Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread. - Page 77

post #1141 of 8117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Simpson View Post

This is a noob question but just let's say my laptop/PC comes with standard sound card. Does a DAC replace it as the primary source? 

 

Yep. In order for digital music and other digital audio to be played on headphones or speakers, it has to be converted to analog (DAC="digital to analog converter"). All sound cards have a DAC built in. When you hook up an external DAC with a headphone amp like the Fire Phoenix, Windows streams all the digital audio to the external DAC for conversion, and it will show up as a sound device in the Windows Control Panel. 

post #1142 of 8117
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

 

Yep. In order for digital music and other digital audio to be played on headphones or speakers, it has to be converted to analog (DAC="digital to analog converter"). All sound cards have a DAC built in. When you hook up an external DAC with a headphone amp like the Fire Phoenix, Windows streams all the digital audio to the external DAC for conversion, and it will show up as a sound device in the Windows Control Panel. 

Thanks for the explanation normal_smile%20.gif

post #1143 of 8117
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post

Damn I wish the Fire Phoenix dac was a portable. LoL Hey Dsnuts can you post some pics of the usb connection from your lappy to that dac/ the back view instead of the front? So all you have to do is use a usb cable to connect from one of the usb ports on your computer to the dac to get audio??? Kinda confused cuz never used usb for audio before so.... Oh and I noticed that the back of Fire Phoenix has lots of connections for lots of different sources, I wanna ask if anyone knows if you can connect it to your ipod/ mp3 player's 3.5mm audio jack via a cable like this and plug it into the 2 RCA plugs ie;the red/ while round ports of the dac???

 

Thanks! 

Well your pic there top right corner has all the info you need. It has Coax, optical, USB in to the DAC. RCA out. Headphone out in front. It is a simple set up and not a portable set up but it more than makes up for this with big power and one of the best clean detailed well rounded sounds I have heard for anything. It am listening to it with my Sennheiser HD595 this morning. I don't feel it is all that much different than using my HA-S500 with the dac which is a surprise to me.. I am still in the process of burning in the DAC I got a good 24 hours of use. I read new DACs need at least 50 -100 hours for the chips to be on full bore. I am all about it.. It is cheap but sounds like I have a wall of audio equipment in front of me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gikigill View Post

I will be standing next to you screaming:

 

You need a DAC now..

You need a DAC now..

 

Anyways thank you Dsnuts for the DAC discovery. I will be getting the iBasso PB2+DB2 combo soon and do a comparo with the FX40 and the S500.

 

Would be interesting if this $100 David stands up against the $500 Goliath.

 

This one is all Kiteki. I am but a humble noob when it comes to DACs so I let my friends find these gems for me. That is why headfi rules the planet. Make friends with a Japanese Hottie and you end up getting a $90 DAC that sounds like a $1000 one. Lol! The hobby is all too rewarding when you can get such deals on stuff and end up sounding like they do.. I am waiting for more seasoned vets with DACs to try the fire phoenix out to see how these stack up with the more expensive ones myself...I will tell everyone one thing. This DAC sounds nothing like what you can expect from a $90 DAC. Nothing at all.

post #1144 of 8117
Thread Starter 

Here you go. Simple as this.

post #1145 of 8117

angry_face.gif
 

post #1146 of 8117
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post

Damn I wish the Fire Phoenix dac was a portable. 

 

Thanks! 

 

If you're fine paying 2.5x as much (or 2x used) you might want to look into the Dragonfly - http://www.head-fi.org/t/617241/audioquest-dragonfly-review-affordable-outstanding-tiny-dac-amp.  It uses the Sabre 9023 which tends to be found in desktop variants around the $500 mark.  Size of a usb stick, drives 150 mw @ 32 ohms, and I've had great results with my S500.  In general it's a game changer, performs better than most outboard portable units, and overall I prefer it for most things over my ODAC/O2 combo.

 

I wouldn't buy it just for the S500 of course, but if you have various IEMs/cans that you like to take on the road it's great.


Edited by bobeau - 9/10/12 at 10:32am
post #1147 of 8117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post
This one is all Kiteki. I am but a humble noob when it comes to DACs so I let my friends find these gems for me. That is why headfi rules the planet. Make friends with a Japanese Hottie and you end up getting a $90 DAC that sounds like a $1000 one. Lol! The hobby is all too rewarding when you can get such deals on stuff and end up sounding like they do.. I am waiting for more seasoned vets with DACs to try the fire phoenix out to see how these stack up with the more expensive ones myself...I will tell everyone one thing. This DAC sounds nothing like what you can expect from a $90 DAC. Nothing at all.

