Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread. - Page 229

post #3421 of 8103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

I'd be incredibly surprised if they don't beat S500.

 

I'm sure they do also. Having said that, it's pretty cool that the S500 can even be compared to them :)

post #3422 of 8103

After about 100 hours of burn-in and a weekend of listening, I'm ready to render my judgment on my pair of the S500s.

 

The short version: they are awesome.

 

The slightly longer version:

 

Sound

I've thrown nearly every genre I could find in my library at them and I couldn't find one I didn't like with these. Tracks with a nice bass line definitely profit most from them but I also enjoyed them with something like acoustic guitars or orchestral tracks. Though being on-ears and closed, their stage is not as wide as I sometimes want it to be. In general it's more then sufficient though.

A note on burn-in: Before burn-in I thought they had a veiled sound and some piercing highs but that has now completely vanished. So I would recommend some burn-in if you don't like them immediately out of the box.

 

Build

When I ordered them, I was a bit wary of the folding mechanism and the general build quality. After having them in my hands, I don't think that there will be any issues in the foreseeable future. They are well build, the materials have a quality touch to them and overall they seem to be quite sturdy.

 

Comfort

I have rather large ears, so for me these are on-ear headphones. I used them for smaller and extended periods of time and they never got to the point, where I had to take them off because my ears hurt. Though some times after taking them off after longer sessions, I realized that my ears were a bit sore. I just didn't realized it while wearing them. If you have larger ears and you are a bit sensitive to pressure on them, I would recommend going for one of the ear-pad mods.

 

Value

I was lucky and got a friend returning from japan to bring these along for me, so I only paid 35€. For that price, these are definitely the best headphones I own (which are not a lot to begin with rolleyes.gif ). And even if you have to pay the imported prices, these will be a great investment.

 

Some of the tracks I used (Click to show)

Nalepa - Monday (The Glitch Mob Remix) [nice test for clarity/highs; electronic]

mitch murder - airwolf (cover) [nice steady bass, like the layering in the synthies; electronic]

Christopher Tin - Baba yetu [a.k.a. Best Game Menu Theme ever wink.gif; orchestral,choir]:

 

Beethovens Symphony No 9 - 4 (a.k.a Ode to joy) [Video only for reference, you should use a better version; orchestral,choir]:

 

Adele - Skyfall [love her voice; orchestral,singer]:

 

Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Stairway to Heaven [these two know how to handle a guitar; acoustic guitar]:

post #3423 of 8103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwerdenker View Post

After about 100 hours of burn-in and a weekend of listening, I'm ready to render my judgment on my pair of the S500s.

 

The short version: they are awesome.

 

The slightly longer version:

 

Sound

I've thrown nearly every genre I could find in my library at them and I couldn't find one I didn't like with these. Tracks with a nice bass line definitely profit most from them but I also enjoyed them with something like acoustic guitars or orchestral tracks. Though being on-ears and closed, their stage is not as wide as I sometimes want it to be. In general it's more then sufficient though.

A note on burn-in: Before burn-in I thought they had a veiled sound and some piercing highs but that has now completely vanished. So I would recommend some burn-in if you don't like them immediately out of the box.

 

Build

When I ordered them, I was a bit wary of the folding mechanism and the general build quality. After having them in my hands, I don't think that there will be any issues in the foreseeable future. They are well build, the materials have a quality touch to them and overall they seem to be quite sturdy.

 

Comfort

I have rather large ears, so for me these are on-ear headphones. I used them for smaller and extended periods of time and they never got to the point, where I had to take them off because my ears hurt. Though some times after taking them off after longer sessions, I realized that my ears were a bit sore. I just didn't realized it while wearing them. If you have larger ears and you are a bit sensitive to pressure on them, I would recommend going for one of the ear-pad mods.

 

Value

I was lucky and got a friend returning from japan to bring these along for me, so I only paid 35€. For that price, these are definitely the best headphones I own (which are not a lot to begin with rolleyes.gif ). And even if you have to pay the imported prices, these will be a great investment.

 

Excellent! Thanks for sharing that. Thanks also for sharing those tunes - I'm looking forward to listening to them. Btw, if you get the ath pleathers and tape the vents, I don't think you would be disappointed (with the sound, or with the comfort).

post #3424 of 8103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

 

I'd be incredibly surprised if they don't beat S500.


but the hd 518 or hd 558 will only buy next year ... the s500 is very good for me for now :)

post #3425 of 8103
Can't stop smiling knowing only good comments are coming for these cans. Mine are almost 3 months old but they look pristine. I haven't been exactly gentle with them but they can take a beating. I throw them in my bag if I'm going out for extended periods of time. The joints are still firmly attached, no problems whatsoever.

The cups still have great color and minimal scratches (mine are gunmetal). Says a lot about their build quality. Also since they're a lot more comfy now after breaking in, I'm not hesitant to lend them to friends to have a listen. All of the response had been positive, given they are listening to the bands they love.

Funny how I'm not bothered about the soundstage anymore.
post #3426 of 8103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateke View Post

@geko95gek  a bit more comfortable than the stock pads. However, they make my ears hot after using 45-60 minutes.

