reasonable prices, Brainwavz should always be on your...
Introduction I have been an enthusiastic headphone user for many MANY years now. My first set of serious headphones were the open-backed Sennheiser HD400 headphones. From what I remember about...
Introduction: From the company that brought you the N5 and N6 sources comes the Cayin i5. The i5 is their entry into the very competitve mid priced DAP market. Cayin also has other lines of...
The JVC HA-S500 thread. - Page 150post #2236 of 832210/12/12 at 9:51amBTW for anyone still looking to get a clip. I signed up for email for Ratshack the other day. They sent me a 10 dollar off coupon from 40 bucks. Gunna pick up a clip zip. 30 dollars new with coupon.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2237 of 832210/12/12 at 10:15am
I got mine today. They shipped on the 8th, so four days transit time from Tokyo, not bad. Anyway, they seem to have a pretty pronounced resonance around 100 Hz. I haven't read this whole thread, but does anyone else hear this? Otherwise they're very nice, but I hope there's a way to tame the hump.post #2238 of 832210/12/12 at 12:19pm
wow.. bought a clip+ monday and got it today, that was FAST (i live in central america).
got a question, do you guys think that buying one of those RadioSlot cards is a good deal?
post #2239 of 832210/12/12 at 12:47pmQuote:
No. Those cards are DRM'ed, so it may not play if you Rockbox.post #2240 of 832210/12/12 at 1:44pmQuote:
Very true. When buying my zip, the big decision was "white, that I don't typically go for but which will be easier to find" or "black, which I like, but which I will probably lose". Yes, I will probably be losing mine eventually!
Rickdohc: good luck in your hunt. It's not good to be without your clip!post #2241 of 832210/12/12 at 1:47pmpost #2242 of 832210/12/12 at 7:05pmpost #2243 of 832210/12/12 at 9:42pmQuote:Originally Posted by rickdohc
These should not be under your radar, they should over your head man. I am telling you, if you think your SG2 / ksc75 sounds good be prepared to be blown away with this things.
Think, KSC75 with a big beatiful subbass that hits low, fast, clean and detalied. Mids more foward, more sparcle without sounding to treble heavy, details you will never hear froma a koss, man i am telling you, these murders the ksc75 no mercy.
Keepmthe ksc75 for the price/sound ratio, for 15 bucks its one of the best buys out there, but if you want something WAY better, S500.
For the price, these things are outstanding... Hard no to sound like a jvcfanboy.. But whe all know that whe are not crazy cause whe know how good this things sound.
I finally got them on my head and yup, they are rather awesome. The first thing that hits you is the sub-bass - amazing - you're just enveloped in the beautiful stuff.
I am a-b-c'ing them with my almighty modded ks75's and my px100-ii's. I'll let you know which one wins :)post #2244 of 832210/12/12 at 10:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by audiomagnate
I got mine today. They shipped on the 8th, so four days transit time from Tokyo, not bad. Anyway, they seem to have a pretty pronounced resonance around 100 Hz. I haven't read this whole thread, but does anyone else hear this? Otherwise they're very nice, but I hope there's a way to tame the hump.
They are HORRIBLE new out of box. That 100 Hz or so resonance new out of box will go away - with LONG and HARD burn in. It gets completely OK in the end, just give them time - lots of it, but at very least say 50 hours - preferably couple hundreds of hours.
If HA-S500 will not coinvience you that effects of burn in are not real, nothing ever will.post #2245 of 832210/12/12 at 10:45pmThread Starter
Now burn in begins. I was thinking just now based on how long it took for the FX40 to actually burn in to their full potential. It does take around 200 hours plus of burn in for the FX40 and based on everyone's results of burn in on these headphones. I think everyone agrees there is not too much different about the sounds after a longer burn in on the HA-S500. Maybe some tighter sounds. Lesser bass and some added smoothness.
Carbon nanotubes being 20X stronger than steel and related to diamonds. I wonder if it really take a crazy amount of aggressive burn in time for these to really show their full potential. I started burning them in again. This time at 85% max volume. The HA-S500 being approximately 4X bigger than the FX40 drivers. Does that mean we need 4X more burn in? Before you guys think I am nuts for suggesting this but. What if I am right.?
That means even if you don't believe in burn in. You need to set up a burn in station and throw them headphones on there whenever you can..Keep em on the burn in. I am not joking when I say these might need 1K hours for full potential and aggressive volumes. If anything. We have nothing to loose from burn in overkill on these drivers..I have over 600 hours or so on my pair.. It is crazy to think i am only half way there? Lol.
Edited by Dsnuts - 10/12/12 at 10:50pmpost #2246 of 832210/13/12 at 2:03ampost #2247 of 832210/13/12 at 6:38am
(The Trammps - "Burn baby burn")
200 hours of burnin an so on...Quote:Originally Posted by Dsnuts
Keep em on the burn in. I am not joking when I say these might need 1K hours for full potential and aggressive volumes. If anything. We have nothing to loose from burn in overkill on these drivers..I have over 600 hours or so on my pair.. It is crazy to think i am only half way there? Lol.
Edited by unkle - 10/13/12 at 7:44ampost #2249 of 832210/13/12 at 7:39ampost #2250 of 832210/13/12 at 7:58amQuote:
I'm not Dsnuts, but since I own the s500 and the mdr-zx701 (same as 700 but with mic/iphone controls) I'll chime in briefly. In short, the Sony is MUCH more comfortable and sounds very good, but the S500 sound quality is better. More definition, more bass punch. The Sony sounds more recessed to me. But if I need to listen for a long time, the Sony's win out, especially with the 8400 pads I put on them.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Has anyone received a replacement unit in the US? 16 seconds ago
- › Lotoo's new product: Lotoo Paw Pico, a 27g ultra-portable music... 1 minute ago
- › Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM... 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here. 3 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 3 minutes ago
- › Classical Contemporary Music Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 5 minutes ago
- › Prog rock 6 minutes ago
- › MQA: Revolutionary British streaming technology 7 minutes ago
- › Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones -... 7 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Brainwavz B150 by crabdog
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by Peddler
- › Cayin i5 by subguy812
- › Lotoo Paw Pico by twister6
- › Shanling UP Portable DAC/Headphone Amplifier AMP ES9018K2M+MAX97... by ngoshawk
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by rafaelpernil
- › PureSounds PS100-600 by BloodyPenguin
- › Schiit Audio Vali 2 by DeeKay10
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear