Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread. - Page 266

post #3976 of 8117

Denon D1100 is much bigger than S500;

S500 can be folded in 2 ways and the folded size is much smaller than 1100.

post #3977 of 8117

Hey, I just made an account because I'm thinking about buying these headphones as opposed to the MDR V6's, and I have two questions.

1. Are these the kinds of headphones that need an amp to sound good? I'll be playing them either through my computer (which most likely doesn't have the best sound card, being built into the motherboard) or through my Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0.

2. How difficult is it going to be to return these, if I have to, should I buy them from Amazon.

 

I know you've probably gone over this at some point in the thread, but seeing as how there are 266 pages in it now, I'd rather not read through this thing.


Edited by Yukondano2 - 12/30/12 at 11:25pm
post #3978 of 8117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukondano2 View Post

Hey, I just made an account because I'm thinking about buying these headphones as opposed to the MDR V6's, and I have two questions.

1. Are these the kinds of headphones that need an amp to sound good? I'll be playing them either through my computer (which most likely doesn't have the best sound card, being built into the motherboard) or through my Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0.

2. How difficult is it going to be to return these, if I have to, should I buy them from Amazon.

 

I know you've probably gone over this at some point in the thread, but seeing as how there are 266 pages in it now, I'd rather not read through this thing.

These don't need amping at all to sound good. But simple mods can make them even better.  Never heard the V6s but these S500s seems to be a lot more portable and more suited for modern types of music, all genres.

 

Well, you have to import these from Jpn if you want them new. So it all depends on your seller and their return policy. But you can easily sell these on head-fi or else where since they are pretty popular and hard to find if you don't like them.

post #3979 of 8117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukondano2 View Post

Hey, I just made an account because I'm thinking about buying these headphones as opposed to the MDR V6's, and I have two questions.

1. Are these the kinds of headphones that need an amp to sound good? I'll be playing them either through my computer (which most likely doesn't have the best sound card, being built into the motherboard) or through my Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0.

2. How difficult is it going to be to return these, if I have to, should I buy them from Amazon.

 

I know you've probably gone over this at some point in the thread, but seeing as how there are 266 pages in it now, I'd rather not read through this thing.

They DEFINITELY sound good without an amp. They do scale well from what I hear, but I haven't tried them amped yet. The most significant change you'll notice with burn in is the instrument separation. Every instrument has its own atmosphere, it's very interesting.

post #3980 of 8117

I cannot detect any noticeable difference when amped through the FiiO E11. My friend did mention there is better extension/decay for highs. Not worth the money spent on the E11 if you don't really strive for 100% potential IMHO.

post #3981 of 8117
Quote:
Originally Posted by penmarker View Post

I cannot detect any noticeable difference when amped through the FiiO E11. My friend did mention there is better extension/decay for highs. Not worth the money spent on the E11 if you don't really strive for 100% potential IMHO.

No amping needed if you mean loudness by that - they are very easy to drive.What does make for audible difference if low frequency extension of your amp or whatever and its output impedance. For both - the lower, the better. Most likely only needed/audible with high rez digital and analog.

post #3982 of 8117

I found myself listening to my Uptowns more lately than my S500's largely because the Uptowns are so much more comfortable (and, I enjoy their sound - Doc ain't completely crazy lol).

 

At any rate, my HM5 pads just came in, and I must say that it is a joy to get the S500 goodness to the same comfort level as the Uptowns. Simply awesome.

 

Currently I have them over the ATH pleathers and it sounds great. But I suppose I should try them over the stock pads also to see how that sounds. I'll probably leave the bass ports taped unless someone tells me that I should try them not being taped over.

 

Cool!


Edited by waynes world - 12/31/12 at 10:33am
post #3983 of 8117
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post

I found myself listening to my Uptowns more lately than my S500's largely because the Uptowns are so much more comfortable (and, I enjoy their sound - Doc ain't completely crazy lol).

 

At any rate, my HM5 pads just came in, and I must say that it is a joy to get the S500 goodness to the same comfort level as the Uptowns. Simply awesome.

 

Currently I have them over the ATH pleathers and it sounds great. But I suppose I should try them over the stock pads also to see how that sounds.

 

Cool!


