Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread. - Page 516

post #7726 of 8148

I just got these today and i just tried them on right out the box. What i first realized is that the bass on these things are too overwhelming for me. i read that after a break in the bass starts to decrease which i hope it does. anyone else notice the overwhelming bass on these?

post #7727 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardnese View Post
 

I just got these today and i just tried them on right out the box. What i first realized is that the bass on these things are too overwhelming for me. i read that after a break in the bass starts to decrease which i hope it does. anyone else notice the overwhelming bass on these?

 

Yup. You might want to consider getting different pads which reduce the bass somewhat and also make them more comfortable.

post #7728 of 8148

Mine did not come with ANY delicious bass. :confused_face:

 

 

post #7729 of 8148

Yea, do you know which earpads are good? i hear the Hm5 are good but i think they are a bit big any medium size alternatives? also do you know how i open them up to mod them

post #7730 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardnese View Post
 

Yea, do you know which earpads are good? i hear the Hm5 are good but i think they are a bit big any medium size alternatives? also do you know how i open them up to mod them

The best aftermarket pads would be the WS55 pleathers. I've gone through a lot of pad-swapping and the stock pads are definitly my favorite. So, if you want my advice I say to stick to those.

post #7731 of 8148

So I re-ordered on Amazon from a different merchant, I just got my refund. The last merchant I ordered from sold out. I'm crossing my fingers so I can get them as soon as possible!

 

I read some people in this thread are burning them in at high volumes with fast bassy music. So should I burn them in at max volume out of a laptop/ipod?


Edited by TickleMyPikachu - 11/20/13 at 2:13am
post #7732 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleMyPikachu View Post
 

So I re-ordered on Amazon from a different merchant, I just got my refund. The last merchant I ordered from sold out. I'm crossing my fingers so I can get them as soon as possible!

 

I read some people in this thread are burning them in at high volumes with fast bassy music. So should I burn them in at max volume out of a laptop/ipod?

 

No, 50 to 70 percent volume is good enough.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Burn in is placebo.

Edited by RoMee - 11/20/13 at 5:53am
post #7733 of 8148
Or just put them on your head and enjoy your music... That is the best "burn-in" these need.
post #7734 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleMyPikachu View Post
 

So I re-ordered on Amazon from a different merchant, I just got my refund. The last merchant I ordered from sold out. I'm crossing my fingers so I can get them as soon as possible!

 

I read some people in this thread are burning them in at high volumes with fast bassy music. So should I burn them in at max volume out of a laptop/ipod?

 

Here is the burn-in procedure for S400/500/680:

 

1) Use https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rnrj5g0mmbldj58/ZhYIByMYOE/White-Pink-Brown%20Noise%20%28For%20burn%20in%29.wav

2) Adjust the volume so that the middle noise is too loud for comfort

3) Take the headphones off, and add another 20-30% volume

4) Keep burning 24/7

5) For the old generation CNT drivers (S400/S500), give it at least a week

    For the new generation CNT drivers (S680), 48 hours is enough

post #7735 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

Or just put them on your head and enjoy your music... That is the best "burn-in" these need.

 

CNT drivers are very rigid, using music a few hours a day at normal listening volumes won't do much.

post #7736 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

Or just put them on your head and enjoy your music... That is the best "burn-in" these need.

+1

post #7737 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post
 

 

No, 50 to 70 percent volume is good enough.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Burn in is placebo.


Thanks! Hmmm... I remember reading that too, so when I got my Sennheiser HD555, I didn't burn them in. I just listened to them. I've had them for at least 2 years I believe. I don't even remember them changing over time. Then again, I wasn't listening for changes as I kept using them.

post #7738 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7S Cameron View Post
 

The best aftermarket pads would be the WS55 pleathers. I've gone through a lot of pad-swapping and the stock pads are definitly my favorite. So, if you want my advice I say to stick to those.

I have a pair of these JVC headphones and absolutely love the sound but find them to be uncomfortable on my ears, so I'm trying to figure out if there are alternative earpads that would make them more comfortable. I'd be willing to give up a bit in SQ for better comfort.  Do the WS55 pleathers make them more comfortable (and if so by how much) or are they mainly for sound quality? Are the HM5 pads a better option for comfort and if so how much of a SQ hit is there on those compared to the WS55s? And finally, is there a post/link somewhere that describes how to replace the stock pads with different ones? Thanks in advance!

post #7739 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleMyPikachu View Post
 


Thanks! Hmmm... I remember reading that too, so when I got my Sennheiser HD555, I didn't burn them in. I just listened to them. I've had them for at least 2 years I believe. I don't even remember them changing over time. Then again, I wasn't listening for changes as I kept using them.

 

Listen to it, if it sounds good than just keep listening to it, but if there's some things you don't like about the sound than let it burn, your opinion might change later on. This is what I do, even though I don't really believe in burn-in.

post #7740 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcover View Post
 

I have a pair of these JVC headphones and absolutely love the sound but find them to be uncomfortable on my ears, so I'm trying to figure out if there are alternative earpads that would make them more comfortable. I'd be willing to give up a bit in SQ for better comfort.  Do the WS55 pleathers make them more comfortable (and if so by how much) or are they mainly for sound quality? Are the HM5 pads a better option for comfort and if so how much of a SQ hit is there on those compared to the WS55s? And finally, is there a post/link somewhere that describes how to replace the stock pads with different ones? Thanks in advance!

 

WS55 pads are more comfortable, but still are too small and press to much on the ears.

HM5 pads give perfect comfort, but affect sound too much.

Anyway, why spend 30$ on just pads, when you can have HA-S680 for 81$? S680 has much bigger and much more comfortable pads:

 

 

They are still on ears for most people, but are very comfortable - more comfortable than the 52$ ESW9 pads.

I wish I didn't spend that much money on the pads...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.