Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › The Sub-$200 Portable Amps Shootout – 13 (+11) amps compared
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Sub-$200 Portable Amps Shootout – 13 (+11) amps compared - Page 27

post #391 of 454
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0lar View Post
 

 

It works fine but in your review you wrote about a charging LED. Mine has a RED led while charging and a white led while it's on. The led does not become green when charging is complete.

I will contact iBasso about it, I figured it was just imposible to charge while listening. It is heavely scratched as well after all these years.

 

Besides the one included in this thread, I don't recall ever writing a review for the T5. I also don't recall mentioning about charging or green LED. In fact, mine works just like yours - red LED lights up when charging and goes off when it is full.

post #392 of 454

I would personally go for the UHA-4. From the comparison and impressions before, it seems pretty spectacular.

10.gif
post #393 of 454
Thread Starter 

Yes, UHA-4 would be a pretty good choice, though it won't have a similar sound as T5.

post #394 of 454

Hey all. I want to ask about the ZO2.

 

I got the HRT Microstreamer a while ago, and while it has some pros (clarity, highs extension), it is downright bass anemic imo. Point is, I need more bass. 

 

I was thinking of something like this 

 

PC >>> HRT Microstreamer >>> ZO2 >>>> Sig DJ

 

My question is, would this setup be idiotic? From ClieOS's view, the ZO2 is one of the worst sounding amps in this group. So, would it be stupid to use the Microstreamer as a DAC only, and use the ZO2 as bass boost?

 

The intention is to maintain the positive qualities of the Microstreamer and add bass, but I am thinking I would lose the clarity from the Microstreamer if I use it as DAC only.


Edited by erod - 9/27/13 at 8:12am
post #395 of 454

http://www.head-fi.org/t/573871/ibasso-t5-a-newly-designed-small-portable-specifications/105

Here's another user reporting the same issue and another commenting he has no problem listening while charging.

I suspect a short somewhere because when I connect IEMs only one third to two thirds I can hear parts of the distorted output.

post #396 of 454
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0lar View Post
 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/573871/ibasso-t5-a-newly-designed-small-portable-specifications/105

Here's another user reporting the same issue and another commenting he has no problem listening while charging.

I suspect a short somewhere because when I connect IEMs only one third to two thirds I can hear parts of the distorted output.

 

Yep, like I said on that (and this) thread, there seems to be some serious build quality issue on T5 and thus it is never the amp I'll recommend. My battery actually ballooned up in less than a few months with very light usage. I replaced it myself with a generic eBay Li-ion battery of the same size and it has been working fine all this time. I'll say there could be something doggy about the battery iBasso uses in T5 that causes all the inconsistency among user.

post #397 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

Yep, like I said on that (and this) thread, there seems to be some serious build quality issue on T5 and thus it is never the amp I'll recommend. My battery actually ballooned up in less than a few months with very light usage. I replaced it myself with a generic eBay Li-ion battery of the same size and it has been working fine all this time. I'll say there could be something doggy about the battery iBasso uses in T5 that causes all the inconsistency among user.

 

Probably, could you describe how you took apart your T5 without damaging it?

I found another user experience somewhere where the user is also unable to charge and listen at the same time.

 

iBasso answered my e-mail. They say charging while listening is not possible.


Edited by s0lar - 9/27/13 at 12:12pm
post #398 of 454
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0lar View Post
 

 

Probably, could you describe how you took apart your T5 without damaging it?

I found another user experience somewhere where the user is also unable to charge and listen at the same time.

 

T5 is really easy to take apart, only 2 tiny screws holding both panels together. Just unscrew carefully then use you finger to pry the two panels with your finger nail on one end (the one closer to the screw hole). One of the two panel (*forget which) will be easier as the other one will have the battery glued on with double side tape. The tricky part is actually when you need to put everything back, when you need to align the two panels just right so the tiny screw can screw into both of them. Also be sure not to over-screw and damage the thread.

post #399 of 454

Would either C 421 work well with the Audeo PFE? I would get the C5 but I can get a C 421 for half the cost of a C5, the only problem is the seller isn't sure which model it is. 

post #400 of 454
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0lar View Post

...

iBasso answered my e-mail. They say charging while listening is not possible.

 

I guess I have the defected T5 then? In a way I am kind of glad it defected the way I want it :p, but that's nonetheless a serious issue. Again, I am disappointed with iBasso. :mad:

 

Amend the review to reflect this.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousjim View Post
 

Would either C 421 work well with the Audeo PFE? I would get the C5 but I can get a C 421 for half the cost of a C5, the only problem is the seller isn't sure which model it is. 

 

I'll expect PFE becomes slightly brighter due to the output impedance of C421.


Edited by ClieOS - 9/28/13 at 12:02am
post #401 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

I guess I have the defected T5 then? In a way I am kind of glad it defected the way I want it :p, but that's nonetheless a serious issue. Again, I am disappointed with iBasso. :mad:

 

Amend the review to reflect this.

 

 

I'll expect PFE becomes slightly brighter due to the output impedance of C421.

 

I found this info here: 

http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/thread/7448/ibasso-t5-portable-amplifier

post #402 of 454

Decided to charge up my t5 today after a couple of weeks and it does work while charging.

post #403 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by esuhgb View Post
 

Decided to charge up my t5 today after a couple of weeks and it does work while charging.

 

The saga here continues.

I am unable to listen and charge via USB connected to my computer but I can listen and charge via 220VAC-5VDC USB connected to the wall.

post #404 of 454

I was charging using a wall charger and not via my laptop, will have to try that and see if it still plays.

post #405 of 454
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0lar View Post
 

 

The saga here continues.

I am unable to listen and charge via USB connected to my computer but I can listen and charge via 220VAC-5VDC USB connected to the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esuhgb View Post
 

I was charging using a wall charger and not via my laptop, will have to try that and see if it still plays.

 

Could be some kind of ground issue, as BTL / balanced ground design will require much more complex charging circuit to isolate the ground channel from the electrical ground and T5 simply doesn't have the space needed. It could be that iBasso chose to cut corner by not isolate them and thus creating the issue we have here. E11 has the same problem but FiiO decided to automatically turn the amp section off when charging. It would also explain why some have noise issue while other don't, as USB port implementation is different from PC to PC. A good USB port will proper power filter will likely have no noise issue. Actually I can use my T5 on both PC as well as USB adapter while charging,

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › The Sub-$200 Portable Amps Shootout – 13 (+11) amps compared