Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread. - Page 151

post #2251 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by koreanzombie View Post

Hi Dsnuts, how would the s500 stack up against the sony mdr-zx700 as there in the similar price range at the moment. Thanks.

 

I'm not Dsnuts, but since I own the s500 and the mdr-zx701 (same as 700 but with mic/iphone controls) I'll chime in briefly. In short, the Sony is MUCH more comfortable and sounds very good, but the S500 sound quality is better. More definition, more bass punch. The Sony sounds more recessed to me. But if I need to listen for a long time, the Sony's win out, especially with the 8400 pads I put on them.

post #2252 of 8148

http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/693223/

 

 

 

Thanks for that, just wanted to know about the sound  quality as the sonys are rated highly.

post #2253 of 8148
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwong View Post

 

I'm not Dsnuts, but since I own the s500 and the mdr-zx701 (same as 700 but with mic/iphone controls) I'll chime in briefly. In short, the Sony is MUCH more comfortable and sounds very good, but the S500 sound quality is better. More definition, more bass punch. The Sony sounds more recessed to me. But if I need to listen for a long time, the Sony's win out, especially with the 8400 pads I put on them.


Agreed. I just got a new UE6000 and the sound signature on the UE6000 is similar to the ZX700 but much more refined..Sony has a tendency to roll off some highs to make the sound on the smooth side. So easier listening. What you get out of the HA-S500 is detail you won't get on the Sony's..Sound definition is very nice on the HA-S500.


Edited by Dsnuts - 10/13/12 at 9:42am
post #2254 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by koreanzombie View Post

 

Thanks for that, just wanted to know about the sound  quality as the sonys are rated highly.

 

Hey zombie, where did you get that chart from?

post #2255 of 8148

So tempting to pick up a pair of s500's haha..Decisions decisions..

post #2256 of 8148


http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-104-portable-headphones-reviewed-klipsch-image-one-added-10-02-12

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post

 

Hey zombie, where did you get that chart from?

 

 
post #2257 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by koreanzombie View Post

[IMG]http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/693223/flags/LL[/IM Thanks for that, just wanted to know about the sound  quality as the sonys are rated highly.


IMO the s500 will get a 8 point in sound, easy. They sound way better than the htf600. Problem is that they are gonna get big hit in comfort so it will rank with high 7's.

IMHO
post #2258 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdohc View Post


IMO the s500 will get a 8 point in sound, easy. They sound way better than the htf600. Problem is that they are gonna get big hit in comfort so it will rank with high 7's.
IMHO

If that reviewer tries them he will most likely say they have too much bass.

And I don't know why you and some other people find them uncomfortable. I even wear glasses with them just fine. smile.gif My only issue with them was sweaty ear syndrome with the stock pads....easily remedied by the HD25 velours.

post #2259 of 8148
post #2260 of 8148

Sorry if this has already been answered, but how do these compare to the ATH-WS55's? I was pretty set on those, but then I found this thread and I'm undecided again. I like the aesthetics of the WS55's a lot more but these seem like they're better bang for your buck.

post #2261 of 8148
Thread Starter 

WS55s have a good balanced sound for a bass emphasized can, but these came out and shows them up. The WS55 has a bit more mid bass but the sub bass on carbon nanotube headphones have better quality imo. A much higher end sound on the HA-S500 for the same amount of cash actually.. I have both. Go for the HA-S500. A better buy imo. I loved my WS55. However truth be told,  those are chilling by themselves on the wall. They just don't get the time anymore because of these HA-S500..Sad but true.

 

Now for the new WS77 and the WS99. We will see how those turn out but for now. I recommend these to everyone that is a fan of great sound for your bucks. These are one of the few cans that you truly get your monies worth and then some.  With other pads the sound quality gets even better which I can't say about my WS55.

post #2262 of 8148

Unkle, looks like I got the Blue edition of your setup,

Officially a Clipper and a JVCHD25PP'er:


http://i.imgur.com/BTQ0F.jpg


Edited by kevo108 - 10/13/12 at 8:16pm
post #2263 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

WS55s have a good balanced sound for a bass emphasized can, but these came out and shows them up. The WS55 has a bit more mid bass but the sub bass on carbon nanotube headphones have better quality imo. A much higher end sound on the HA-S500 for the same amount of cash actually.. I have both. Go for the HA-S500. A better buy imo. I loved my WS55. However truth be told,  those are chilling by themselves on the wall. They just don't get the time anymore because of these HA-S500..Sad but true.

 

Now for the new WS77 and the WS99. We will see how those turn out but for now. I recommend these to everyone that is a fan of great sound for your bucks. These are one of the few cans that you truly get your monies worth and then some.  With other pads the sound quality gets even better which I can't say about my WS55.


How easy would it be to paint the metallic part of the HA-S500's? Sorry if that's a silly question. If I got those, I'd wanna give em some pop somehow.

post #2264 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo108 View Post

Unkle, looks like I got the Blue edition of your setup,
Officially a Clipper and a JVCHD25PP'er:

BTQ0F.jpg

Nice setup! Welcome to the club. U just made me decide to get me a blue clip to match my blues....
post #2265 of 8148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post

Sorry if this has already been answered, but how do these compare to the ATH-WS55's? I was pretty set on those, but then I found this thread and I'm undecided again. I like the aesthetics of the WS55's a lot more but these seem like they're better bang for your buck.

Your answer is below......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

I think the WS55 has more bass overall, but next to the S500, it sounds veiled, almost muffled....mids and highs are more prominent in the S500, so it has a much more balanced sound. (at least to my ears).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.