Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › The Sub-$200 Portable Amps Shootout – 13 (+11) amps compared
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Sub-$200 Portable Amps Shootout – 13 (+11) amps compared - Page 28

post #406 of 441
ClieOS,
Do you have experience with the E09k? How would you compare the transparency and soundstage between the E09k, E12, and E11? Just curious, because I find I miss the superior soundstage from my desktop tube amp when I switch to the E12 (and play videogames, still happy with the E12 and music)
post #407 of 441
Thread Starter 
E09K and E9 sound the same, roughly equal in SQ to E17 / E11. I don't think you will find it an upgrade over E12.
post #408 of 441
Ok thanks.
post #409 of 441

Sound differences, you must be talking DACs and op amps. Anyone ever open up their unit to see what was inside i.e. kind of op amp? I take it being these models are all similar,  probably different op amps are the only difference in varying sounds between the models. I can't find the specs on those.

post #410 of 441
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzz42 View Post

Sound differences, you must be talking DACs and op amps. Anyone ever open up their unit to see what was inside i.e. kind of op amp? I take it being these models are all similar,  probably different op amps are the only difference in varying sounds between the models. I can't find the specs on those.

Which portable amps are you referring? I have openned up almost every amp I have. It is not just opamp that makes them sound different, but more importantly, the implementation.
post #411 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post


Which portable amps are you referring? I have openned up almost every amp I have. It is not just opamp that makes them sound different, but more importantly, the implementation.

Specifically the E11 is getting compared to the E17 with the E11 claimed to have a bit more bass (I think I have that right). Granted the circuity helps sound but is usually built around the DAC and/or opamp after they are choosen first. Just wanted to know what opamps each one is running.

post #412 of 441
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzz42 View Post
 

Specifically the E11 is getting compared to the E17 with the E11 claimed to have a bit more bass (I think I have that right). Granted the circuity helps sound but is usually built around the DAC and/or opamp after they are choosen first. Just wanted to know what opamps each one is running.

 

E11 and E17's main opamp are actually the same: AD8397. But E11 has a 3 channels topology where E17 has the normal topology. They don't sound identical so implementation does affect the final sound.

post #413 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

E11 and E17's main opamp are actually the same: AD8397. But E11 has a 3 channels topology where E17 has the normal topology. They don't sound identical so implementation does affect the final sound.

Thanks  for that. (I think you said E11 uses different filtering to achieve its sound)

post #414 of 441

I think the refurbished 3G Arrow ($199) should be added to this list.

 

post #415 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by proedros View Post

I think the refurbished 3G Arrow ($199) should be added to this list.


 

I would love to see this one int he list too.

Ive been researching between jds c5, uha4 and arrow 3g lately.
T
post #416 of 441

HAVE I MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE IN C5 ???

 

Hi, I just purchased a c5 slate after contemplating numerous choices of amps and dacs and a combi of both. I am coming from an E11 which had its headphone jack give me problems and i wasn't 2 happy about its build quality either. I was about to settle for the E07k for its quailty built, price and as well as portability but there was a discount for the c5 at 175usd so i took the plunge instead for that. 

 

The question is have i made the right choice ??? or will i have buyers remorse ???

 

I hope i made the right choice! I was also considering the E17, E12, E18.

 

I have the vmoda m100s and the senn Amperiors. I am currently using android and sansa clip + (and maybe x5 soon). n I'm a closet bass-head i guess.

 

Thanks.

post #417 of 441
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryberry View Post

 

The question is have i made the right choice ??? or will i have buyers remorse ???

 

 

Only you can answer those questions. I can only tell you C5 is a fine sounding amp.

post #418 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

Only you can answer those questions. I can only tell you C5 is a fine sounding amp.

 

okay can u tell me if i will be able to tell the difference in quality from the E11 then ?

post #419 of 441
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryberry View Post
 

 

okay can u tell me if i will be able to tell the difference in quality from the E11 then ?


You should, but the ability to differentiate gears is as much an art as it is depend on your hearing, experience and personal preference.

post #420 of 441

Looking for first portable amp.  Between Mont Blanc and a few others.  Thanks for the shootout info!  Will be helpful.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › The Sub-$200 Portable Amps Shootout – 13 (+11) amps compared