Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread. - Page 185

post #2761 of 8136
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post

haha, it is doc, tape tape tape, re-wrap the pads, DONE!!! LoL

edit: almost didn't recognize you doc without your cowboi avatar. heeeeeee
Oh man you can't pry these S500s off my head even with a jack hammer, DAT big deep/ tight BASS + the entire full sound spectrum = audio nirvana

Firstly, you shouldnt talk to that Doc guy. He's not the same wonderful s500 loving guy that we all thought he was. Even changing his avatar isn't going to mask his treason lol!

Secondly, that mod doesn't look so difficult after all! How's it supposed to change the sound again?
post #2762 of 8136
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave View Post

Be interested to hear from anyone who has the incase sonic and the s500's and can compare them.  Recently got these and find them very enjoyable (and comfortable!).  I already have the brainwavz hm5's and they came with a spare set of pads, so could be an easy upgrade on the s500's (if anyone is still using those pads redface.gif)

 

Yeppp those HM5 pads are still the king of the pad-on-pod mod here. But the million dollar question is which pad would you put under them to get the sound you will love??? LoL

There are so many good options, you just have to know your sound signature preference. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post


Firstly, you shouldnt talk to that Doc guy. He's not the same wonderful s500 loving guy that we all thought he was. Even changing his avatar isn't going to mask his treason lol!
Secondly, that mod doesn't look so difficult after all! How's it supposed to change the sound again?

 

LoL, has he been bad mouthing the S500s on other threads now that he has got his other fancy shmancy expensive headphone$$$$s. Care to link me to what he wrote so curious now ahahahaha. Hey doc if you hate your S500s now, I will gladly buy it from you. biggrin.gif

 

Oh by taping the 3 open arch slots on the driver disk, it is supposed to bring back some of the bass that was loss due to changing to the AKG pads. I am sure the bass doesn't hit as hard/ big on your ATH pleathers compared to the stock pads on the S500s. Give it a try WAYNE to see if this will give you more bass on your ATH pleather S500 combo.

post #2763 of 8136
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave View Post

Be interested to hear from anyone who has the incase sonic and the s500's and can compare them.  

 

I would be curious to hear this too. I'm very happy with the S500's but I have a buddy that says I need to try the Incase Sonics.

post #2764 of 8136
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post

LoL, has he been bad mouthing the S500s on other threads now that he has got his other fancy shmancy expensive headphone$$$$s. Care to link me to what he wrote so curious now ahahahaha. Hey doc if you hate your S500s now, I will gladly buy it from you. biggrin.gif

I will gladly link you myself to the treasonous post. smily_headphones1.gif

The fancy smancy headphone in question here is the $60 dollar philips uptown......

edit: before you accuse me of being a traitor... make sure you read the OP on that thread. Still got love for the S500. Don't worry.
Edited by Doc-holliday - 11/2/12 at 12:18am
post #2765 of 8136
Thread Starter 

What? treachery!

700

Lets get a rope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #2766 of 8136
Ok so changing the pads opened the highs up. Taping the ports up will do the same for the lows by adding more warmth, body, depth, impact, all resulting in a more dimensional experience. The inner portion of the pads must be stuffed to passively close off the fabric covered ports. These simple mods will lead to a better headphone.
post #2767 of 8136
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post

 

Cyloh,  tried just the HM5 pads, sound is awesome......I am using 2.75" soft rubber O rings that fit in the groove to help keep them in place....I rolled some paper towel in an arc on the bottom and top inside of the pads for a little more of a snug fit.....works perfectly and sounds a little better than the AT velour with HM5 over....comfy fit!

 

Thanks for putting me on to it........yet another pad mod....will it ever end!

Like our Italian friends say : Alta fedelta, storia MAI finita .

 

Waiting for HM5 pads is killing me ...

post #2768 of 8136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post


I will gladly link you myself to the treasonous post. smily_headphones1.gif
The fancy smancy headphone in question here is the $60 dollar philips uptown......
edit: before you accuse me of being a traitor... make sure you read the OP on that thread. Still got love for the S500. Don't worry.

WoW thats a killer price for them uptowns. I tried them on at best buy really comfy phones, sound wise i could not judge, since the audio station there sucks. 

haha good to see you still got love for these S500s, although i only paid $47 for them shipped from jpn due to a price error, i can understand your take in the review regarding price/ comfort. If they come stateside i think it is gonna sell for around $50, just look at the crazy prices the S400s are selling for. C'mon JVC bring it!!!

