Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread. - Page 181

post #2701 of 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post

LoL, that looks like a interesting mod, where can you get these "rubber washers" from? Never seen it before........ Don't understand what you meant by "It's just a silver" care to elaborate???

 

An link would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

 

Great mod! By "it's just a sliver", he means that the washer is just making the opening smaller "by a sliver", but enough to change the sound back to being close to the sound of the stock pad.

 

Brilliant! What is the diameter of the outside of the washer, and the diameter of the inside of the washer?

 

Imagine all of the "different sized washer mods" that are going to come out of this one lol!

post #2702 of 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post

 

Great mod! By "it's just a sliver", he means that the washer is just making the opening smaller "by a sliver", but enough to change the sound back to being close to the sound of the stock pad.

 

Brilliant! What is the diameter of the outside of the washer, and the diameter of the inside of the washer?

 

Imagine all of the "different sized washer mods" that are going to come out of this one lol!

Thanks for explaining WAYNE.  I got it now.  beerchug.gif

 

edit: oh finally tried the AKG pads on these S500s, with some paper towel stuffing OMG, it makes the sound from my ipod classic/ nano sound so freaken AWESOME, perfect amount of bass/ clarity/ across the sound spectrum. Never going to go back to stock EVER again.


Edited by sfwalcer - 10/30/12 at 11:15pm
post #2703 of 8119

You may find rubber washers like this in a plumbing supply store.  I've got all kinds of parts for plumbing, electrical, etc., lying around, not sure what these were made for.  Probably plumbing parts of some sort, or irrigation valves.  I'll try to find out. 

 

The opening in the middle of the ATH pleathers is a few millimeters larger than the opening in the stock pads.  The difference is small, just a 'sliver', that's what I meant.  But it makes a big difference in the sound.  I figured if I could cover just that difference, it would sound more like the stock pads.  I haven't done a lot of AB'ing, I'm guessing it doesn't get all the bass back, but most of it.
 

post #2704 of 8119

I just got these in the mail today. I ordered them exactly 2 weeks ago from an ebay seller called "buyfromjapan" i believe. As I've never had good headphones (never had any headphones to be more specific), I can't really compare them to much except my audio system at home which cost significantly more than these, but generally I really like the sound. The bass is nice and deep with a little help from my phone's bass booster, and even without it its not bad at all. I don't know if it's just me but I feel like its lacking something...it might just be that when I'm used to listening bassier songs that the ground vibrates under me because of my sub....wish I could could get that from headphones lol

 

I think my only real complaint is that they do get uncomfortable for me after about an 30 minutes or so of use, but then again I've literally never owned headphones before so maybe its just a getting used to kind of thing.

post #2705 of 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavman View Post

I just got these in the mail today. I ordered them exactly 2 weeks ago from an ebay seller called "buyfromjapan" i believe. As I've never had good headphones (never had any headphones to be more specific), I can't really compare them to much except my audio system at home which cost significantly more than these, but generally I really like the sound. The bass is nice and deep with a little help from my phone's bass booster, and even without it its not bad at all. I don't know if it's just me but I feel like its lacking something...it might just be that when I'm used to listening bassier songs that the ground vibrates under me because of my sub....wish I could could get that from headphones lol

 

I think my only real complaint is that they do get uncomfortable for me after about an 30 minutes or so of use, but then again I've literally never owned headphones before so maybe its just a getting used to kind of thing.


No it's not just you or just getting used to kind of thing, the stock pads are not so great to say the least, comfort AND sound wise. But there are lots of pad mods/ replacements that would make these sound a million times better.  The ATH Pleather/ AKG pads I believe makes these S500s as well as the S400s sound the best.  Links if you need it, the ATH Pleathers are the most comfy besides velours..........

 

ATH Pleathers:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ear-Pads-Audio-Technica-ATH-SJ5-DJ-Style-Headphones-Black-/261120868931?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D3123184649684698189%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D251141456324%26

 

AKG DJs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-New-Replacement-earpad-AKG-K518DJ-Leather-ear-pad-/261110634277?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D3123209210757302410%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D261079367853%26

 

AND Doc's fav HD25's:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/357361-REG/Sennheiser_075527_H_75527_Ear_Cushions.html

 

All 3 above sound the best it seems, although I have yet to try the ATH or the HD25.....

 

Oh bavman, go burn those new S500s of yours real good, a good 24hours makes a HUGE different in sound from open box, well for me at least it did...... cuz after some burn in, everything you felt lacking now is gonna come together, and esp if you get those ATH or AKG pads man these things sound amazing.  


