Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread. - Page 223

post #3331 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovis View Post

Thanks for the reply sfwalcer but that would make the headphones over-ear, i'd quite like to keep them on-ear so they stay very portable and don't look too silly :P

That's the point of this SS Lab pad, it makes the headphones look even better with the small oval shaped pad over them. Unlike the big old pads others have been using of late, these actually look like it was made for the S500/ S400s, fit as well as look. Match made in heaven, no hype.

 

700

 

^ And this pic is with the bigger paper towel stuffed AKG pads, which it fits over as well. So imagine it wrapping over the entire stock pads of your S500s. Looks/ comfort/ same/ improved sound you are getting from your S500s for $6-$8??? No brainer, i need to stock up on these damn pads. Too bad they don't just sell them, have to buy more of these crappy SS Lab headphones just for the pads. LoL

 

700

 

^ Here is a pic with it wrapped over the stock pads of the S500s, looks even better/ matches in real life.


Edited by sfwalcer - 11/26/12 at 5:28pm
post #3332 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post


I'm wrong, they're the perfect size: http://www.head-fi.org/t/347587/es7-and-esw9-ear-pads-interchangeable#post_4528073
You want 70mm earpads for S500.


I will then take ^^

post #3333 of 8148

where are these pads available?

post #3334 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by glunteer View Post

I will then take ^^
And with that I've shot AT USA a request for a quote on those ESW9 earpads. They rock.

On an unrelated note, I'm glad to see that the ES88 is coming to the US, I want to try it out.
post #3335 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyostrow View Post

where are these pads available?


Not sure if you are talking about the other pads, but the SS Lab HP pads has to be harvested off of the cheapo headphones and they come in/ out of stock "used" to "like new" for around $8 free ship over $25 on amazon.com But you can easily find them on ebay. Just offer the sellers like $8 to $9 shipped for the SS Lab Headphones. I wouldn't buy them for more then $10 tbh.

 

Alls you have to do after that is take the pads off of the SS Lap HPs and wrap it over the stock pads of the S500/S400s. They do fit like a glove so it takes some effort putting them on for the 1st time (so be gentle and don't rip them wink_face.gif). After that it should be easy as cake, it seems that the pads expands bigger the more you use them cuz my old sets is more cushy looking/ feeling where as my new set is more firm and stiff. So that's a plus. 

 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Sound+Storm+Laboratories+headphone+&_trksid=p5197.c0.m1950


Edited by sfwalcer - 11/26/12 at 8:53pm
post #3336 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by gideonMorrison View Post

No offense to the guy who posted this pic, but do they seriously look like this? Why would JVC design such a terrible shape. Might as well put a satellite on your head and pretend you're a looney. tongue.gif


The things we will do for sound quality...lol.
post #3337 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyash View Post

for the ones concerned about comfort, maybe look for the around ear version- jvc ha-s770
they're arund $20 more expensive and they fold inwards but not flat
seems like the same driver (not sure though)

Yes, this seems to be the case. I am pulling the trigger on white 770s today.

 

The problem of comfort and longeivity of 770s ( and any future model JVC will pack in the same cup/enclosure/design that first appeared as HA-M750 ) is interrelated. 

 

The linkages that allow for folding do not allow swiveling of the earcup - and if your skull bone structure does not fit the angles for HA-M759/HA-S770/etc exactly, you will expirience some sore point or sore line after wearing those for say more than half an hour. Depending on your skull form, it can be either the line in front of your ear or behind it. The steel headband is quite strong - perhaps you could try to bend/deform it a bit to adress this problem. 

 

As a consequence, plastic linkage pieces ( besides your skull ... ) are in such a case overstressed - and will fail eventually, as my HA-M750s did. Armed with this  hard learned knowledge, the incoming 770s will get steel band "custom bending" and plastic linkage reinforcement - prior to any listening.

 

Circumaural design of 750/770 should be much better than anything possible with HA-S500.

 

Things we do for sound ...lol !

post #3338 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post

Yes, this seems to be the case. I am pulling the trigger on white 770s today.

