Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread. - Page 224

post #3346 of 8117
Quote:
Originally Posted by henree View Post

I am confused do you already have the Hd25 and are inquiring about the s500? If so the S500 handles the lower regions of bass much better than the Hd25. TheHd25 is more about mid bass. Senny phones aren't known for sub bass.

No, I do not have the HD25.

I have had the S500, now I want to buy the HD25, but if the HD25 has less bass than the S500 than I won't buy it.

 

After a few reviews I'm gonna pass on the HD25-1. 

post #3347 of 8117
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post

Yes, this seems to be the case. I am pulling the trigger on white 770s today.

The problem of comfort and longeivity of 770s ( and any future model JVC will pack in the same cup/enclosure/design that first appeared as HA-M750 ) is interrelated. 

The linkages that allow for folding do not allow swiveling of the earcup - and if your skull bone structure does not fit the angles for HA-M759/HA-S770/etc exactly, you will expirience some sore point or sore line after wearing those for say more than half an hour. Depending on your skull form, it can be either the line in front of your ear or behind it. The steel headband is quite strong - perhaps you could try to bend/deform it a bit to adress this problem. 

As a consequence, plastic linkage pieces ( besides your skull ... ) are in such a case overstressed - and will fail eventually, as my HA-M750s did. Armed with this  hard learned knowledge, the incoming 770s will get steel band "custom bending" and plastic linkage reinforcement - prior to any listening.

Circumaural design of 750/770 should be much better than anything possible with HA-S500.

Things we do for sound ...lol !

for those wondering about the hs-770, check out their thread as one head fi member got one already

here is the initial description: Soundwise... interesting out of the box they don’t sound like the S500 at all. Less bass, less highs, good mids, and a more natural tone. Are these midcentric headphones? Too soon to tell, but it looks like it.
post #3348 of 8117
I just want to throw this out there: I was at Best Buy today and demoed a few headphones. I've heard people say the S500s are on par with $200 headphones. I listened to the ATH-A900Xs which were $300. Honestly, I'd rather have my S500s.
post #3349 of 8117
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post

No, I do not have the HD25.
I have had the S500, now I want to buy the HD25, but if the HD25 has less bass than the S500 than I won't buy it.

After a few reviews I'm gonna pass on the HD25-1. 
go find yourself a Mac store and try the Amperions which are the newest flavor of the HD 25s. I too found the S500 to have better Sub Bassand better balance but the Amperions had more airyness and staging.
post #3350 of 8117
I have the Amperiors, and a pair of S500's on the way, and my only complaint about the Amperiors is that the upper mids can become quite painfull after a while.
post #3351 of 8117
$40.26 shipped in the US for new ESW9 pads from AT USA. =o
Er, that can wait for now.
post #3352 of 8117
finally got mine delivered finally!

3 weeks from buyfromjapan
faster then the usualy 4 weeks ish using canada post
blame customs
post #3353 of 8117

Hey Guys, glad to see so many people loving these (as do I, they've become my go to work HPs).   One question I did have was how these are complemented by the V-Moda M-80s.  I pulled the trigger on a pair on Amazon today, but are they too similar (not asking which is "better" as that's really subjective, just wondering how the sound signatures compare and if I will notice any major difference between the two).  I can still cancel/return if its too much of a similar thing.

post #3354 of 8117
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBlord View Post

Hey Guys, glad to see so many people loving these (as do I, they've become my go to work HPs).   One question I did have was how these are complemented by the V-Moda M-80s.  I pulled the trigger on a pair on Amazon today, but are they too similar (not asking which is "better" as that's really subjective, just wondering how the sound signatures compare and if I will notice any major difference between the two).  I can still cancel/return if its too much of a similar thing.

M80 is more polite and bassier with clearer treble and better soundstaging. S500 has clearer mids, more resolving, and more forward but a bit thinner in sound. S500 isolates a bit more as well, so they differ. It is up to you which you should keep.
Or keep both. cool.gif
post #3355 of 8117
Quote:
Originally Posted by andkoppel View Post

We wish and JVC grants????

 

The first over ear nanotube headphone: JVC HA-S770B

 

http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=HA-S770-E&catid=100161
 

 
ha-s770e.jpg
 

Interesting. I have the HA-M750's and they look exactly like these.

I like the sound of the M750's. It's decent, but I can't wear them for long. Maybe an hour max? My ears start to hurt or get too sweaty.

Hopefully the S500's don't have this problem as that's going to suck.

 

 

Also, can someone comment on the sound isolation of the S500's. ie. if I go to the library/silent study and use the S500's will people hear my music?


Edited by goonda61 - 11/27/12 at 9:35pm
post #3356 of 8117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post


M80 is more polite and bassier with clearer treble and better soundstaging. S500 has clearer mids, more resolving, and more forward but a bit thinner in sound. S500 isolates a bit more as well, so they differ. It is up to you which you should keep.
Or keep both. cool.gif

Interesting, I'm surprised to hear the bassier comment, the S500s seemed to have deep bass to me.  I think I'll end up keeping both since they do seem to have different strengths, which is of course half the fun in this hobby =)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonda61 View Post

Interesting. I have the HA-M750's and they look exactly like these.

I like the sound of the M750's. It's decent, but I can't wear them for long. Maybe an hour max? My ears start to hurt or get too sweaty.

Hopefully the S500's don't have this problem as that's going to suck.

 

 

Also, can someone comment on the sound isolation of the S500's. ie. if I go to the library/silent study and use the S500's will people hear my music?

 

I work in an open office (read: cubes w/o walls and very little separation) and within reason (usually around 25-37% volume on my laptop) people more than a couple feet from me can't hear my music.  I think you should be fine!

post #3357 of 8117
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBlord View Post

Hey Guys, glad to see so many people loving these (as do I, they've become my go to work HPs).   One question I did have was how these are complemented by the V-Moda M-80s.  I pulled the trigger on a pair on Amazon today, but are they too similar (not asking which is "better" as that's really subjective, just wondering how the sound signatures compare and if I will notice any major difference between the two).  I can still cancel/return if its too much of a similar thing.

 

If you end up getting the M80s give us a comparison after you've burned them in! I'm curious to see how they compare smily_headphones1.gif

post #3358 of 8117
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyash View Post

finally got mine delivered finally!
3 weeks from buyfromjapan
faster then the usualy 4 weeks ish using canada post
blame customs

were there any custom fees? im still waiting for mine to come in, same seller.

post #3359 of 8117

I bought mine off ebay.  Paid shipping, but no customs fees

post #3360 of 8117

If these compare to the m80 in sound, i am most surely picking a pair up.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.