 

Damn and i thought WAYNE got some juicy dirt on you ha, kinda disappointed heeeeee

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

What? treachery!

700

Lets get a rope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

haha lets do it just for funzies like how we flame doc for the heck of it LoL

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musubi1000 View Post

Ok so changing the pads opened the highs up. Taping the ports up will do the same for the lows by adding more warmth, body, depth, impact, all resulting in a more dimensional experience. The inner portion of the pads must be stuffed to passively close off the fabric covered ports. These simple mods will lead to a better headphone.

Yeppp seems to be the case, will try your mod in full in these coming days, but in the meanwhile liking the sound too much out of my S500s to mess with it.  beerchug.gif

post #2769 of 8136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post


I wasn't gunna say it but since you did.....
+1!
biggrin.gif

+2.

 

Considering so much hulaballoo over something ( the pads ) that can be completely avoided by a proper design ( AKG K 1000 ).  But admire all those who want to squeeze the "water out of the stone" - will be joining you soon.

post #2770 of 8136
Well I'm glad I haven't been completely banned from the official S500 thread at least smily_headphones1.gif

Tell me I am not the only one who immediately recognized the image in dsnuts' post above from an old Pace Picante Sauce commercial. "Get a rope" lol!
post #2771 of 8136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post


I will gladly link you myself to the treasonous post. smily_headphones1.gif
The fancy smancy headphone in question here is the $60 dollar philips uptown......
edit: before you accuse me of being a traitor... make sure you read the OP on that thread. Still got love for the S500. Don't worry.

Doc,

 

What if you got the S500's for less than $50 like many of us on here did?

post #2772 of 8136
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaardker View Post

Doc,

 

What if you got the S500's for less than $50 like many of us on here did?

Yup, $47.10 shipped is what I paid.

post #2773 of 8136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post


I will gladly link you myself to the treasonous post. smily_headphones1.gif
The fancy smancy headphone in question here is the $60 dollar philips uptown......
edit: before you accuse me of being a traitor... make sure you read the OP on that thread. Still got love for the S500. Don't worry.

 

Okay, I read your treason. Having owned the Uptowns as well, I will completely agree on comfort and price. Comfort is the big one for me. Controls... well, I'd rather not have them personally. 

 

Sound... well, there I think you're completely wrong. But that's okay, you're entitled to be wrong. beyersmile.png  The Uptowns are definitely more relaxed, to the point of sounding lifeless to me. The bass especially I found lacking. For my likes, the S500 mops the floor with them.

post #2774 of 8136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

 

I would be curious to hear this too. I'm very happy with the S500's but I have a buddy that says I need to try the Incase Sonics.

 

I own both. The Sonic is a fun headphone, but while I wouldn't call the S500 neutral, the Sonic is even less so. Very thumpy bass/mid-bass heavy. The bass isn't as detailed as the S500, but it really works well for some music. Mids are more recessed than the S500, but I like the sound. Plugged into the same source they sound like completely different EQ settings to me.

 

Of course, this is in contrast to some reviews I've read that said the Sonics have bass but not that much, so I kind of wonder if I got an oddball set or if my ears are way different from some other users. In comfort, the Sonic are far above the S500, and they have a removable cable which is nice.

 

I like both the S500 and Sonic better than Doc's Uptowns... tongue.gif

post #2775 of 8136
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwong View Post

The Uptowns are definitely more relaxed, to the point of sounding lifeless to me. The bass especially I found lacking. For my likes, the S500 mops the floor with them.

Well glad you are still enjoying the S500's.

That's interesting about the bass. Your's must be "broken" cuz i had to turn down the bass setting on my clip to A/B the two. Both phones have an emphasized mid-bass. Maybe you are a "basshead" and the S500 might be a tad more emphasized especially with stock pads?

Anyway I don't really want to try to convince anybody that one is better than the other. They are different sounds with the Downtown having better midrange presentation and more relaxed highs. They are different and I happen to like the differences in the Phillips a bit more than I LIKE the S500.

@baardker - Don't get me wrong I still think the S500 is a great buy but even for $50 I would chose the uptowns with all considered. Mind you many people have paid over $120 from bestbuy for the uptown and at that price I would say the S500 is for sure the better bang for your buck.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.