Im planning on upgrading my ath-m50's soon, my budget would be around 300 dollars. I listen mostly to rock like green day, audioslave, guns and roses, etc. I personally don't feel the ath-m50 does well in rock because when I compared them to my sennheiser ie60's and it just sounded overall worse. The vocals sounded more clear in the ie60 and the instruments were much more alive. The guitar sounded much better in the ie60 and the most notable difference were the drums. When listening to the ie60, The drums were loud and had a lot of impact and when I listened to my m50, I could barely hear the drums. Which closed headphone around 300 dollars would suit me better and be an improvement over the m50? I dont care if its over the ear or on ear either one is good for me.
- productAKG K 550tagged by System, 8/6/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 3/1/13
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 8/6/12
- productbeyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphonestagged by System, 8/6/12
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 8/6/12
- productFiiO E11tagged by System, 8/6/12
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF-2 Headphonestagged by System, 8/6/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 8/6/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 8/6/12
- productIE 60 - Audiophile Grade Hi-Fi Sound Isolating In Ear Earphonestagged by System, 8/6/12More
- productKRK KNS8400 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 8/6/12
- productShure SRH1440 Professional Open Back Headphonestagged by System, 8/6/12
- productShure SRH 940tagged by System, 8/6/12
- productUltrasone HFI-780tagged by System, 8/6/12
- productUltrasone PRO 750tagged by System, 8/6/12
- productUltrasone PRO 900tagged by System, 8/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Advice: Upgrading from ATH-M50 Last post on 9/7/12 at 11:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- whats the best closed cans head phones Last post on 6/2/15 at 7:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Your advice on a new headphone Last post on 3/21/13 at 12:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
Back in March, I received the Zens from Lee of Venture Electronics in exchange for my honest impressions. I was a bit hesitant because I have never enjoyed earbuds, and that bias had me a bit...
I have owned my Audeze LCD 3f for about one year and have enjoyed the headphone immensely. The one thing that bothered me about the LCD 3 was the fact that they just seem to always be slightly...
-- The RBH EP3 is a brand new model succeeding the EP1 & EP2. ~ All photos were taken by me, no stock pictures from the manufacturer were used ~ *Packaging* Simple Box, but...
In 2012 Burson Audio introduced the Musician Series of headphone amplifiers that brought significant technical enhancements to their popular classic HA-160 line. Acknowledging that even the best...
Audio Technica has a long history of making wood-cupped headphones, both in limited edition and production models. The W2002, their first famous limited edition model, is now a highly...
Good ath-m50 replacement.post #1 of 377/31/12 at 4:10pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 377/31/12 at 5:01pmThread Starterpost #3 of 377/31/12 at 5:15pmpost #4 of 377/31/12 at 6:28pmpost #5 of 378/1/12 at 7:22ampost #6 of 378/1/12 at 9:21ampost #7 of 378/1/12 at 2:13pmThread StarterQuote:
thanks, do you think the ultrasone pro 750 will be good for rock or mainly for electronic music due to the bass? Also, are they aggressive headphones cause I dislike headphones which are calmer or laid backpost #8 of 378/1/12 at 2:23pmQuote:
Yes-- & laid back is one thing that the Pro 750 is not.post #9 of 378/1/12 at 2:26pmpost #10 of 378/1/12 at 2:29pmThread Starterpost #11 of 378/1/12 at 2:35pmQuote:
The 900 is a basshead can. If that's what you want, it is a good (and expensive) one.post #12 of 378/1/12 at 4:22pmThread StarterQuote:
will a fiio e11 make the pro 900 sound good? Will they sound at their full potential or would I need a better amp for that?post #13 of 378/1/12 at 4:51pm
I don't think the PRO750 or 900 are the best choice for your taste in music. It will be more "clear" sounding and also more lively than the M50 but guitar/acoustic instruments sound weird (metallic/peaky) on the Ultrasones to me. And to dismiss the 900 as just a basshead can in comparison to the 750 is a mistake, the 900 is an upgrade in everyway to me ( I liked the 900 and got the 750 after a gave my 900s away and thought they were nothing special). Oh and I didnt think they really needed a powerful amp so the e11 should be enough.post #14 of 378/2/12 at 12:12pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by alv4426
I don't think the PRO750 or 900 are the best choice for your taste in music. It will be more "clear" sounding and also more lively than the M50 but guitar/acoustic instruments sound weird (metallic/peaky) on the Ultrasones to me. And to dismiss the 900 as just a basshead can in comparison to the 750 is a mistake, the 900 is an upgrade in everyway to me ( I liked the 900 and got the 750 after a gave my 900s away and thought they were nothing special). Oh and I didnt think they really needed a powerful amp so the e11 should be enough.
well I listen to rock a lot but I also listen to some electronic music so if I bought the pro 900 I would use the m50 for rock and the pro 900 for electronic music. Do you think the pro 900 is the best basshead can the 300-350 dollar budget?post #15 of 378/2/12 at 1:07pm
The D2000 is slow for faster paced electronica and rock, even though its bass is really fun to listen to. The Ultrasones are definitely faster but the mids don't do rock justice. Try one of the Hifiman's. I have the HE-500 and they are my favourite for electronic and rock easily over the D2000 and will be better then the Ultrasones. At your price range, the HE-400 is a really good option. Just read that you need a closed phone, okay maybe not the Hifiman's then. Since you really like the drums, then try the KRK KNS 8400, they render percussion, drums and bass instruments by far as one of the best and are up there with my HE-500. All real instruments come alive with the right punch and the right tonality in rock and pretty much any genre. They are better than my D2000 in that regards easily and the Ultrasone's as well. Also while the bass quantity isn't like the Ultrasone's or Denon's, the 8400 can also go down into that 20Hz range. They are meant as monitoring cans. I find them somewhere in the middle of natural and neutral, they are very fun to listen to as well. If you have lot of drums, you will love the 8400 over the M50, been there done that. However, you'll need a good amp and dac. I suggest Fiio E10, as then you'll definitely be within the budget of $300.
- Good ath-m50 replacement.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread 6 seconds ago
- › What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter) 1 minute ago
- › Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9) 1 minute ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 2 minutes ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 3 minutes ago
- › The Vero Revolutionary Headphone Cabling System by MIT 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › Audiofly AF180 Review by mark2410 5 minutes ago
- › VE Zen by waynes world
- › HiFiMAN HE-1000 by Blackrain
- › RBH EP-3 Earphones by BloodyPenguin
- › Burson Audio Conductor Virtuoso DAC1 ESS9018 DAC and Headphone Preamp by iDesign
- › Audio-Technica ATH-W1000Z by Currawong
- › Brainwavz Kidwavz KV100 Childrens Bluetooth Volume Limited Headphones by shockdoc
- › Shure Sound Isolating Earphone SE315 Hi-Definition Micro Speaker... by Arvan
- › Pro-Ject Audio Head Box S USB by dnun8086
- › JVC Full-Size Headphones - Model HA-RX700 Wired Headphones by audiophilefan
- › FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 (E11K) Portable Headphone Amplifier by audiophilefan
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2