Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread. - Page 298

post #4456 of 8119
Thread Starter 

So you want Tenso to ship my new ES700 and CKN50 to you?.. By the way I should be getting those very soon. I hope by this weekend. Will post some impressions of them ASAP.

post #4457 of 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

So you want Tenso to ship my new ES700 and CKN50 to you?..

 

Right!

 

Quote:
By the way I should be getting those very soon. I hope by this weekend.

 

Wrong!

 

Quote:
Will post some impressions of them ASAP.

 

Cool! But you're moving too quickly for me - I'm still trying to cope with the notion of liking those AD900X's! You really should also get the Somic EFI 82MT's and then tell me which pair out of all of them to get. C'mon, it's only $40 lol!

post #4458 of 8119
Thread Starter 

Don't know man. Those Somic cans seem like a great deal to me but owning the AD900X. Somehow I doubt those will be better..I can let you know how I see the ES700s when they come in. But you can get the AD900X for about $50 more so it will be interesting to hear them. Will compare of course..I will compare them to the HA-S500. Excuse me while I play a round of BF3 using my AD900X.

 

See the idea of using an open detailed can like a AD900X for gaming. 3D realism in sound. Using my Titanium HD  X-FI CmSS-3D mode on. I can hear gun fire a mile away in any direction. Realism at its best.


Edited by Dsnuts - 1/17/13 at 3:42am
post #4459 of 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

Yes but I know for a fact many guys sell stuff not burned in or used at all. They open stuff try it out. Think it is too bright and then they sell it. Too many guys are guilty of this. I would definitely run them or any DAC for that matter at least a week before judging even if you bought a supposed used one on sale.

 

There are many guys that just have no clue about burn in at all. They think that is how stuff will sound. If I didn't burn in my Fire Phoenix I would have gotten rid of it a long time ago. But I am glad it got plenty of use. It is simply my best sounding DAC/AMP even over much more expensive stuff. And yes my Fire Phoenix was bright out of box. Clean but bright. So was my Ele.. Burn them in by just using them for a week straight.. The sounds will only improve.

 

I recently got DannyBai's Leckerton Dac/Amp he let me borrow for a week. To my surprise he said he used the DAC section of the Leckerton UHA-6S MKii like 2 times. So I hooked it up to my laptop to get a bright and somewhat harsh sounding Leckerton. So what did I do? I just let it play and play. Almost 40 hours while I had it. The sound changed from first time I tried it to when I sent it back to him was completely different. The Leckerton I sent him back sounded so much better. It goes to show you. Burn in is not just for headphones.

Burn-in is pretty much for everything audio.

 

Had it not been for the fact that due to communication misunderstanding the B & K report on JVC cans was written in Slovene language instead of agreed on English, I would have posted it by now. Have to translate it all first, as any electronic translators create such a jibberish that it just would not make any sense.

 

What files which will preserve graphs can be uploaded on head-fi? Excel, Word, pdf only ?

post #4460 of 8119

The ETE DAC arrived today.  I've installed it and am going through the paces.  I'm using the Sennheiser HD-555 headphones tonight, which are a bit shy on the bass end - but, still not a horrible headphone for $30.00 via Craigslist.  I admittedly didn't know what to expect from the ETE DAC.  Either it would be an $18.00 wonder, or an $18.00 paperweight.  Granted, I'm also trying to switch between my Modi to try and capture a feeling for the sound signature.  However, I really can't come to any concrete conclusions until I've had 3 or 4 good evenings to run some of my favorites through it to go through certain song passages.  I can say though, that the lil' ETE DAC isn't exactly a piece that I'd throw out the window and it has its place.  Will it be on par with the Modi?  Would it be on par or better than the ODAC?  Hard to tell, due to each of us having different preferences.  But, with the various sound cards that I've listened to headphones on, getting the separate DAC, even the $18.00 model is really a much better way to go as opposed to suffering through the "sound card blues" by having to work out installing new drivers, eradicating memory conflicts and then determining that some virus scanning programs can cause a lot of interference in the sound chain on a computer, the ETE DAC is a relatively pain-free, headache-free solution when it comes to making some initial steps into computer audio.  This is especially true if one has limited budget for starters.

 

It's kind of hard to imagine that back in 1976, I was marveling at the Nakamichi "Dragon" cassette deck which ran about $1,800 in that year and was featured on the cover of High Fidelity.  At the time, $1,800 was probably the amount of money that my father would make in a 2-month period.  Needless to say, such a deck would never be an item in my household.  I wouldn't have any other gear - amp, speakers, that would due the deck justice unless I spent another $4,000 or so.  With that said, I don't think I'll complain, or be too critical of an $18.00 DAC in 2013 that still sounds nearly ten times better than some of the mega-buck audio from 1976.  wink.gif

post #4461 of 8119

sorry, but i am lost.. is there a new ETE dac for $18?

post #4462 of 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

The ETE DAC arrived today.  I've installed it and am going through the paces.  I'm using the Sennheiser HD-555 headphones tonight, which are a bit shy on the bass end - but, still not a horrible headphone for $30.00 via Craigslist.  I admittedly didn't know what to expect from the ETE DAC.  Either it would be an $18.00 wonder, or an $18.00 paperweight.  Granted, I'm also trying to switch between my Modi to try and capture a feeling for the sound signature.  However, I really can't come to any concrete conclusions until I've had 3 or 4 good evenings to run some of my favorites through it to go through certain song passages.  I can say though, that the lil' ETE DAC isn't exactly a piece that I'd throw out the window and it has its place.  Will it be on par with the Modi?  Would it be on par or better than the ODAC?  Hard to tell, due to each of us having different preferences.  But, with the various sound cards that I've listened to headphones on, getting the separate DAC, even the $18.00 model is really a much better way to go as opposed to suffering through the "sound card blues" by having to work out installing new drivers, eradicating memory conflicts and then determining that some virus scanning programs can cause a lot of interference in the sound chain on a computer, the ETE DAC is a relatively pain-free, headache-free solution when it comes to making some initial steps into computer audio.  This is especially true if one has limited budget for starters.

