Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread. - Page 476

post #7126 of 8148
I love these cans, but I will not misrepresent them for what they are not. This is my 2nd pair and it confirms my initial reasoning as to why I had sold off the first pair in the first place. They're veiled and dark. The treble does extend higher than the other headphones in its price point, yet they do not possess the transparency to create an 'honest' reproduction.

The bass is punchy, but unlike the PortaPros they do not color the other frequency spectrum. This is a very good thing, one that demonstrates what the S500 is capable of. If only the creators had paid as much attention to the highs as they did with the lows, it would be very very good. But at this price point one can only hope so.

I am not writing for the ones who already have these, but instead to the ones who are thinking of buying it. This is the other side of the coin, what I am writing is raw and straight from my opinion, and I understand everyone's entitled to one. But at least hear me out.

For the money, they're good. They're excellent. But they can be better, and they should be better.

This is starting to look a lot like "Grado calling Sennheiser veiled".
post #7127 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by penmarker View Post

I love these cans, but I will not misrepresent them for what they are not. This is my 2nd pair and it confirms my initial reasoning as to why I had sold off the first pair in the first place. They're veiled and dark. The treble does extend higher than the other headphones in its price point, yet they do not possess the transparency to create an 'honest' reproduction.

The bass is punchy, but unlike the PortaPros they do not color the other frequency spectrum. This is a very good thing, one that demonstrates what the S500 is capable of. If only the creators had paid as much attention to the highs as they did with the lows, it would be very very good. But at this price point one can only hope so.

I am not writing for the ones who already have these, but instead to the ones who are thinking of buying it. This is the other side of the coin, what I am writing is raw and straight from my opinion, and I understand everyone's entitled to one. But at least hear me out.

For the money, they're good. They're excellent. But they can be better, and they should be better.

This is starting to look a lot like "Grado calling Sennheiser veiled".

and for that dude, I'm grateful. really - sometimes people here forget that the phones have downsides to them and only remember the good qualities, which may be dangerous to the newcomer, as the product might turn out to be not as perfect as per the expectations.

post #7128 of 8148

Well, to be honest the first thing that I liked when I first put the s500 on my ears was the treble - and that's coming from someone who likes his highs and loves his ety er4s and brainwavz b2. For something to be dark it has to either have very rolled off or very laid back treble and the S500 has neither. The highs extend fairly well and are relatively smooth - now as I said you may prefer more boosted or aggressive highs but that doesn't make the s500 dark and veiled. The s500 is warm though and I've seen quite a few people confusing thinner note presentation or sound that is on the cold side with one that has better detail. Yeah, the boosted treble gives the perception of better clarity but that definitely doesn't create a more "honest" reproduction - quite the contrary IMO

And of course, the s500 is not a perfect headphone by any means - it's just a great performer for the price that gives quite a bit of headphones a run for their money


Edited by kova4a - 8/3/13 at 11:02am
post #7129 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro1137 View Post


I'll give it a shot. What should I burn them in with? Pink noise? Bassy music? Other?


 
Definitely use bassy music. I like using bassdrive as I've gotten faster results with it. I put my S500s on 100% volume when burning, but use your best judgement. Just make sure its pretty loud.

As far as the pads go, they do get more comfortable with use. I've found myself sticking to them because I prefer the signature of the stock pads. The HM5 pads are very comfortable, but for me the sound just doesn't cut it. I've heard the pleathers are good though, so I woold look into those.
post #7130 of 8148
If I listen to my CKN70s and then my S500s right after the highs do sound kind of veiled. But after a track or two I can't even tell anymore.

I think its because of the warm sound signature. The micro details are fantastic even though the headphones aren't bright at all.
post #7131 of 8148

The micro details is just gorgeous. You can hear distinct instruments among the mess of sounds. Also the pads will get softer and comfortable through time. I've tried velour on ear pads, but I go back to the pleather for the sound and comfort.

post #7132 of 8148
Look, I luv my S500's, but the comfort does leave much to be desired. The pads are sweat beacons, and the top headband is too hard (not too much padding on a hard plastic band). I deal with it, but I'm going to swap out the pads for the hd25-1 II pads. They might be a little better,...
post #7133 of 8148

I just got mine in today. After sifting through this thread, I felt that these headphones fit my musical tastes very well. So far, I've had 3 hours of continuous listening time. Out of the box, I noticed that the highs were a bit sharp, but lowered them on my FiiO E17. I love the punchy bass, and the overall sound so far. It is by no means muddy. I ended up spending $51 for shipping from Japan to Southern California.


So far, I don't feel that I need to modify these. Based on your guys' suggestions regarding taping down the bass ports, what is the effect on the sound? I'm getting a bit of mixed information--some say it's muddy, and some say that it's suitable out of the box.

 

Based on your experiences, what are the most distinct changes in the sound after burn in?

post #7134 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by barm View Post

I just got mine in today. After sifting through this thread, I felt that these headphones fit my musical tastes very well. So far, I've had 3 hours of continuous listening time. Out of the box, I noticed that the highs were a bit sharp, but lowered them on my FiiO E17. I love the punchy bass, and the overall sound so far. It is by no means muddy. I ended up spending $51 for shipping from Japan to Southern California.


So far, I don't feel that I need to modify these. Based on your guys' suggestions regarding taping down the bass ports, what is the effect on the sound? I'm getting a bit of mixed information--some say it's muddy, and some say that it's suitable out of the box.

 

Based on your experiences, what are the most distinct changes in the sound after burn in?

Don't tape the ports unless quantity is important to you. The quality and texture is diminished when taping the ports, but it definitely increases the amount of bass.

post #7135 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by penmarker View Post


There's nothing wrong with your set at all. Yes they sound veiled and dark and the bass could be boomy/bloated to some. Burning in do help but only so much.

 

I had the same thoughts as you but then people kept telling me there weren't any veils and they're the perfect little headphones and for $50/$45/$60 shipped they can't go wrong at all.

 

No, it's all based on your preferences. If you can't get over the sound signature, then I'm sorry you probably won't like it any time sooner even after >10k hours of burning in on dubsteps with bass deeper than the depths of hell.

 

Downtowns are superior IMHO, several people do like it a lot compared to the S500.

 

To me, the S500 is the perfect excuse. They're dirt cheap, but solidly built, and has a fun signature. It's almost as if you're not allowed to criticize it at all. The perfect defense would be "Oh but they're just $45 shipped!". Sir with all due respect, we know the price, we bought it. But please do understand that some of us really do think they're getting more hype than they deserve.

 

BTW pro, what amp are you driving it with?


I like a lot of things about the S500 over the Downtowns, and vice versa. But for sound, I think I like the Downtown more.

I'm not using any amp normally. Driving it direct from my iPhone 4S. However, sometimes I do plug it into my iFi iDAC.

post #7136 of 8148
The hd25-1 II pads ruin the sq,...I'm sticking with the stock pads.
post #7137 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by tds101 View Post

The hd25-1 II pads ruin the sq,...I'm sticking with the stock pads.

Was it the stock HD25-1 II pads that you tried, or HD25 velours?

post #7138 of 8148
Do the felt/tp mod, you put felt or something behind the driver. wink.gif still loving mine!
post #7139 of 8148

For me Philips Downtown are available for the same price as the S500s... That's bloody well tempting

post #7140 of 8148
I'll sell you my uptowns for $60. They're the silver color. wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.