So I have been perusing the forums trying to find a an answer to my "on-the-go-gym-phones" problem. I currently use the stock iPhone headphones (you know those white ones that come with the iPods)...I only use these still because they have iPhone controls and a mic on them, this feature is a must for me. I also use these all day everyday and all my 3 pairs are getting worn out..its time for new IEMs. I have been looking at IEMs for 200 or less, but I am not really willing to spend more because I am going to beat the crap out of them and I don't want to ruin a pair of $500 headphones. I like the shure headphones, but I am worried about the over-the-ear cord situation i could see that popping off over my ear while running. In terms of sound quality I want these to be easy to drive and loud in the low end (bass is a must). Any suggestions that people have or any guidance anyone could offer would be appreciated...if anyone knows about the shures and jogging with that over ear cord let me know. thanks!
- productFischer Audio DBA-02tagged by System, 8/1/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/1/12
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 8/1/12
- productKlipsch Image S4i Premium Noise-Isolating Headset with 3-Button Apple Controltagged by System, 8/1/12
- productMEElectronics A151-BK Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 8/1/12
- productSennheiser Adidas CX 680i Sports Headsettagged by System, 8/1/12
- productShure SE215 Blacktagged by System, 8/1/12
- productShure Sound Isolating Earphone SE315 Hi-Definition Micro Speaker with Tuned Bass Port (Clear)tagged by System, 8/1/12
- productUltimate Ears 500tagged by System, 8/1/12
- productV-MODA Remix M-Class Earbuds- Bling Bling Blacktagged by System, 8/1/12
Related Forum Threads
- Any reccomendations for me?? Last post on 9/30/12 at 9:59pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEM's with braided cables? Last post on 7/29/12 at 8:44am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for deployment to Afghanistan? Last post on 7/25/12 at 12:06am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- What would Iron Man Do? Last post on 7/15/12 at 2:06pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Portable Headphones Last post on 7/15/12 at 3:21pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Bass: solid, balanced and extended with excellent pitch. Can be Stygian and prodigious with the right recordings. Midrange: clear, coherent, tonally complex and saturated. Vocals are rendered with...
UE6000 Review I like these headphones. I don’t love them, I just like them. They have a ton of good things going for them like the isolation (freakin’ fantastic passive isolation, maybe better...
I had this earphones for 2 years and I must say, that I was really satisfied with it. With the possibility to change bass you can choose what really fits you and I must say, that the bass was...
A Little Background I currently own Beats Pro and I listen to them on a daily basis. I have previously owned Beats Studios and Beats Solos. I bought all of them from The Source in Ontario and...
Bought those as a portable go-to set (subway use, airplanes, travelling, etc.) and am so far very pleased. I previously used Etymotic IEM's (ER-4P and HF3) which are known for their clarity and...
Best in-ear, Iphone control (with mic), gym/jogging headphonespost #1 of 157/30/12 at 10:41amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 157/30/12 at 10:55amThread Starter
I was thinking
Shure-se215, se315--like that the cable is detachable/replaceable worry about the cord popping over the top of my ear when I run
Klipsch- s4i, s4i rugged (but I don't like the colors I like neutral looking phones), s5i rugged (I heard its heavy and may pop out)post #3 of 157/30/12 at 10:56amThread Starterpost #4 of 157/30/12 at 11:13am
Cords will not pop off while running. I can guarantee that :p That said, Shure, Westone, and even Phonak are all good choices. However, be aware that most IEMs and headphones tend to cause bone conduction while running/jogging. There is no headphone that won't mind you. Now, depending on where you're jogging/running, you may want to avoid isolating headphones (especially while outdoors). If you're in the gym you may want isolation. Shure, Westone, and even Etymotic will do great with isolation. Phonak is slightly worse with it, but tolerable for the gym as well as outdoors. Something like the Moshi Clarus may be a good choice if you're going outdoors as they don't isolate.
S4 Rugged (and S5) may have a little weight to them for running. I haven't heard any Klipsch headphones yet, but will soon. The S3, S4 and S5 series all use the same drivers. The reference 4 series also uses the same drivers as the S4. The ProMedia also uses the same drivers. All actually share similar (or exact same) housings. If you want to go the Klipsch route, I'd go after the S4i or ProMedia as they tend to be much cheaper.