 

It's kind of hard to imagine that back in 1976, I was marveling at the Nakamichi "Dragon" cassette deck which ran about $1,800 in that year and was featured on the cover of High Fidelity.  At the time, $1,800 was probably the amount of money that my father would make in a 2-month period.  Needless to say, such a deck would never be an item in my household.  I wouldn't have any other gear - amp, speakers, that would due the deck justice unless I spent another $4,000 or so.  With that said, I don't think I'll complain, or be too critical of an $18.00 DAC in 2013 that still sounds nearly ten times better than some of the mega-buck audio from 1976.  wink.gif

I can certainly simpathize with such feelings. The Technics SE-A1 amp would make Naka Dragon look like peanuts - it was 5995 British Pound Sterlings list price and that was probably around 10K $ in 1977. I was in high school then, but 2 year's savings enabled me to afford SME 3009 Series 2 Improved arm with fixed headshell ( one of the best in the world at the time ) - for around 40 pounds. No comment how small and insignificant I felt then and there.

 

But most definitely not think a DAC in 2013, no matter what the cost, that does not support sampling frequency at least 88.2 kHz, could possibly

even meet, let alone ten times exceed the SQ of perfectly working Dragon with some good noise reduction, like Naka's own High Com II. It is hellishly expensive, as good cassete tape today commands exhorbitant prices, and also refurbishing Nakas after almost 40 years certainly does not come cheap. You should perhaps try to hear it once - you owe yourself at least to give your youthful unattinable wish a fair listen - and although I doubt you

will then go and get yourself one, you will know that the old technology that is nowadays so expensive to maintain and run does offer sound unnatainable with < x00 $ digital stuff. I am not saying digital is all crap, because there are good and very inexpensive digital devices that allow very broad spectrum of poeople to enjoy music that would have been unattainable to them otherwise - which is to say that I approve digital because of this more than for any other reason. But saying that an ETE DAC could possibly rival properly functioning Dragon with good tape just does not hold water.

But I certainly welcome a $ 18 device that does sound acceptable enough.

JVC HA-S500 are certainly good enough to prove this point.beerchug.gif

post #4463 of 8119
any mods to calm down the highs? man, these have piercing treble although burned in. exact same fatiguing soundsig as the aweful fxd40s. hope you have got some mods to make them less agressive and more relaxing.
post #4464 of 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofastreamer View Post

any mods to calm down the highs? man, these have piercing treble although burned in. exact same fatiguing soundsig as the aweful fxd40s. hope you have got some mods to make them less agressive and more relaxing.

The Sennheiser HD25 velour pads tone down the highs.

post #4465 of 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdohc View Post

sorry, but i am lost.. is there a new ETE dac for $18?


You off of your meds again rick, it's the same $18 cheapo ELE dac for the last couple of months, where you get "ETE dac" from??? LMAO

post #4466 of 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post


You off of your meds again rick, it's the same $18 cheapo ELE dac for the last couple of months, where you get "ETE dac" from??? LMAO

 

wje said ETE DAC about 10 times in his post above lmao 

 

The question is... are you off your meds again? tongue.gif

post #4467 of 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofastreamer View Post

any mods to calm down the highs? man, these have piercing treble although burned in. exact same fatiguing soundsig as the aweful fxd40s. hope you have got some mods to make them less agressive and more relaxing.

 

As mentioned, I'm sure the HD25 velours would do it. Also, the ATH pleathers tame the highs, as do the HM5 pads. Fwiw, I could never get used to the FX40's highs either.

post #4468 of 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by geko95gek View Post

 

wje said ETE DAC about 10 times in his post above lmao 

 

The question is... are you off your meds again? tongue.gif


Well then, i guess that mad moddster forgot to take his as well. Hold up let me eat my breakfast real quick! ............YUM!!! All better now, can finally think clearly.  Thanks for the reminder geko! tongue_smile.gif

 

@steamer

I am not sure what to say about the harsh treble you are hearing on these S500s. The highs are extended but never harsh/ sibilant, esp when compared to the crazy treble of the FX40s. The only other person that has some problems with the S500s treble is sandwichman, but he has very sensitive hearing or something. When compared to the FX40s these S500s are real smooth. Well that's what i hear anyways...........

post #4469 of 8119
tried hd25 velours. still piercing. there is nother problem for me: these nicely build but crapy sounding headphones have zero soundstage, layering and imaging. even the already congested sounding k518 has better depth and layering. maybe it is just me, but i think i stumbled in the overhype trap again.
post #4470 of 8119
... sorry for double post
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.