 

The problem of comfort and longeivity of 770s ( and any future model JVC will pack in the same cup/enclosure/design that first appeared as HA-M750 ) is interrelated. 

 

The linkages that allow for folding do not allow swiveling of the earcup - and if your skull bone structure does not fit the angles for HA-M759/HA-S770/etc exactly, you will expirience some sore point or sore line after wearing those for say more than half an hour. Depending on your skull form, it can be either the line in front of your ear or behind it. The steel headband is quite strong - perhaps you could try to bend/deform it a bit to adress this problem. 

 

As a consequence, plastic linkage pieces ( besides your skull ... ) are in such a case overstressed - and will fail eventually, as my HA-M750s did. Armed with this  hard learned knowledge, the incoming 770s will get steel band "custom bending" and plastic linkage reinforcement - prior to any listening.

 

Circumaural design of 750/770 should be much better than anything possible with HA-S500.

 

Things we do for sound ...lol !

Can't wait to see your earthquake proof mod of these S770s analogdude! popcorn.gif I want pics!!! LoL

post #3339 of 8148

Hey guys how do the s500's compare to the sony zx700's? As a note just got my s500 and out of box they sound not too great so they are now on burning duty.

post #3340 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

Ok so I have something to share with ya'll.  I discovered this little DAC and you guys can see some more impressions on how this sounds with iems and other headphones on the discovery thread but I figured since it is that time of the year that we all look for great gifts or a good deal on stuff I can't think of a better deal than one of these.

 

This is the Ele dac I have been using and yes with the HA-S500. It sounds wonderful. This little dac came to me as a complete surprise. You figure a simple dac like this will not make much of a difference. Oh was I wrong. This little dac which can be bought on ebay for a mere $18. Sounds unbelievable using the HA-S500. Not only the HA-S500 but everything sound great on it.

 

700

You want to hear even more detail in your music. Try one of these. And as always happy listening.


you think this dac can be better than my asus xonar dx?

 

 

 

------

 

me the chills listening to this on jvc... beyersmile.png

 

 


Edited by glunteer - 11/27/12 at 6:43am
post #3341 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by koreanzombie View Post

Hey guys how do the s500's compare to the sony zx700's? As a note just got my s500 and out of box they sound not too great so they are now on burning duty.

 

They should smoke the ZX700.  Burn them in.

post #3342 of 8148
Thread Starter 

@ glunteer. Someone else asked me that on the discovery thread and my answer to him was the same answer I will give you. I don't own the Xonar DX but I do own a Titanium HD and believe it or not this little unit is comparable in sound to the Titanium HD and the sound chip in that is a Burr brown PCM1794 a highly regarded dac chip. For a little $18 dac unit to complete with that in sound is remarkable.

 

Is it worth trying out? I think so..While this little dac is more geared toward guys that just use their on board sound on their computers. I can say guys with even nicer higher end dacs will be surprised by the sound on this.

post #3343 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

@ glunteer. Someone else asked me that on the discovery thread and my answer to him was the same answer I will give you. I don't own the Xonar DX but I do own a Titanium HD and believe it or not this little unit is comparable in sound to the Titanium HD and the sound chip in that is a Burr brown PCM1794 a highly regarded dac chip. For a little $18 dac unit to complete with that in sound is remarkable.

 

Is it worth trying out? I think so..While this little dac is more geared toward guys that just use their on board sound on their computers. I can say guys with even nicer higher end dacs will be surprised by the sound on this.

 



cool .. liked, in a month I'll get one to test :)

post #3344 of 8148

Ok after 4 hours of high volume burning these s500's, they have completely transformed already from out of the box. Cant wait for what is to come.

post #3345 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post

Is there any S500 owners here who also own the HD25-1?

I just need to know if the bass quantity on the HD25 is the same or more than the S500.

 

I'm thinking about buy it, but if it has less bass than the S500 I'll pass

I am confused do you already have the Hd25 and are inquiring about the s500? If so the S500 handles the lower regions of bass much better than the Hd25. TheHd25 is more about mid bass. Senny phones aren't known for sub bass.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.