Hi there, head-fi! I am a budding audiophile looking for an upgrade to an around-ear set of cans from my current Hifiman RE0s. I love them for travel but I feel like their lacking in fullness and especially in bass. I listen to all kinds of music, but nothing really bass heavy (no rap or dubstep, a little rock) but I especially love classical and orchestral music. Trying on other people's headphones while listening to Mozart, I really noticed how much range I was missing with these in-ears. My price range is about $250-$300 max. I am not sure exactly when an amp is needed or what a preamp is necessary for or even what source I should be using. Some help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 7/30/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/30/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/30/12
Related Forum Threads
- Help me find a new pair of over-ear headphones! Last post on 10/5/12 at 2:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Another one of THOSE threads (help) Last post on 7/30/12 at 7:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Advice on a new open and closed headphone Last post on 7/5/12 at 7:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Things that make you SMILE Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
I could not recommend these headphones more, they sound better than anything else i have had the opportunity to listen to for more than five minutes. They take the best parts of the headphones i...
Newbie needs help finding circumauralspost #1 of 67/30/12 at 11:08amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 67/30/12 at 11:14ampost #3 of 67/30/12 at 11:17amThread Starterpost #4 of 67/30/12 at 11:30am
in that case i would recommend the akg q701's but... sony studio headphones are known to be good at classical music and isolate pretty well.another option (the stylish one) is the nixon master blaster headphone.it's very good at classical,jazz and isolates very well.the only problem is it creates a little pressure on the ears but is worth it and is competetively priced.post #5 of 67/30/12 at 12:52pmThread Starterpost #6 of 67/31/12 at 6:33pmQuote:
Q701 impedance is 63 ohm so it definitely sounds better amped.Sony:depends on the model.Check the impedance and if it's over 40 ohms it could use an amp up to around 80 and over that an amp is necessary.The Nixon Master Blaster is said to be a little quiet when used with portable music players,so if you listen to the music at high volume,you may want to buy an amp.
I recommend closed back headphones for "all around" headphones.
- Newbie needs help finding circumaurals
- Headphone Impedance
- › Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Appreciation thread 21 seconds ago
- › The Ear Pads Thread 42 seconds ago
- › THE HYPE.............................. Appreciation Thread. 59 seconds ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › Superlux Express Train 1 minute ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 2 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 3 minutes ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 3 minutes ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 3 minutes ago
- › Sony Qualia 010 Owner's Club 5 minutes ago
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude