Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread. - Page 131

post #1951 of 8109
Quote:
Originally Posted by glunteer View Post

finally got my headphone!! impressive quality of it ... in all items completely destroyed my Bose QC2!!

I will now begin the process of burn-in, which song do you recommend?

 

 

http://www.bassdrive.com/v2/

 

 

Choose something with good SQ and let them playing day and night.

post #1952 of 8109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post


Aurvana's are good headphones especially when bought for the sale price of $60 or so. But in all honesty the drivers in the HA-S500 are superior..I only wish the Ha-S500 had bigger cups like the Aurvana lives but the most important part of the headphones win here which is the sound.

 

Over all detail is better over the Aurvana lives. Especially in the bass end. Aurvana lives bass end can sound somewhat flabby if not grainy on low bass tracks. Not so on the HA-S500. Overall I would say the sound is tighter, cleaner. I think where the Aurvanas win is the housing design as they are over ears. But a simple pad change fixes the on ear issues. I do hope JVC brings these great headphones to the Western world.

 

Aurvana Live Graphics

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/CreativeAurvana.pdf

post #1953 of 8109
Does anyone remember which page there was a post with roundup of most pads tested here? like to see also added the blue pads smily_headphones1.gif
post #1954 of 8109
Quote:
Originally Posted by rG-tom View Post

who has them other than us two pal?

are yours gunmetal or black? I can't tell. Mine are black

We are the only two with blue One other guy has black hd25 pleather. I agree with u that those pads do wonders for the mids so ive been trying to get others to try em.

This fine gentleman to be exact:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaardker View Post

Gotta disagree on the HD25 velours. For me mids and highs are noticeably recessed. The bass is there but not quite as impactful. Switching to the HD25 Pleathers I was suddenly reminded of how much I was missing with the velours. The veil was lifted back off of the sound. I miss the comfort of the velours, but with the HD25 pleather I can still wear for 4-5 hours without any pain, they just get a little warm.

Edited by Doc-holliday - 10/3/12 at 11:37am
post #1955 of 8109

I finally read through the entire thread!  You guys definitely made it hard with your constant praises for the S500!

 

I'm considering this, but am fairly new to the scene.  I do have an M50s and an AKG K550 (recently obtained the K550 and am about to get rid of the M50s), and from what I've read this mops the floor with the M50s, but how do these compare to the K550?

post #1956 of 8109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post


I would love to be able to give them a message about how they should use a new PAD for these headphones. Just from changing out 5 different pad configurations. The pads from the ATH- SJ5 ends up making these sound even better. Almost too good to believe actually. The stock pads seems to work for the HA-S400 but the HA-S500 definitely benefit from wider pads. Thanks for your work Tyll. I have enjoyed so many of your reviews..The ultrasone edition 10 being the best. Perhaps the best video review I have ever seen. Check this out guys.

 

Thank goodness these HA-S500 don't make you cringe like this. Lol!. Love this.

 

Thanks Dsnuts!

Tyll - that was beautiful beerchug.gif

post #1957 of 8109
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdohc View Post

i am posting the ATH M50 Frecuency Graph just for reference and opinions.  seems its exactly how they sounded to me, less bass.

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHM50B2012.pdf

 

There's two ATH M50 graphcs on Innerfidelity. Here's the other one:

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHM50.pdf

 

Been wondering which one applies to the newer version. 

post #1958 of 8109
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

 

There's two ATH M50 graphcs on Innerfidelity. Here's the other one:

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHM50.pdf

 

Been wondering which one applies to the newer version. 

 

The first link says M50B2012, so maybe that one?

post #1959 of 8109
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

 

There's two ATH M50 graphcs on Innerfidelity. Here's the other one:

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHM50.pdf

 

Been wondering which one applies to the newer version. 


maybe the one with the title B2012

post #1960 of 8109
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrgrr View Post

 

I'm not sure that anyone said mids are recessed?

 

The frequency response shows recessed areas and those of emphasis. In this case, compared to most FR's, they are average, probably above average. 

 

The 30Hz square wave is best for looking at bass and midrange performance. In this case the line is sagging which indicates a slightly loose bass response (ideal is a straight line), and declines a touch quickly which indicates a little lack of bass extension (ideal is a small downward slope).

 

The 300Hz square wave is best for looking at highs and mids. In this case it looks mostly nice (ideal is a straight horizontal line) it lacks any initial spike which would indicate somewhat lacking treble response. The hump towards the end would indicate midrange emphasis.

 

%THD+noise (harmonic distortion) looks pretty good, outstanding performers usually stick about to the .1% line, so the 1% low frequency distortion is undesirable.

 

More info on Square Wave Response at Innerfidelity.

Criticism of my interpretation is welcome!

...

