Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread. - Page 421

post #6301 of 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by geko95gek View Post


It just collapses, no snapping involved. ;-)

Is it rigid enough to not just collapse together when you take it off?

post #6302 of 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaHat View Post

Is it rigid enough to not just collapse together when you take it off?


It holds its shape when worn, it will only collapse when you attempt to fold them. Extremely compact when folded.

post #6303 of 8119



Finally got an hour or so to try them out but I'm just running them through my computer headphone amp (that came with my 5 year old Logitech  desktop speakers) I'm still awaiting my hifimediy so I'm not really willing to give a good review yet.

I tried listening to Judas Priest and it was pretty god awful through my computer but electro is pretty good since the bass seems to be pretty nice, in fact it beats the bass impact of my old pair of dt 770's while it was amped. I'm pretty convinced these will sound way better once my Dac arrives (I hope).

 As I'm writing this my ears are starting to bother me, I had a paragraph written about how comfortable these are but sadly they are not.
I hate the feel of the memory foam, just feels too hard. I have really sensitive ears, even my pillow hurts my ears sometimes so I don't know if I'm even the right person to be critiquing the whole comfort thing. I just adjusted the headphones slightly and I'll see if that makes a difference.

I have a pair of hm5 pads on their way, hopefully they solve the whole comfort issue and the dac solves the whole crap quality issue. Otherwise I'm afraid that these were quite overhyped as I'm much more satisfied with the sound quality of my mh 1's.

I don't believe in burn in, So trying to convince me that leaving them sitting there on full blast is going to make them sound dramatically different. Tried it before and noticed absolutely no difference, Not doing it again.

Edit: They feel comfy now, but I took a t3 a while ago and that may be the reason. Lol, flipping wisdom tooth.

Double edit: I am finding it really depends on the audio quality on the songs you're listening to, I was giving my opinion based on listening to a single album. But now I can after listening to more songs in HD that these sound great.They are so Loud, 60% is plenty loud through my computer. Comfortable for an hour or so before I have to adjust them again. These really do sound extremely sexy for 50 dollars. This is without a Dac still, I'm super excited to give another review once it arrives.


Edited by chib - 5/18/13 at 5:42pm
post #6304 of 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by chib View Post



Finally got an hour or so to try them out but I'm just running them through my computer headphone amp (that came with my 5 year old Logitech  desktop speakers) I'm still awaiting my hifimediy so I'm not really willing to give a good review yet.

I tried listening to Judas Priest and it was pretty god awful through my computer but electro is pretty good since the bass seems to be pretty nice, in fact it beats the bass impact of my old pair of dt 770's while it was amped. I'm pretty convinced these will sound way better once my Dac arrives (I hope).

 As I'm writing this my ears are starting to bother me, I had a paragraph written about how comfortable these are but sadly they are not.
I hate the feel of the memory foam, just feels too hard. I have really sensitive ears, even my pillow hurts my ears sometimes so I don't know if I'm even the right person to be critiquing the whole comfort thing. I just adjusted the headphones slightly and I'll see if that makes a difference.

I have a pair of hm5 pads on their way, hopefully they solve the whole comfort issue and the dac solves the whole crap quality issue. Otherwise I'm afraid that these were quite overhyped as I'm much more satisfied with the sound quality of my mh 1's.

I don't believe in burn in, So trying to convince me that leaving them sitting there on full blast is going to make them sound dramatically different. Tried it before and noticed absolutely no difference, Not doing it again.

Edit: They feel comfy now, but I took a t3 a while ago and that may be the reason. Lol, flipping wisdom tooth.

 

 

This is how you wreck your headphones, not burn them in.

 

The stock pads aren't very comfortable- many have pointed that out throughout this thread. 

 

My first impressions, like I said, were "meh". After using these for a few weeks and burning them in overnight, they sound awesome. There's just nothing that comes close at this price point. 

post #6305 of 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicat3 View Post
My first impressions, like I said, were "meh". After using these for a few weeks and burning them in overnight, they sound awesome. There's just nothing that comes close at this price point. 

+1. I wasn't all that impressed on open box either, and I have never believed in burn in, until HA-s500! Left them burning about 4 days straight and the difference is VERY noticeable! Something about these CNT drivers that responds differently to burn in than other drivers.

post #6306 of 8119

Okay, so I really want these, but I want more isolation, and I would like around the ear pads... Are there any pads that can be used that can be bought on amazon? Also, how do these sound with orchestral music?

post #6307 of 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicat3 View Post

 

tongue_smile.gif

 

I think there is a bit of an improvement with the blue Adidas pleathers, though the sound is great with the stock pads. It's much more comfortable with the Adidas pleathers though and it looks better. :)

Ok :)

Without changing the S500 does not sound good?
Originally, has some nice deep bass and extended?  The treble not annoying?

post #6308 of 8119
Stock sounds excellent to me and they really are not that uncomfortable at all. At the end of May when the WS55 pads get back in stock, I'll pick up a pair to check them out.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2
post #6309 of 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme1Bass View Post

Ok smily_headphones1.gif

Without changing the S500 does not sound good?
Originally, has some nice deep bass and extended?  The treble not annoying?

Exactly.

However, WS55 pads expand the soundstage a bit and remove any boominess from the base.
post #6310 of 8119
How much more do these isolate with full sized pads? Also does anyone use these with orchestral music? Do they sound good with that?
post #6311 of 8119

You guys made me torn on whether to order the black or silver version! I was gonna get the black one but after hearing it can chip away I'm not so sure.

post #6312 of 8119

These sound so bloated without a proper source. :(


I've been wearing them for an hour straight and don't feel the slightest fatigue on my ears, I figured it may have been my painkillers from yesterday making them more tolerable but
with a slight adjustment to make the headphones a little bit larger they fit perfectly. Totally biting my words from my initial post about the comfort.

I don't think there's a difference between the black and gunmetal paint, It's the same plastic. Just be careful with it and you'll be fine.


Edited by chib - 5/17/13 at 9:48am
post #6313 of 8119

so having the s500 today... man... what is there to say.

 

 

 

Definitely more bass quantity than the s400.... quality goes to s400.  High's aren't as good...mids are pretty similar.

 

Finding myself listening to the ksc75's more.  

post #6314 of 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrael View Post

You guys made me torn on whether to order the black or silver version! I was gonna get the black one but after hearing it can chip away I'm not so sure.

It doesn't chip away.

I've had mine for 7 months and no issues at all, I haven't been that careful with them either.
post #6315 of 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekeRugburn View Post

so having the s500 today... man... what is there to say.

 

 

 

Definitely more bass quantity than the s400.... quality goes to s400.  High's aren't as good...mids are pretty similar.

 

Finding myself listening to the ksc75's more.  

 

Let them burn in, even if you don't believe in burn in. I'm looking forward to see if your opinion changes. 

 

From what I've read, the s400s sound better out of the box and the s500s need to be used a bit. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.