Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") Last post on Today at 2:46 am in Headphones (full-size)
- My experience of M50x Last post on 11/16/14 at 2:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- X3 firmware 3.22-3.24beta--M3U playlists, 5-band EQ. #nooneleftbehind Last post on Yesterday at 12:40 pm in FiiO
- Are there any portable headphones with HiFiMAN-like signature? Last post on 11/1/14 at 1:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- FiiO X1 firmware version 1.10 download and discussion thread Last post on Today at 12:36 am in FiiO
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 7/30/14
Brainwavz S0 Quick Review Thanks to mp4nation for the sample. Full Review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/743834/brainwavz-s0-review-by-mark2410 Brief: The S5 has a baby...
Over the recent months, Creative has been bursting out some pretty nice portable gears aiming from the basic casual user all the way up to serious audiophiles. Most importantly, they are pricing...
When Blue Microphones (started in California in 1995) announced the Mo-Fi, I was immediately intrigued. Here was a well-respected and highly regarded microphone manufacturer with...
The main selling point of this DAP is its size. Operation is straightforward, and small screen is better than none. Sound signature is likeable, detailed enough and musical enough. It uses RKnanoC...
I realize this is ancient news in 2014 but I recently rediscovered my iAudio7 and am loving it. It sounds remarkably good for a "fun"-signatured DAP and holy mackerel, the battery life is...
FiiO " Flagship " portable amp Mont Blanc/E12 discussing thread. - Page 32
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The preorder was a special that FiiO offered, where ten headfiers and ten facebookers got to order early.
Following is some information from Feiao on that special offer thread regarding the release. I believe the first to be release to the general public will be the set going to Micca. Maybe you should contact them if they are doing a preorder?:
"We are burn-ing the first batch of Mont Blanc , it take 3 hours to charge it to full battery and them take about 15 hours to run off the battery with music play. after 3 times ,
we will assemble it to the final unit and test all the performance and functions, So far everything just go smooth and we may delivery all the pre order . and them the other
200pcs will be available in U.S at the end of Jan, 2013 and sold by Micca store.
The next batch will be start in Feb and the third batch will be available in March , for most customers, they may need to wait till March if they can buy one among the 1st, 2st
batch. because the total quantity before the third batch is only about 1000 units."
Personally, I'd just call Micca or shoot them an email. I have no idea if they are doing a pre-order, though. I just suggested it may be worth checking.
The E17 has a built in Digital-to-Analogue-Converter (DAC), so it will act like a quality stereo sound card when you plug it into your computer. The E17 also allows treble and bass adjustment on the device. It would be classified as a portable DAC + amp device.
The E12 (Mont Blanc) is a different kind of product, it is a portable amp that is between 3 and 4 times as powerful as the E17's amp. The Mont Blanc is intended to be plugged into another source like the headphone out of an iPod, computer, etc. I am going to use mine with my iPod and my gaming setup, as the last component before I plug in my headphones (AKG Q701, which benefit from more powerful amps than a headphone designed to work with an iPod).
If I needed one device to carry around with a laptop, I would buy an E17. It's a pretty good all-in-one device. But, since I have a nice soundcard in my desktop computer (my laptop is broken), and a separate DAC for other devices, I choose to get an E12 Mont Blanc so I would have a really powerful amp that I can easily take and connect to multiple devices around my house and (hopefully) at work.
Edited by Evshrug - 1/1/13 at 3:45pm
But if your wrong equation "which is better" actually means "which has more power as an amplifier" I'll give you an answer: the E12 delivers around 850mW @ 32ohms (as feiao posted in the previous page), while the E17 delivers 220mW @ 32ohms... If you do your maths correctly you can easely say that the E12 turns out to have more power. For comparision, the E11 Kilimanjaro delivers 180mW at the same load, so yes, the E12 has THAT much more power.
EDIT: evshrug is faster than me!
Edited by MrScratch - 1/1/13 at 2:31pm
I thought the E11's amp was slightly more powerful than the amp half of the E17?
Edit: WOAH, new design of the FiiO page! Their specs match what MrScratch said, I thought I'd read differently before. The new site has a few typographical and spelling errors, but overall shows a huge positive leap in providing more information.
Edited by Evshrug - 1/1/13 at 2:56pm
- FiiO " Flagship " portable amp Mont Blanc/E12 discussing thread.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Light Harmonic GEEK 22 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 43 seconds ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 1 minute ago
- › Forza AudioWorks - The Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Most comfortable, portable, over the ear cans? Under $200 7 minutes ago
- › Official New York Spring Meet Sat May 16 2015 8 minutes ago
- › Trafomatic Experience Head One 10 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 10 minutes ago
- › Orthodynamic Roundup 11 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by mark2410
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by ClieOS
- › Blue Microphones Mo-Fi Powered High-Fidelity Headphones with... by MacedonianHero
- › Basic K3 by nino9
- › Cowon iAUDIO 7 16Gb by Climber
- › Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones by TheHeadPhoneGuy
- › Shure SRH840 by SoundApprentice
- › Beyerdynamic DT-990 Professional Headphones by SoundApprentice
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by anoobis
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by dweaver
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)