Edited by sfwalcer - 10/30/12 at 11:31pm
post #2706 of 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post

Brilliant! What is the diameter of the outside of the washer, and the diameter of the inside of the washer?

OD is 1-11/16", ID is 1-3/8".  Sorry, couldn't find my metric ruler.

 

Thickness is 1/8".  1/16" would be better, 1/8" is enough to raise the pad enough so I can feel it just a little bit.  Next time I'm at a hardware store I'll look for something thinner.

 

It being rubber keeps it from moving around.  

post #2707 of 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post

OD is 1-11/16", ID is 1-3/8".  Sorry, couldn't find my metric ruler.

 

Thickness is 1/8".  1/16" would be better, 1/8" is enough to raise the pad enough so I can feel it just a little bit.  Next time I'm at a hardware store I'll look for something thinner.

 

It being rubber keeps it from moving around.  

 

Awesome. I was curious to see how the stock pads sound now that I've burned in these babies quite a bit, but I think I'll just try your mod instead. Thanks!

post #2708 of 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post

-snip-

Thanks for the links man, I'll definitely give them a look. As for burning them in I've read that all over this forum so I've been running itunes and have having them play under my sheets while I study, but its probably been only a couple hours because I'm not very patient and wanted to use them redface.gif. I guess I'll let them go overnight too and see how they are later tomorrow.

post #2709 of 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavman View Post

Thanks for the links man, I'll definitely give them a look. As for burning them in I've read that all over this forum so I've been running itunes and have having them play under my sheets while I study, but its probably been only a couple hours because I'm not very patient and wanted to use them redface.gif. I guess I'll let them go overnight too and see how they are later tomorrow.


No problem meng, beat them drivers down to submission with lots of bass heavy music at 90% to max volume, these drivers loves a good beat down. basshead.gif

post #2710 of 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post

Gee are you seriously getting rid of that clip? I was serious about trading for it if you don't want it. PM me if you are letting it go.

I'm seriously considering it but not 100% made my mind up yet but I'll let you know either way.
post #2711 of 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post

Here's a solution I came up with.  I agree with some that the ATH pleathers are way more comfortable than the stock pads, but cut out too much bass.  It makes the sound 'thin' to my ears.  I had two rubber washers lying around that fit just inside the ATH pads and covers the area that the ATH leaves exposed and the stock pads cover.  The ATH pads have slightly larger opening than the stock pads.  It's just a sliver, but it's what makes the difference. The bass is back when I use these washers.  Here's a photo showing one earpiece with the rubber washer in place (the one on the bottom), the other just the ATH pad.  Sorry about the photo quality, I don't have a good camera on hand.  I'll see if I can get a better image tomorrow.


Ah nice! biggrin.gif

Yeah, I'm going against the grain here but as I said, and as you have also said above, the ATH pleathers cut out too much bass for me and I agree with you; It makes them sound thin to my ears also. I think I'm one of only a few who prefer stock sound lol. Obviously I like my bass too much!
post #2712 of 8119

hehe a funny turn this thread has taken. dsnuts went from a stock to pleathers as ds felt that the stock had a small opening that was not allowing the 500 to perform well. now a lot of pages later, ppl are trying to plug the opening a bit back to the stock opening dia to get the bass back :D

 

it leads me to a question in my head. If you are cutting the opening using a washer to get the bass back, is it not like making the pleathers behave like the stock pad.When doing so, is there any difference in the sounds between a pleather with a smaller opeing and a stock pad?


Edited by marcusgratus - 10/31/12 at 4:14am
post #2713 of 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusgratus View Post

hehe a funny turn this thread has taken. dsnuts went from a stock to pleathers as ds felt that the stock had a small opening that was not allowing the 500 to perform well. now a lot of pages later, ppl are trying to plug the opening a bit back to the stock opening dia to get the bass back :D

 

it leads me to a question in my head. If you are cutting the opening using a washer to get the bass back, is it not like making the pleathers behave like the stock pad.When doing so, is there any difference in the sounds between a pleather with a smaller opeing and a stock pad?

People starting switching pads because the stock ones are so uncomfortable.  The changes in sound were a side-effect.  Some people liked the side-effect, some didn't.  Better comfort plus original sound of stock pads = win for some of us.

post #2714 of 8119

So birdman,  are you enyoing your S500?
 

post #2715 of 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post

People starting switching pads because the stock ones are so uncomfortable.  The changes in sound were a side-effect.  Some people liked the side-effect, some didn't.  Better comfort plus original sound of stock pads = win for some of us.

 

I would have to respectfully diagree. people switched pads at first not because of comfort but to try and get better sound ^^
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.