Hi there, head-fi! I am a budding audiophile looking for an upgrade to an around-ear set of cans from my current Hifiman RE0s. I love them for travel but I feel like their lacking in fullness and especially in bass. I listen to all kinds of music, but nothing really bass heavy (no rap or dubstep, a little rock) but I especially love classical and orchestral music. Trying on other people's headphones while listening to Mozart, I really noticed how much range I was missing with these in-ears. My price range is about $250-$300 max. I am not sure exactly when an amp is needed or what a preamp is necessary for or even what source I should be using. Some help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 7/30/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/30/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/30/12
Related Forum Threads
- Help me find a new pair of over-ear headphones! Last post on 10/5/12 at 2:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Another one of THOSE threads (help) Last post on 7/30/12 at 7:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Advice on a new open and closed headphone Last post on 7/5/12 at 7:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Things that make you SMILE Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONFirstly I'd like to acknowledge Head-fier Ajaxander (Andy) and also Ken Ball from ALO/Campfire...
I bought these (at £150) expecting much but was shocked by how far they fell short of even competency. They are very uncomfortable, badly designed and the sound is really nothing special. Whatever...
Can’t believe nobody has commented on the lack of an extremely basic feature that exists on 99% of MP3 players but missing from this and many other Fiio units — which is the ability to bookmark....
Advanced AcousticWerkes Q: Deceptively Small The AAW Q is an upcoming IEM from Singaporean company Advanced AcousticWerkes, scheduled for release in the first week of September. It boasts a new...
Now that I've heard all the ADEL modules from Asius technologies(what has been released since 8/16), it's even harder to pick a favorite. Some days I want to tune the sound to my unique anatomy,...
Newbie needs help finding circumauralspost #1 of 67/30/12 at 11:08amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 67/30/12 at 11:14ampost #3 of 67/30/12 at 11:17amThread Starterpost #4 of 67/30/12 at 11:30am
in that case i would recommend the akg q701's but... sony studio headphones are known to be good at classical music and isolate pretty well.another option (the stylish one) is the nixon master blaster headphone.it's very good at classical,jazz and isolates very well.the only problem is it creates a little pressure on the ears but is worth it and is competetively priced.post #5 of 67/30/12 at 12:52pmThread Starterpost #6 of 67/31/12 at 6:33pmQuote:
Q701 impedance is 63 ohm so it definitely sounds better amped.Sony:depends on the model.Check the impedance and if it's over 40 ohms it could use an amp up to around 80 and over that an amp is necessary.The Nixon Master Blaster is said to be a little quiet when used with portable music players,so if you listen to the music at high volume,you may want to buy an amp.
I recommend closed back headphones for "all around" headphones.
- Newbie needs help finding circumaurals
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Lets Talk Metal 1 minute ago
- › Pics of Headphones... Rules: ONE PIC. NO WORDS! 1 minute ago
- › TDK BA200 Thread 3 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 3 minutes ago
- › Fresh From The Oven: iBasso P5 "Falcon" 5 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 6 minutes ago
- › Seiun player, $150 player with monster spec. Too good to be true? 8 minutes ago
- › NuPrime HPA-9 ™ new headphone amplifier 10 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 13 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! 13 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Nova by Brooko
- › Flare Audio R1 Headphones by Mr Vicarious
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by greencalx
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes Q by ustinj
- › Asius Technologies ADEL™ G1 Auto Modules by Ike1985
- › AAW Nebula Two Hybrid In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › Shure SE215 by Nick Walters
- › E-mu Teak Headphones by AT Khan
- › Marshall Mode In-Ear Headphones, Black/White (4090939) by PopZeus
- › Pro-Ject Debut Carbon by davehg
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...