Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › The Sub-$200 Portable Amps Shootout – 13 (+11) amps compared
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Sub-$200 Portable Amps Shootout – 13 (+11) amps compared - Page 23

post #331 of 454
so dual amping is the most cost effective way to amplify an iP5?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

DAC that are compatible to iP5 needs a special chip inside and generally cost around $500 or so. UH-6 MK2 isn't one of them.
post #332 of 454
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by posteriorpounde View Post

so dual amping is the most cost effective way to amplify an iP5?

 

I'll say yes.

post #333 of 454

Are you planning on updating this with the C&C BH? Or did you nix that idea

post #334 of 454
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by posteriorpounde View Post

Are you planning on updating this with the C&C BH? Or did you nix that idea


I just receive it yesterday actually.

 

Here is some quick impression: RMAA measurement is all fine. Flat FR and good power output, very low output impedance on 'output 1'. It is slightly on the brighter side as it tends to highlight micro-detail a tap more. Soundstage is pretty good as well. However, texture is less than full and bass hit is noticeably weak. Almost like an opposite of FiiO E11, and doesn't feel like it is offering any tight control. Bass booster isn't just boosting bass, it also boosts treble as well, which is rather weird. Soundstage boost is like a slightly over-implemented crossfeed. Sometime it is nice while some time it adds too much resonance into the mix. Overall, I'll say it is right there with E11 - better in soundstage and detail, but lose out in texture and control.

post #335 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post


I just receive it yesterday actually.

Here is some quick impression: RMAA measurement is all fine. Flat FR and good power output, very low output impedance on 'output 1'. It is slightly on the brighter side as it tends to highlight micro-detail a tap more. Soundstage is pretty good as well. However, texture is less than full and bass hit is noticeably weak. Almost like an opposite of FiiO E11, and doesn't feel like it is offering any tight control. Bass booster isn't just boosting bass, it also boosts treble as well, which is rather weird. Soundstage boost is like a slightly over-implemented crossfeed. Sometime it is nice while some time it adds too much resonance into the mix. Overall, I'll say it is right there with E11 - better in soundstage and detail, but lose out in texture and control.

Would you say it's a cold or thin amp?
post #336 of 454
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by posteriorpounde View Post


Would you say it's a cold or thin amp?


Yes, slightly to the thin side because lower mid to bass carry very little wieght. Though I won't call it cold, it is on the brighter side of things.


Edited by ClieOS - 5/20/13 at 8:53pm
post #337 of 454

ClieOS,

 

Any thoughts on the NuForce Icon iDo?  Surprised it gets so little attention being a DAC/Amp for only $149.  About the same size as the Objective2.  Sure, not exactly "portable" since it needs a DC adaptor.  But still, pretty small for all it does.  

post #338 of 454
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanCrazed View Post

ClieOS,

 

Any thoughts on the NuForce Icon iDo?  Surprised it gets so little attention being a DAC/Amp for only $149.  About the same size as the Objective2.  Sure, not exactly "portable" since it needs a DC adaptor.  But still, pretty small for all it does.  

 

It is not portable and designed only for iDevice, that means it is out of my interest (I am an Android guy, a Nano 7G is as far as I am willing to pay Apple). Personally, I think people will either pay  more to get a real portable setup (CLAS and such) or a desktop rig (many newer receiver already support digital-out from iDevices). iDo is a bit too ambiguous in the middle.

post #339 of 454

Is there anything out there that would compare to the O2 + ODAC combo, but usb powered, with bass boost, portable (rechargeable) and android friendly?

 

It doesn't have to be a single device or in this price range. I just though I would ask here and see where you can point me.

post #340 of 454
Thread Starter 

Some have successfully use UD100 and ODAC on their Samsung Galaxy S3 / Note 2, then it is just a question of find an O2 level portable amp with bass boost. JDS Labs C5 should be really close.

 

There are now 'designed for Android' portable amp / DAC in the market, but they are not universally functional - this is mainly because most Android smartphone still do not included the necessary USB Audio Class 2 driver in the firmware to enable USB DAC to work, even though Google has promised to add it in 4.1.1 (or is it 4.1.2?)

 

Anyway, I don't know any all-in-one solution myself.

post #341 of 454

Hey guys,

 

I've got a pair of UM Merlins for which I'm trying to work out an amping solution.  Ideally, the amp of choice would be one that can double as a USB DAC such as the Fiio E7 (which I own.)  I'll be using the amp with my smartphone, which is currently a Galaxy SII (Sprint variant) but will soon be an HTC One.  The fact that both the One is able to utilize a USB DAC makes me think that may be my preferred means of amping rather than using an aux input.  If you think I'd have better results just using an amp rather than an amp/DAC (e.g. Fiio E12 vs an E17,) then I'd be open to that.

 

What do you feel would be the best portable amp (or amp/DAC) for my CIEM's?  I would prefer an amp which is brighter rather than warmer.  I would also prefer something similar in size to the E7, certainly not much larger.

 

Thanks!

post #342 of 454
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazirker View Post

Hey guys,

 

I've got a pair of UM Merlins for which I'm trying to work out an amping solution.  Ideally, the amp of choice would be one that can double as a USB DAC such as the Fiio E7 (which I own.)  I'll be using the amp with my smartphone, which is currently a Galaxy SII (Sprint variant) but will soon be an HTC One.  The fact that both the One is able to utilize a USB DAC makes me think that may be my preferred means of amping rather than using an aux input.  If you think I'd have better results just using an amp rather than an amp/DAC (e.g. Fiio E12 vs an E17,) then I'd be open to that.

 

What do you feel would be the best portable amp (or amp/DAC) for my CIEM's?  I would prefer an amp which is brighter rather than warmer.  I would also prefer something similar in size to the E7, certainly not much larger.

 

Thanks!

 

Not every USB DAC + amp will work on Android ( and each Samsung and HTC's support will also be different), so you have to be careful since your choices are more limited than you think. Though I am into Android, I don't keep track of which USB DAC will work on which smartphone, but there is a thread in the forum you can find.

post #343 of 454
I'll have to research if it works, but the Leckerton UHA-4 might be what I'm after. More research, always more research.
post #344 of 454

great comparison! thanks for that and I am now into the JDS labs O2 beyersmile.png

post #345 of 454

ClieOS,

 

I am absolutely leaning towards the Objective 2.  But I am afraid.  Why?

Because I've had headphone amps in the past and returned them because

the improvements were so minimal they were not worth the hassle of using. 

I previously had the Fiio e11 and Cmoy (JDS Labs).  

 

i intend to use an amp with my iPod Classic and either Grado SR80's

or V-Moda M-80's.  I don't have a separate DAC (though that's

something I may get later on, if the amp proves awesome).

 

I don't need portability.  Will use the set-up at home.

 

For someone like me -- a "budding budget audiophile" -- is 

the Objective 2 worth it?  

 

I am okay with the hassle of an extra device so long as the 

improvement is readily discernible.  I don't have Golden Ears

and don't use spectrographs or whatnot to measure

frequencies. I just want to chill out to some impactful

Classical Music and not worry about it.  ;)

 

 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › The Sub-$200 Portable Amps Shootout – 13 (+11) amps compared