Hi there, head-fi! I am a budding audiophile looking for an upgrade to an around-ear set of cans from my current Hifiman RE0s. I love them for travel but I feel like their lacking in fullness and especially in bass. I listen to all kinds of music, but nothing really bass heavy (no rap or dubstep, a little rock) but I especially love classical and orchestral music. Trying on other people's headphones while listening to Mozart, I really noticed how much range I was missing with these in-ears. My price range is about $250-$300 max. I am not sure exactly when an amp is needed or what a preamp is necessary for or even what source I should be using. Some help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Related Forum Threads
- Help me find a new pair of over-ear headphones! Last post on 10/5/12 at 2:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Another one of THOSE threads (help) Last post on 7/30/12 at 7:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Advice on a new open and closed headphone Last post on 7/5/12 at 7:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Things that make you SMILE Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 6/13/12 at 3:05am in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Edited on 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeEdited on 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaEdited on 1/6/13
Upon initial listening with these buds, I was rather unimpressed as I heard the rather familiar bloated mid-bass, sharp highs, and lack of mids that SKDY's old line carried. Then I realized that...
The VSD1 is the latest in a rather long line of budget in ear monitors including the VC02, GR99, GR02 and others that promises high quality sound for around $50 or so. While I haven’t had...
I tried a few Grado's —didn't like the Grado house sound—, a few Senn's —HD650 left a good impression—, a few lower-end AT's —I thought the AD700 were impressive for the price— and after reading...
In my recent quest for a new set of cans, I took a slight detour into the land of flashy prosumer headphones, in the form of the HK CL. The only reason I tried a pair was the price: half off,...
The Creative Aurvana Live! solved a major problem for me—how to listen to good audio while walking the dog at night. I live near a commercial and bar district in Center City, Philadelphia and I'm...
Newbie needs help finding circumauralspost #1 of 67/30/12 at 11:08amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 67/30/12 at 11:14ampost #3 of 67/30/12 at 11:17amThread Starterpost #4 of 67/30/12 at 11:30am
in that case i would recommend the akg q701's but... sony studio headphones are known to be good at classical music and isolate pretty well.another option (the stylish one) is the nixon master blaster headphone.it's very good at classical,jazz and isolates very well.the only problem is it creates a little pressure on the ears but is worth it and is competetively priced.post #5 of 67/30/12 at 12:52pmThread Starterpost #6 of 67/31/12 at 6:33pmQuote:
Q701 impedance is 63 ohm so it definitely sounds better amped.Sony:depends on the model.Check the impedance and if it's over 40 ohms it could use an amp up to around 80 and over that an amp is necessary.The Nixon Master Blaster is said to be a little quiet when used with portable music players,so if you listen to the music at high volume,you may want to buy an amp.
I recommend closed back headphones for "all around" headphones.
- Newbie needs help finding circumaurals
- Headphone Impedance
- › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon &... 18 seconds ago
- › A Concise View of Why The ATH-M50 is No Longer King 1 minute ago
- › Any headphones like Grados in style for under $300.00? 2 minutes ago
- › Samsung Galaxy S 4 2 minutes ago
- › T-PEOS H-200 - new triple hybrid IEM - Appreciation thread 2 minutes ago
- › Colorfly C3 4GB 3 minutes ago
- › The T50RP Paradox | reviews, discussion, & mini-tour impressions... 3 minutes ago
- › Songs that make your headphone WOOOOOW!!! 5 minutes ago
- › Full Sized Portable Cans Opinions? ($200-$350) 5 minutes ago
- › The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious... 6 minutes ago
- › Skullcandy S2SYDA-008 Merge Earbud Headphones - Black/Chrome by KodaO
- › VSONIC VSD1 by TheGame21x
- › Audio Technica W5000 by the wizard of oz
- › Harmon Kardon Classic On-Ear Headphones by imagic
- › Creative Aurvana Live! Headphones by imagic
- › JBL J33 Premium In-Ear Headphones - Black by Aakash
- › Hisoundaudio Wooduo 2 by iern
- › Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL by jensy
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by dietcoke2am
- › Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Sigma USB Gaming Headset by imagic
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe