Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Mr Speakers Mad Dog vs Smeggy's Thunderpants ( Fostex T50RP MODS )
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mr Speakers Mad Dog vs Smeggy's Thunderpants ( Fostex T50RP MODS )

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Ok, so these both are awesome mods. they really change the fostex into a whole new headphone. Both of these headphones are made to compete in the $400 and up headphone category. The Mad dogs can eb found for $260, where the Thunderpants can be found for $450+. I understand that the Thunderpants uses wood, but other than the extra asthestics, what  makes it cost so much more? What makes the Thunderpants so much more? Do they sound the same? Whats the key differences  and what is the better deal?


Edited by pichu - 7/29/12 at 9:46pm
post #2 of 12

What about LFF's Paradox

post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 

looked them up, they seem good, where can I find them?

post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pichu View Post

Ok, so these both are awesome mods. they really change the fostex into a whole new headphone. Both of these headphones are made to compete in the $400 and up headphone category. The Mad dogs can eb found for $260, where the Thunderpants can be found for $450+. I understand that the Thunderpants uses wood, but other than the extra asthestics, what  makes it cost so much more? What makes the Thunderpants so much more? Do they sound the same? Whats the key differences  and what is the better deal?


Don't think they will sound the same, haven't read anyone saying they sound the same
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pichu View Post

looked them up, they seem good, where can I find them?

You can pm LFF for more information regarding the Paradox. I have one and they sound amazing =)

post #6 of 12

So how do they compare. Is it worth the extra money to get the the thunderpants?
 

post #7 of 12

I heard Thunderpants at the recent NYC meet in June with CTH and O2 amps and they had overpowering bass which bleeds into mids and changes the music. Even their owner admitted that they are god only for some types of music. I also heard Mad Dogs but can't comment since they were not current version. Dan implemented latest bass mod after he came back from NYC. I do have Mad Dogs with comfort headband and Dog Pads on preorder since the day I find out they were announced at the main Mad Dog thread

post #8 of 12

Paradox and Mad Dog are just very much better than Thunderpants. 

post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by olegausany View Post

I heard Thunderpants at the recent NYC meet in June with CTH and O2 amps and they had overpowering bass which bleeds into mids and changes the music. Even their owner admitted that they are god only for some types of music. I also heard Mad Dogs but can't comment since they were not current version. Dan implemented latest bass mod after he came back from NYC. I do have Mad Dogs with comfort headband and Dog Pads on preorder since the day I find out they were announced at the main Mad Dog thread

The current version is not as good as the new version..it is NOT  a night & day difference,but it is definetly there..

I just had the new maddogs for 3 days..

New pads are also better,they wrap around the ear,& give more comfort & isolation..at least on my ears

Bass is increased..

Instrument isolation has increased..

Overall SQ has imroved

I strongly recommend them.

post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek200 View Post

The current version is not as good as the new version..it is NOT  a night & day difference,but it is definetly there..
I just had the new maddogs for 3 days..
New pads are also better,they wrap around the ear,& give more comfort & isolation..at least on my ears
Bass is increased..
Instrument isolation has increased..
Overall SQ has imroved
I strongly recommend them.

Curious how you compare the Mad Dogs to the LCD-2's which I see from your profile that you also own. Other than that they are both orthos it doesn't seem right to compare a $300 closed can to a $995 open one, but many in the main MD thread compare the MD's favorably to the LCD-2's. thoughts?
post #11 of 12
Mike now that the bass is improved, is it even closer to the lcd2? And what amp do you use to drive them?
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek200 View Post

The current version is not as good as the new version..it is NOT  a night & day difference,but it is definetly there..

I just had the new maddogs for 3 days..

New pads are also better,they wrap around the ear,& give more comfort & isolation..at least on my ears

Bass is increased..

Instrument isolation has increased..

Overall SQ has imroved

I strongly recommend them.


I preordered mine on 08/19/12 and looks like wasn't the lucky one who got las pair of those few Dan shipped last week so just patiently waiting for mine toarrive sometime in September

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Mr Speakers Mad Dog vs Smeggy's Thunderpants ( Fostex T50RP MODS )