Amen


Thanks again man, just spent some time reading about Square Wave, i still need more time reading but i got a better idea.

post #1961 of 8109
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by battousai View Post

I finally read through the entire thread!  You guys definitely made it hard with your constant praises for the S500!

 

I'm considering this, but am fairly new to the scene.  I do have an M50s and an AKG K550 (recently obtained the K550 and am about to get rid of the M50s), and from what I've read this mops the floor with the M50s, but how do these compare to the K550?


Well I hope a $300 headphone beats out a $55 one. It better right. What makes these worth getting. It is one of the best headphones in sound quality for anything under a $100. I would even venture to say even $150 plus cans.. But only cost $55. There are advantages of full sized headphones and bigger drivers/ cups. I don't know how these HA-S500 would stack up against your K550. But I do know they sound amazing and has the ability to satisfy most if not all of us so far in this thread. Including one Tyll Hertsens. The only complaint really being the on ear thing. A problem remedied through other pads. I think I can speak for the collective here. These are very great headphones which don't come around for this type of price. These don't cost $200 or $300 but they sound and perform like a higher end headphone in my book. 

 

I said this before and I will say it again. It will not surprise me if these take over your favorites. 


Edited by Dsnuts - 10/3/12 at 4:18pm
post #1962 of 8109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post


Well I hope a $300 headphone beats out a $55 one. It better right. What makes these worth getting. It is one of the best headphones in sound quality for anything under a $100. I would even venture to say even $150 plus cans.. But only cost $55. There are advantages of full sized headphones and bigger drivers/ cups. I don't know how these HA-S500 would stack up against your K550. But I do know they sound amazing and has the ability to satisfy most if not all of us so far in this thread. Including one Tyll Henderson. The only complaint really being the on ear thing. A problem remedied through other pads. I think I can speak for the collective here. These are very great headphones which don't come around for this type of price. These don't cost $200 or $300 but they sound and perform like a higher end headphone in my book. 

 

I said this before and I will say it again. It will not surprise me if these take over your favorites. 

 

Thanks for the quick response.  I was just wondering because some people have compared the S500 to full size headphones and am waiting to hear how they compare to the K550.  I do like the K550's sound signature a lot, so knowing that, should I veer towards the S500 with AT leathers or the S400?

 

Also, I'm highly considering getting the Fire Phoenix DAC, but that may have to come later down the road. 

post #1963 of 8109
Thread Starter 

That is the million dollar question. Which one would be better for you. The HA-S400 or the HA-S500. I am still waiting on my pair but from what the guys that own them say. Those should be even a better value as they are even cheaper. If you want to just try one of these headphones out you can go HA-S400 or spend a bit more plus pads for a HA-S500. I should have my pair in a week or so. I will certainly post impressions of them when I get them. I think either way you will be surprised by their sound. So far the word is the HA-S400 has less bass and maybe more mids. But that is what happens when you add the ATH pleathers to the HA-S500.. The HA-S400 can be had for much cheaper however.

 

Fire Phoenix is to the DAC world what the HA-S500 is to headphones. The sound that comes out of this box is shockingly great. The guts of this DAC is pure gold. I would love to hear the $800 Marantz Dac that has this same chip to compare to. It wouldn't surprise me if the sounds are very much the same.

post #1964 of 8109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

That is the million dollar question. Which one would be better for you. The HA-S400 or the HA-S500. I am still waiting on my pair but from what the guys that own them say. Those should be even a better value as they are even cheaper. If you want to just try one of these headphones out you can go HA-S400 or spend a bit more plus pads for a HA-S500. I should have my pair in a week or so. I will certainly post impressions of them when I get them. I think either way you will be surprised by their sound. So far the word is the HA-S400 has less bass and maybe more mids. But that is what happens when you add the ATH pleathers to the HA-S500.. The HA-S400 can be had for much cheaper however.

 

Fire Phoenix is to the DAC world what the HA-S500 is to headphones. The sound that comes out of this box is shockingly great. The guts of this DAC is pure gold. I would love to hear the $800 Marantz Dac that has this same chip to compare to. It wouldn't surprise me if the sounds are very much the same.


These Marantz, uses the same CS4398  (yea.. whe know, it also depends on quality of constuction)

 

http://www.whathifi.com/review/marantz-cd6003

http://www.hifigear.co.uk/media/uploads/CD6003_infosheet_en.pdf

post #1965 of 8109
Thot I would post it here before the I stick this on the deals thread. Anyone still lookin for a Clip 8gb? 32 dollars refurb newegg. Free ship.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855125187

I got one. The 4gb one I got for $20 from tigerdirect came up as "backordered". I called and told them I wanted a full refund and to send back the 8gb card I got for 4 bucks. They gave me full refund and said just keep the card cuz it would cost them almost that much to ship it back. Good service. Anyway, if anyone is in the market I'll be putting it on the deals thread a bit later.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.