Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › The Sub-$200 Portable Amps Shootout – 13 (+11) amps compared
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Sub-$200 Portable Amps Shootout – 13 (+11) amps compared - Page 30

post #436 of 441
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicalViola View Post
 

 

Hi ClieOS, I am curious about how the original E12 compares in terms of transparency and soundstage to the E12DIY when it is fitted with the same OPA1611 and LME49600 chips as the original E12. Does the more simplified circuitry of the E12DIY improve the transparency/soundstage if using the two same chips mentioned? Is the improvement substantial? Thanks!

 

My E12 is the very first batch with LME49710 instead of the later OPA1611, so I can't give you a direct comparison. But I am comfortable to say that given the audible difference between my E12 and E12DIY, I have no doubt the E12DIY will be better even with the same opamp+buffer setup, and OPA1611+LME49600 is not even the most transparent or widest soundstage of opamp+buffer you can use on E12DIY.

post #437 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

My E12 is the very first batch with LME49710 instead of the later OPA1611, so I can't give you a direct comparison. But I am comfortable to say that given the audible difference between my E12 and E12DIY, I have no doubt the E12DIY will be better even with the same opamp+buffer setup, and OPA1611+LME49600 is not even the most transparent or widest soundstage of opamp+buffer you can use on E12DIY.

I see. Among the stock opamp & buffer chips, which combination(s) would you say have more transparency/better soundstage? I have zero experience in rolling opamps/buffers but I'm curious and would like to learn more about the different chips available, so I plan to get a E12DIY from tmall. With shipping and all, it would come to around 250USD, do you think it'll be a better investment than a normal E12 at that price? I plan to use the portable amp with my X3 and either an X5 or DX90 which I plan to purchase after comparing them in the future.

post #438 of 441
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicalViola View Post
 

I see. Among the stock opamp & buffer chips, which combination(s) would you say have more transparency/better soundstage? I have zero experience in rolling opamps/buffers but I'm curious and would like to learn more about the different chips available, so I plan to get a E12DIY from tmall. With shipping and all, it would come to around 250USD, do you think it'll be a better investment than a normal E12 at that price? I plan to use the portable amp with my X3 and either an X5 or DX90 which I plan to purchase after comparing them in the future.

 

Without comparing to E12, I think E12DIY is well worth the money as it can compete head-to-head for some of the 'big name' $300~$500 portable amps without a problem. Of course E12 by itself is quite a bit cheaper - then again, E12 is also pretty high in value-for-money just as well. Personally, I see no problem dropping anything less than $300 for E12DIY. If it is over $300, I think the seller might be a bit greedy.

 

The most transparent opamp+buffer I have heard on the E12DIY will be the NJM5532 + HA-5002, but both are no stock. For stock combo, I think OPA1611+LME49600 (neutral but tilt to warm) or AD797+LME49600 (neutral but tilt to bright) are both good starter. Just play around and find what sounds best to you.

post #439 of 441

anyone aware of the DACs used in these players?  I am very partial to the 9018 DAC.....  if none of these has a 9018 then could someone suggest a portable amp./dac that uses it? Thanks.

post #440 of 441
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorengineer64 View Post

anyone aware of the DACs used in these players?  I am very partial to the 9018 DAC.....  if none of these has a 9018 then could someone suggest a portable amp./dac that uses it? Thanks.

Don't know any portable amp/DAC that has ES9018. It is a desktop class chip that is usually too power hungry to be used on portable amp, not mention quite an expensive chip to implement. I would think you are looking more like $500~1K level instead of a $200 amp, if such device exists.
post #441 of 441
iBasso DX100 use ES9018 and DX90 use two ES9018K2 (2 Channel version of 9018). And yeah, they're both are way above $200.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › The Sub-$200 Portable Amps Shootout – 13 (+11) amps compared