Oh ok thanks! They do look good though, maybe will get more comfortable over time.

I'm still trying to decide between the HD25 blue pads and ATH pleathers.

At least my S500s are on the way now, that makes me happy. biggrin.gif

Tracking their journey as I'm typing this! ph34r.gif
post #3427 of 8103
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post

 

Excellent! Thanks for sharing that. Thanks also for sharing those tunes - I'm looking forward to listening to them. Btw, if you get the ath pleathers and tape the vents, I don't think you would be disappointed (with the sound, or with the comfort).

You mean something like these http://www.ebay.de/itm/Ear-Pads-Audio-Technica-ATH-SJ5-DJ-Style-Headphones-Black-/251182987331 ? I'm still debating between them and the HM5. Making the S500 a full circumaural headphone is tempting but I dislike the price of admission for it. I spend more then enough on audio gear the last weeks (beside the S500s I got the MH1C (considering to sell them), the XB90EX and I just ordered additional tips for them too). Maybe come January I'll consider some new pads. Currently I'm just as happy with the stock ones :)

post #3428 of 8103
yes i definitely recommend the ath pleathers
the inner hole is bigger than the stock pads (so more space for ears to fit in), and pressing them showed that the ath pleathers were noticeably softer
only $15 shipped!
post #3429 of 8103
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyash View Post

yes i definitely recommend the ath pleathers
the inner hole is bigger than the stock pads (so more space for ears to fit in), and pressing them showed that the ath pleathers were noticeably softer
only $15 shipped!

Softer and more comfortable than the HD25 blue pads?
post #3430 of 8103

Hey guys, just been a/bing with the sony mh1c and I must say the sonys sound awesome compared to the s500 with stock pads. I havent listened to the sonys in a while as Ive been listening to the s500's. The sony's have much clearer, cleaner detail and now i notice the sony's are very bass heavy but have a nicer bass quantity and quality over the s500's. I have about 40 hours on the s500's so they are not near the 200 hour burn in period recommended. Do the ath pleather pads change the sound dramatically compared to the stock s500's? 

post #3431 of 8103
Quote:
Originally Posted by geko95gek View Post

Softer and more comfortable than the HD25 blue pads?

sorry i dont have the blue hd25 pads
but from the looks of it, the hd25 pads holes are much smaller so they would give a on ear fit, whereas the ath pleathers provide a around ear fit for me (my ears arent too big though)
Quote:
Originally Posted by koreanzombie View Post

Hey guys, just been a/bing with the sony mh1c and I must say the sonys sound awesome compared to the s500 with stock pads. I havent listened to the sonys in a while as Ive been listening to the s500's. The sony's have much clearer, cleaner detail and now i notice the sony's are very bass heavy but have a nicer bass quantity and quality over the s500's. I have about 40 hours on the s500's so they are not near the 200 hour burn in period recommended. Do the ath pleather pads change the sound dramatically compared to the stock s500's? 

with the ath pleathers, i immediately noticed a big reduction in bass quantity
i then taped up all the ports and bass quantity returned to the amount with stock pads
i cant really describe them about the quality as im not that experienced yet

note, the s500 arent really basshead cans
they provide sub bass and bass, not its not overwhelming like the cks77, although you could eq them
from what i remember, they had equal amounts of bass as the vsonic gr07 with +2 to +4 bass eq with the fiio e17

edit: highly recommend the ath pleathers for comfort despite its high-ish price
post #3432 of 8103
Quote:
Originally Posted by koreanzombie View Post

Hey guys, just been a/bing with the sony mh1c and I must say the sonys sound awesome compared to the s500 with stock pads. I havent listened to the sonys in a while as Ive been listening to the s500's. The sony's have much clearer, cleaner detail and now i notice the sony's are very bass heavy but have a nicer bass quantity and quality over the s500's. I have about 40 hours on the s500's so they are not near the 200 hour burn in period recommended. Do the ath pleather pads change the sound dramatically compared to the stock s500's? 


What i hear  (my S500 has countless hours of use) is a bigger sound coming from the S500,   MH1C its more on the "bright" side, thin sound (not that much, a little thiner), the bass on the S500 bigger,  more clear sound comming from the Mh1C

 

i think they complement very well, a cheap fun sounding iem and a cheapo fun sounding headphone.


Edited by rickdohc - 12/3/12 at 11:29am
post #3433 of 8103
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyash View Post

sorry i dont have the blue hd25 pads
but from the looks of it, the hd25 pads holes are much smaller so they would give a on ear fit, whereas the ath pleathers provide a around ear fit for me (my ears arent too big though)
with the ath pleathers, i immediately noticed a big reduction in bass quantity
i then taped up all the ports and bass quantity returned to the amount with stock pads

Oh ok thanks.

Well, at the moment I'm using my Sony MDR-V55s and the stock pads there are on ear. They do feel really comfy as well.

So I think I'll get the blue HD25 pads anyways since they look much cooler than just black ATH pleathers.
post #3434 of 8103

.

post #3435 of 8103

I miss my S500. frown.gif Should had never sold it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.