 

haha and we have confirmation Kiteki is a smoking hot Japanese girl.  I am sorry that I ever doubted. LoL

 

Thanks Dsnuts for the response and the pic, looks sweet and might have to get a set of these.  I wonder how they will sound just from a mp3 player as the source connected via the 2 RCA plugs to the dac? hmmmmm pretty versatile dac cuz of all them different plug options, nice!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeau View Post

 

If you're fine paying 2.5x as much (or 2x used) you might want to look into the Dragonfly - http://www.head-fi.org/t/617241/audioquest-dragonfly-review-affordable-outstanding-tiny-dac-amp.  It uses the Sabre 9023 which tends to be found in desktop variants around the $500 mark.  Size of a usb stick, drives 150 mw @ 32 ohms, and I've had great results with my S500.  In general it's a game changer, performs better than most outboard portable units, and overall I prefer it for most things over my ODAC/O2 combo.

 

I wouldn't buy it just for the S500 of course, but if you have various IEMs/cans that you like to take on the road it's great.

 

Oh man that Dragonfly is crazy looking for it's small size, but damn for ~$250?!!! I am sure it's worth it cuz it's so portable, but the Fire Phoenix is a lot more versatile and cheaper.  Thanks bobeau for the heads-up on this little beast. 

post #1148 of 8117
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer 

Thanks Dsnuts for the response and the pic, looks sweet and might have to get a set of these.  I wonder how they will sound just from a mp3 player as the source connected via the 2 RCA plugs to the dac? hmmmmm pretty versatile dac cuz of all them different plug options, 

The RCA ports are most likely outputs not inputs.

post #1149 of 8117
Thread Starter 

Well here is what will set you back it is RCA out. To speakers. The inputs are optical, coax, and usb. I wish it had a simple 3.5 in as well but alas it does not. So more stationary type box than portable. I think the E17 is versatile like that. But I have doubts the E17 will out perform the sound that is coming out of the Fire Phoenix.

post #1150 of 8117

@Dsnuts,

 

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to plug in an iPod using the sync cable via the usb port?

post #1151 of 8117
Thread Starter 

Hmm that is a good question. I don't own an ipod but as long as there is music that goes into the USB I can't see why that wouldn't work.. That is perhaps the one part of this DAC that had me thinking why they couldn't have a simple 3.5mm in for all modern DAPs and cell phones even. But I suppose there are other devices that will do just that. This box was clearly made for computers/media players in mind..So for the time being it has enhanced my listening experience which was the whole idea so in that regard I am loving the sound that is coming out of this box..Kiteki has told me this is the cheapest DAC with the cirrus logic CS4398 chip  in it. The sound is supposed to be comparable to much higher end DACs. I can't argue with that.  I can change out Op amps for a nicer one to get even better sound but for now I am just enjoying this nice little upgrade.

 

I think if your interested in the answer there will be a few more others that will get this DAC. Eventually your question will be answered on the Fire Phoenix thread. Keep tabs on that thread.


Edited by Dsnuts - 9/10/12 at 1:19pm
post #1152 of 8117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

Hmm that is a good question. I don't own an ipod but as long as there is music that goes into the USB I can't see why that wouldn't work.. That is perhaps the one part of this DAC that had me thinking why they couldn't have a simple 3.5mm in for all modern DAPs and cell phones even. But I suppose there are other devices that will do just that. This box was clearly made for computers/media players in mind..So for the time being it has enhanced my listening experience which was the whole idea so in that regard I am loving the sound that is coming out of this box..Kiteki has told me this is the cheapest DAC with the cirrus logic CS4398 chip  in it. The sound is supposed to be comparable to much higher end DACs. I can't argue with that.  I can change out Op amps for a nicer one to get even better sound but for now I am just enjoying this nice little upgrade.

 

I think if your interested in the answer there will be a few more others that will get this DAC. Eventually your question will be answered on the Fire Phoenix thread. Keep tabs on that thread.

Thanks. Subscribed to the fire phoenix thread and will ask over there once more people receive theirs.

post #1153 of 8117
post #1154 of 8117

hmmmmm RCA out huh, hey you'll think this optical male to 3.5mm female adapter will fly??? It looks like it might work since it gives you a 3.5mm plug for your mp3 players, man if it does SWEET!!! 

 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I97H68/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&smid=A3ADD0VY2RAMB4

 

post #1155 of 8117
Thread Starter 

That is just an adapter for a mini optical to regular optical. Not what you think it is. Though that is a great idea. Nice pic Archmedisdead.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.