Ya try the stock pads. That is how I have them. The ATH pleathers sound a bit thin using the HM5 pads. Make sure to take the tape off the vents now too. You won't need the tape mod anymore. Try it out.

post #3984 of 8117

What's the cheapest way to send them to europe? Should i choose EMS insured shipping? I've checked ebay, but since amazon japan have them a tad cheaper maybe it's better a forwarding company?

post #3985 of 8117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post


Ya try the stock pads. That is how I have them. The ATH pleathers sound a bit thin using the HM5 pads. Make sure to take the tape off the vents now too. You won't need the tape mod anymore. Try it out.

 

Thanks. Done, but they don't stay on over the stock pads very well (one side keeps just popping off). I suppose the ring trick might be in order?

post #3986 of 8117
Thread Starter 

Ya I got my rings the other day. Funny story. I spent almost an hour trying to figure out how to put the rings over the HM5 pads. The funny thing is. You don't

The rings make the back end of the cups just big enough for the HM5 pads not to fall off..They stay put now buy you can get a good idea of the sound using them with stock pads and HM5 pads over them. Very comfy and sounds great.

 

By the way I sent out most of the prizes. I am about to go to the post office again to send off hatefulsandwich his prize. Still no word from Ghost. I wonder if he got too drunk at a Christmas party and something happened. Lol.


Edited by Dsnuts - 12/31/12 at 10:55am
post #3987 of 8117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

Ya I got my rings the other day. Funny story. I spent almost an hour trying to figure out how to put the rings over the HM5 pads. The funny thing is. You don't

The rings make the back end of the cups just big enough for the HM5 pads not to fall off..They stay put now buy you can get a good idea of the sound using them with stock pads and HM5 pads over them. Very comfy and sounds great.

My HM5 pads are taking their sweet time getting here from China as always, but can you post some pics of these pads with the rings on it. Cute be trolling me hard by not posting any pics, cute to me is the new mochill but worse. haha

 

Got a 2nd set of used S500s in gunmetal from a fellow head-fier just to test them out with these HM5 pads, hope i love this combo like many are.


Edited by sfwalcer - 12/31/12 at 11:00am
post #3988 of 8117

Firstly, it does seem like the S500's with HM5 pads over the stock pads (with vents untaped) truly, spectaculary, do somehow sound even better than with just the ath pleathers (and vents taped). I find it hard to believe, but it's true. I am just loving the soundstage now. And it seems like the mids are brought out a bit more forward. Sounds very full and rich. Wow. And combine that with the comfort... priceless! Does anyone really need anything more than this??? (well, apart from the fxz100/200's lol).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

Ya I got my rings the other day. Funny story. I spent almost an hour trying to figure out how to put the rings over the HM5 pads. The funny thing is. You don't

The rings make the back end of the cups just big enough for the HM5 pads not to fall off..They stay put now buy you can get a good idea of the sound using them with stock pads and HM5 pads over them. Very comfy and sounds great.

 

Thanks for that info! So, you now do not have the stock pads under the HM5 pads?

 

Quote:
By the way I sent out most of the prizes. I am about to go to the post office again to send off hatefulsandwich his prize. Still no word from Ghost. I wonder if he got too drunk at a Christmas party and something happened. Lol.

 

These things happen lol! I'm sure he's fine though (fingers crossed).

post #3989 of 8117

I got the rings so I didn't need any other pads underneath the HM5 pads......just fit the O rings in the groove where the stock pads fit.  The O rings stay in the groove, and the HM5 pads fit over the O rings to keep them in place, so no pads under the HM5 pads.....but you guys do what you want.  I have modded by two S500's and S400 with different cables, in addition to the HM5 pad/O rings....for the most awesomeness sounding headphones!

post #3990 of 8117
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post

I got the rings so I didn't need any other pads underneath the HM5 pads......just fit the O rings in the groove where the stock pads fit.  The O rings stay in the groove, and the HM5 pads fit over the O rings to keep them in place, so no pads under the HM5 pads.....but you guys do what you want.  I have modded by two S500's and S400 with different cables, in addition to the HM5 pad/O rings....for the most awesomeness sounding headphones!
Do you tape mod it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.