Edited by tinyman392 - 7/30/12 at 11:15ampost #5 of 157/30/12 at 12:58pmpost #6 of 157/30/12 at 1:06pmThread Starterpost #7 of 157/30/12 at 1:10pmThread Starter
Tinyman I'll check out those Moshi's out...I own a pair of Phonak's and I hateeee them. The plastic "wire guide" that holds the headphone cord behind my ear is always losing grip of the cord and having to be replaced and the headphones just don't sound good enough without an amp. Those are honestly what turned me off to behind the ear designs..but I have not heard this complaint of Shure's or really from anyone else so it may be time to check those behind the ear numbers out again. Or maybe just go with the S4i rugged Klipsch and deal with the bright colors...I have heard the S4i weighs less so it won't pop out like the s5i rugged will.post #8 of 157/30/12 at 1:21pmThread Starter
oh and just to be clear I do run, but I mostly lift in the gym so listening to my bones jingle through some IEMs isn't the biggest issue. Having said that how much sweat does it take to ruin a pair of Shure's because I am leaning towards getting a pair of those se215-315s.post #9 of 157/30/12 at 1:38pmQuote:Originally Posted by DiscoBurger
oh and just to be clear I do run, but I mostly lift in the gym so listening to my bones jingle through some IEMs isn't the biggest issue. Having said that how much sweat does it take to ruin a pair of Shure's because I am leaning towards getting a pair of those se215-315s.
They are run off of electricity. And can be ruined by water.
Jimpost #10 of 157/30/12 at 2:02pmQuote:
I'd like to clarify this answer... One drop of sweat that touches an electrical component and has enough salt (as well as other minerals) to conduct. Water in its most pure form doesn't have the ions to conduct. So two things must happen.
Concerning the Phonak fit, try taking off the ear guides. I've gotten much better results without using them. They just get in the way.post #11 of 157/30/12 at 2:09pmMaybe you actually need two sets of IEMs - one for the gym and another for all other uses. I use MEElec A151's as my gym phone - good enough SQ, but not so expensive to lose/break, and Fischer DBA-02's with a Westone cable (or JVC-FXT90's occasionally) for everything else. (No amps here, either.) MEElec also has plenty of IEMs with phone ("--P") controls if that is a must have for gym use. if you really want just one IEM, the A161P might be an excellent choice.
I prefer to wear all my IEMs over-ear to eliminate microphonics, and all of these 'phones are quite secure once I've found the right tips for my ears.
Joker had a table in Post #8 of his mammoth review compendium that indicated which have a mic/remote option. Couldn't find it last time I looked, however.
Another approach to mic/remote controls would be an IEM with cables that could be replaced with a cable having that feature. Both Shure and Westone have that capability. Amazon also has inexpensive inline controls like this one, but I find that all the extra cable is a bother.
http://www.amazon.com/Cellet-57787-Adaptor-Switch-Microphone/dp/B000OL5EFG/ref=sr_1_28?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1343682078&sr=1-28&keywords=Microphonepost #12 of 157/30/12 at 5:10pmThread Starter
^ you know what defrost you are completely right...I don't jog a lot I may as well use some crappy earbuds when I do that and buy some outstanding IEMs for everyday life and lifting. thank you guys for all your helppost #13 of 158/1/12 at 9:52am
I'm also looking for an all-around earphones with mic/remote that I can use at home, work, gym, while running, etc. I need to replace my Denon AH-C560R because they keep on breaking, including the one that Denon sent to me. Right now, I'm looking at either UE 500vi or Klipsch Image S4i Rugged. Both seemed to be really good based on reviews that I've read so far... any thoughts or other recommendations? I'm looking for something under $100.post #14 of 158/1/12 at 2:36pmQuote:Have you looked at |joker|'s reviews? The S4i wasn't great in his estimation. Look at what he has to say about the Fischer SBA03, which is equivalent to the MEElec A161P, except the MEElec is cheaper, has a mic/remote, with great MEElec warranty and customer service.Originally Posted by rjg12
I'm also looking for an all-around earphones with mic/remote that I can use at home, work, gym, while running, etc. I need to replace my Denon AH-C560R because they keep on breaking, including the one that Denon sent to me. Right now, I'm looking at either UE 500vi or Klipsch Image S4i Rugged. Both seemed to be really good based on reviews that I've read so far... any thoughts or other recommendations? I'm looking for something under $100.
(I have no association with MEElectronics except as a satisfied customer on several occasions.)
Edited by dfrost - 8/1/12 at 2:39pmpost #15 of 158/2/12 at 1:12pmThread Starter
You know what I took the leap..I found a pair of klipsch x10i lou reed (purple, yeah but I like it lol) on amazon for 230 new and I grabbed them. I had to expedite shipping because I wanted it NOW and I just got them hours ago. I love them. They are great. The cord makes a lot of noise when you walk but they sound great unamped and are just what I was looking for.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best in-ear, Iphone control (with mic), gym/jogging headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › The discovery thread.! Yamaha HPH-200 (PG 1110) !!.KEF... 6 seconds ago
- › IC: LA/SoCal Regional Spring Meet, March 15, 2014 35 seconds ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 36 seconds ago
- › Audiophile Orchestral Music w/ wide dynamic range. Soundtracks maybe? 1 minute ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Offical Meet/mini-meet Planning Thread 1 minute ago
- › So, I'm looking for that perfect amp... 1 minute ago
- › Seattle Sunday New Year Meet 01/05/14 4 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX50 Thread (New^4 firmware update! V1.2.2) 5 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by jshaffe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by jshaffe
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones, Black by pataburd
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude