Im planning on upgrading my ath-m50's soon, my budget would be around 300 dollars. I listen mostly to rock like green day, audioslave, guns and roses, etc. I personally don't feel the ath-m50 does well in rock because when I compared them to my sennheiser ie60's and it just sounded overall worse. The vocals sounded more clear in the ie60 and the instruments were much more alive. The guitar sounded much better in the ie60 and the most notable difference were the drums. When listening to the ie60, The drums were loud and had a lot of impact and when I listened to my m50, I could barely hear the drums. Which closed headphone around 300 dollars would suit me better and be an improvement over the m50? I dont care if its over the ear or on ear either one is good for me.
- productAKG K 550tagged by System, 8/6/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 3/1/13
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 8/6/12
- productbeyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphonestagged by System, 8/6/12
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 8/6/12
- productFiiO E11tagged by System, 8/6/12
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF-2 Headphonestagged by System, 8/6/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 8/6/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 8/6/12
- productIE 60 - Audiophile Grade Hi-Fi Sound Isolating In Ear Earphonestagged by System, 8/6/12More
- productKRK KNS8400 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 8/6/12
- productShure SRH1440 Professional Open Back Headphonestagged by System, 8/6/12
- productShure SRH 940tagged by System, 8/6/12
- productUltrasone HFI-780tagged by System, 8/6/12
- productUltrasone PRO 750tagged by System, 8/6/12
- productUltrasone PRO 900tagged by System, 8/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Advice: Upgrading from ATH-M50 Last post on 9/7/12 at 11:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- whats the best closed cans head phones Last post on 6/2/15 at 7:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Your advice on a new headphone Last post on 3/21/13 at 12:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
First of all I’d like to thank LZ and Lao for sending me a review sample of the LZ A2S. I'd also want to thank my friend Tamal for informing me about the LZ A2S, thanks mate! The retail price of...
Ampsandsound are an amplifier and loudspeaker builder out of Southern California. I discovered Justin Weber and team through Head-Fi, when reports of their Kenzie headphone amps appeared. Since...
Review: Cleer DJ Professional DJ Headphone I tried to post a review only to the review template, but I was unable to because the system stated I was above the maximum character count, hence...
If you are looking at the RHA-MA750, you already have done a bit of research about how they sound. So, I will get straight to my review. Sound Quality: Let me start off by saying that these...
Acknowledgment Thanks to @Tony-Hifi of HiFi headphones for making me review this desktop DAC/Amp as a favour. I love reviewing loaners, but it’s always sad to package and send them off...
Good ath-m50 replacement.post #1 of 377/31/12 at 4:10pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 377/31/12 at 5:01pmThread Starterpost #3 of 377/31/12 at 5:15pmpost #4 of 377/31/12 at 6:28pmpost #5 of 378/1/12 at 7:22ampost #6 of 378/1/12 at 9:21ampost #7 of 378/1/12 at 2:13pmThread StarterQuote:
thanks, do you think the ultrasone pro 750 will be good for rock or mainly for electronic music due to the bass? Also, are they aggressive headphones cause I dislike headphones which are calmer or laid backpost #8 of 378/1/12 at 2:23pmQuote:
Yes-- & laid back is one thing that the Pro 750 is not.post #9 of 378/1/12 at 2:26pmpost #10 of 378/1/12 at 2:29pmThread Starterpost #11 of 378/1/12 at 2:35pmQuote:
The 900 is a basshead can. If that's what you want, it is a good (and expensive) one.post #12 of 378/1/12 at 4:22pmThread StarterQuote:
will a fiio e11 make the pro 900 sound good? Will they sound at their full potential or would I need a better amp for that?post #13 of 378/1/12 at 4:51pm
I don't think the PRO750 or 900 are the best choice for your taste in music. It will be more "clear" sounding and also more lively than the M50 but guitar/acoustic instruments sound weird (metallic/peaky) on the Ultrasones to me. And to dismiss the 900 as just a basshead can in comparison to the 750 is a mistake, the 900 is an upgrade in everyway to me ( I liked the 900 and got the 750 after a gave my 900s away and thought they were nothing special). Oh and I didnt think they really needed a powerful amp so the e11 should be enough.post #14 of 378/2/12 at 12:12pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by alv4426
I don't think the PRO750 or 900 are the best choice for your taste in music. It will be more "clear" sounding and also more lively than the M50 but guitar/acoustic instruments sound weird (metallic/peaky) on the Ultrasones to me. And to dismiss the 900 as just a basshead can in comparison to the 750 is a mistake, the 900 is an upgrade in everyway to me ( I liked the 900 and got the 750 after a gave my 900s away and thought they were nothing special). Oh and I didnt think they really needed a powerful amp so the e11 should be enough.
well I listen to rock a lot but I also listen to some electronic music so if I bought the pro 900 I would use the m50 for rock and the pro 900 for electronic music. Do you think the pro 900 is the best basshead can the 300-350 dollar budget?post #15 of 378/2/12 at 1:07pm
The D2000 is slow for faster paced electronica and rock, even though its bass is really fun to listen to. The Ultrasones are definitely faster but the mids don't do rock justice. Try one of the Hifiman's. I have the HE-500 and they are my favourite for electronic and rock easily over the D2000 and will be better then the Ultrasones. At your price range, the HE-400 is a really good option. Just read that you need a closed phone, okay maybe not the Hifiman's then. Since you really like the drums, then try the KRK KNS 8400, they render percussion, drums and bass instruments by far as one of the best and are up there with my HE-500. All real instruments come alive with the right punch and the right tonality in rock and pretty much any genre. They are better than my D2000 in that regards easily and the Ultrasone's as well. Also while the bass quantity isn't like the Ultrasone's or Denon's, the 8400 can also go down into that 20Hz range. They are meant as monitoring cans. I find them somewhere in the middle of natural and neutral, they are very fun to listen to as well. If you have lot of drums, you will love the 8400 over the M50, been there done that. However, you'll need a good amp and dac. I suggest Fiio E10, as then you'll definitely be within the budget of $300.
- Good ath-m50 replacement.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Music City Meet, Volume 5 -- Nashville, TN -- Spring 2016 (April 9,... 37 seconds ago
- › Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Ebony impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Prog rock 2 minutes ago
- › KATANA Listening Event @ Affordable Audio 3 minutes ago
- › Vibro Labs Introduction, USA tour, and Head-Fi discount! 3 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 3 minutes ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 4 minutes ago
- › ☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ Liquid Carbon Final Production Run! 5 minutes ago
- › Rank the Headphones that You Own. 6 minutes ago
- › LZ-A2S by peter123
- › ampsandsound Mogwai Single-Ended Amplifier by dmhenley
- › Cleer DJ Professional DJ Headphone by moedawg140
- › RHA MA750 by bobghosh
- › Questyle CMA600i "Current Mode Amplification" Headphone... by glassmonkey
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by Talai
- › Shure SRH840 by haroldtheboss
- › Beyerdynamic T5p by MrTechAgent
- › Xiaomi Piston Colorful Starter Edition by aNtzE
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - PHANTOM SABRE by FUYU
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...