- 2,220 Posts. Joined 7/2012
- Location: The O.K. Corral
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/19/12
- productJVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black (Japanese Import)tagged by System, 8/19/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses. Last post on 1/29/16 at 1:21pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Beating a dead horse... Need advice - DT770 80ohm vs. AT M50 Last post on 2/18/13 at 3:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- OVER-PERFORMING, OVER-ACHIEVING Headphones/IEMs for their price range. Top cost effective cans/IEMS Last post on 7/7/13 at 2:17am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- What is the best travel headphone for $20 Last post on 8/7/13 at 6:25pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Nobody said HiFi was cheap, spending $200 dollars on HiFi doesn't get you very far these days. The AudioQuest DragonFly RED is one of those rare exceptions, I think it's the best value on the...
Preamble: A group of engineers and designers has worked as OEM developers and producers for audio products, acting in the background, until 2012, when they decided to found a...
EDIFIER M710 On-ear headphones This is the third Edifier headphones I review and it conclude a very pleasant travel in Edifier Sound world. I discover that a brand mostly know for his...
I would like to Thank Venture Electronics (VE) and Lee @zhibli06 for providing me with review samples of Monk+, Asura 2.0, and Zen 2.0 in exchange for my honest opinion. The manufacturer...
The JVC HA-S500 thread. - Page 150post #2236 of 829810/12/12 at 9:51amBTW for anyone still looking to get a clip. I signed up for email for Ratshack the other day. They sent me a 10 dollar off coupon from 40 bucks. Gunna pick up a clip zip. 30 dollars new with coupon.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2237 of 829810/12/12 at 10:15am
I got mine today. They shipped on the 8th, so four days transit time from Tokyo, not bad. Anyway, they seem to have a pretty pronounced resonance around 100 Hz. I haven't read this whole thread, but does anyone else hear this? Otherwise they're very nice, but I hope there's a way to tame the hump.post #2238 of 829810/12/12 at 12:19pm
wow.. bought a clip+ monday and got it today, that was FAST (i live in central america).
got a question, do you guys think that buying one of those RadioSlot cards is a good deal?
post #2239 of 829810/12/12 at 12:47pmQuote:
No. Those cards are DRM'ed, so it may not play if you Rockbox.post #2240 of 829810/12/12 at 1:44pmQuote:
Very true. When buying my zip, the big decision was "white, that I don't typically go for but which will be easier to find" or "black, which I like, but which I will probably lose". Yes, I will probably be losing mine eventually!
Rickdohc: good luck in your hunt. It's not good to be without your clip!post #2241 of 829810/12/12 at 1:47pmpost #2242 of 829810/12/12 at 7:05pmpost #2243 of 829810/12/12 at 9:42pmQuote:Originally Posted by rickdohc
These should not be under your radar, they should over your head man. I am telling you, if you think your SG2 / ksc75 sounds good be prepared to be blown away with this things.
Think, KSC75 with a big beatiful subbass that hits low, fast, clean and detalied. Mids more foward, more sparcle without sounding to treble heavy, details you will never hear froma a koss, man i am telling you, these murders the ksc75 no mercy.
Keepmthe ksc75 for the price/sound ratio, for 15 bucks its one of the best buys out there, but if you want something WAY better, S500.
For the price, these things are outstanding... Hard no to sound like a jvcfanboy.. But whe all know that whe are not crazy cause whe know how good this things sound.
I finally got them on my head and yup, they are rather awesome. The first thing that hits you is the sub-bass - amazing - you're just enveloped in the beautiful stuff.
I am a-b-c'ing them with my almighty modded ks75's and my px100-ii's. I'll let you know which one wins :)post #2244 of 829810/12/12 at 10:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by audiomagnate
I got mine today. They shipped on the 8th, so four days transit time from Tokyo, not bad. Anyway, they seem to have a pretty pronounced resonance around 100 Hz. I haven't read this whole thread, but does anyone else hear this? Otherwise they're very nice, but I hope there's a way to tame the hump.
They are HORRIBLE new out of box. That 100 Hz or so resonance new out of box will go away - with LONG and HARD burn in. It gets completely OK in the end, just give them time - lots of it, but at very least say 50 hours - preferably couple hundreds of hours.
If HA-S500 will not coinvience you that effects of burn in are not real, nothing ever will.post #2245 of 829810/12/12 at 10:45pmThread Starter
Now burn in begins. I was thinking just now based on how long it took for the FX40 to actually burn in to their full potential. It does take around 200 hours plus of burn in for the FX40 and based on everyone's results of burn in on these headphones. I think everyone agrees there is not too much different about the sounds after a longer burn in on the HA-S500. Maybe some tighter sounds. Lesser bass and some added smoothness.
Carbon nanotubes being 20X stronger than steel and related to diamonds. I wonder if it really take a crazy amount of aggressive burn in time for these to really show their full potential. I started burning them in again. This time at 85% max volume. The HA-S500 being approximately 4X bigger than the FX40 drivers. Does that mean we need 4X more burn in? Before you guys think I am nuts for suggesting this but. What if I am right.?
That means even if you don't believe in burn in. You need to set up a burn in station and throw them headphones on there whenever you can..Keep em on the burn in. I am not joking when I say these might need 1K hours for full potential and aggressive volumes. If anything. We have nothing to loose from burn in overkill on these drivers..I have over 600 hours or so on my pair.. It is crazy to think i am only half way there? Lol.
Edited by Dsnuts - 10/12/12 at 10:50pmpost #2246 of 829810/13/12 at 2:03ampost #2247 of 829810/13/12 at 6:38am
(The Trammps - "Burn baby burn")
200 hours of burnin an so on...Quote:Originally Posted by Dsnuts
Keep em on the burn in. I am not joking when I say these might need 1K hours for full potential and aggressive volumes. If anything. We have nothing to loose from burn in overkill on these drivers..I have over 600 hours or so on my pair.. It is crazy to think i am only half way there? Lol.
Edited by unkle - 10/13/12 at 7:44ampost #2249 of 829810/13/12 at 7:39ampost #2250 of 829810/13/12 at 7:58amQuote:
I'm not Dsnuts, but since I own the s500 and the mdr-zx701 (same as 700 but with mic/iphone controls) I'll chime in briefly. In short, the Sony is MUCH more comfortable and sounds very good, but the S500 sound quality is better. More definition, more bass punch. The Sony sounds more recessed to me. But if I need to listen for a long time, the Sony's win out, especially with the 8400 pads I put on them.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Rank the Headphones that You Own. 38 seconds ago
- › New HTC 10--Audio Impressions 1 minute ago
- › NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S 1 minute ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 2 minutes ago
- › Echobox Finder X1 review/impressions/discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Comparisons: 30 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 2 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar... 3 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T90 :D 3 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK T5p (AKT5p) Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM (Now With 'New' 1Plus2.2!) Impressions... 3 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp by Stereocilia
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by HiFiChris
- › Edifier M710 On-Ear Headphones with Mic and Volume Control - Red by Nymphonomaniac
- › HIFIMAN Edition X Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphones by kendetamas
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by twister6
- › Tingo TC200 Earbuds by zhouharvey
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by WonWesleyChoi
- › AKG K712 Pro by WonWesleyChoi
- › Meze 99 Classics by FUYU
- › Zorloo ZuperDAC by Zelda
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse